Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedMoving.....

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
leelee327 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving.....
    Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 5:10am

Hello Everyone,

Ok so I currently live in NC but I want to relocate to GA. I have a degree in psychology, so I have been working in the mental health field in NC. I want to relocate to GA because I originally wanted to attend grad school in GA, but I want to continue to put grad school on hold because I think I might want to go in a different direction, but I am still interested in the grad school in GA. So my question is what type of jobs could I work in GA with a degree in psychology? I don't think I want to continue in the mental health field, but it is still an option of working in the MHF because I have experience. I am interested in seeking a career in advertisement. Does anyone have any suggestions for careers in advertisement or education?  

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links

Splendor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 1:13pm
Not to discourage you but I hear the job market in GA is very bad. I have relatives moving b/c of it and another who hasn't found a job since January.

I would steer clear of states in the red  and find a state in the blue. i.e. Texas, Iowa...
2goodeyestoo View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 1:06pm
I was always told that with a degree in psych that you need at least a MA or a PHD, not sure if this is still true. I think that you will need to continue to focus on school in order to get the type of money that you desire.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 9:39am
Originally posted by 2goodeyestoo 2goodeyestoo wrote:

I was always told that with a degree in psych that you need at least a MA or a PHD, not sure if this is still true. I think that you will need to continue to focus on school in order to get the type of money that you desire.

THIS IS TRUE. Im sorry, but a undergrad degree in psych will really lead you no where, and that when the economy is doing well. During these, times....its going to be a long shot. And then you want to get into advertising?!?!?! Confused

My advice: go to grad school in GA, get a GA position at the school so you'll hav reduced tuition to cut costs and THEN get a job.

ETA: UGA has a marketing masters program that partners with Coca Cola that is headquarted in Atlanta.

Edited by goodm3 - Sep 01 2009 at 9:41am
slykitten View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2009 at 4:14pm
You might want to try working in a group home for mentally challenged children or adults.  That is the one area I know people with a BA/BS in Psych have gone into.  I figure thats an area that could always use some help.  Good luck!
LilMissSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2009 at 10:26pm
Umm...I digress. If you have a bachelors degree you can get a job, but what do you want to do is the question?

You can get into all sorts of entry level positions. Don't let anyone discourage you. Obviously, if you don't wanna continue in mental health then don't go to grad school for psych.

Things you could do:
Various government jobs
social worker
entry level jobs in business, etc.
Manager of a retail store/fast food place
work with people with disabilities, such as autism and etc.

Just research what you want to do.
Jamillah81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 9:46am
I agree with Splendor that the job market in GA isn't that great right now. It has doubled within the last year and it is getting worse every month. http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usunemployment&met=unemployment_rate&idim=state:ST130000&q=georgia+unemployment+rates
Research the unemployment stats, that isn't discouragement, it's numbers. Then again, the job market is pretty bad in a lot of places right now!! Texas doesn't look so bad!

My personal experience is that I have several friends in GA with experience who have been laid off and can't find work. I just moved out of Atlanta after living there for 10 years. I graduated with a Bachelor's in Biology this past December and couldn't find a job in my field in Georgia after searching for 9 months. I've been told that it was because of the sheer number of applicants. A degree doesn't automatically guarantee you a job. Consider that Atlanta is home to Clark Univ, Spelman, Morehouse, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Emory Univ and Kennesaw Univ -- all 4 year institutions, many of which are churning out graduates seeking entry level jobs every 6 months. Again, this isn't discouragement, it's fact. These are things you should be knowledgeable and mindful of prior to moving. You may find a job quickly and easily, but if you don't, you should know why!

If you haven't already, I would do a cost of living comparison between your current city and the city you plan on moving to in GA. http://www.bestplaces.net/col/ Another reason I left is Atlanta housing costs are much more expensive than the city I moved to (although the job market where I moved to is a lot worse).

If you move to GA I would suggest temporarily remaining in the career area you have the most experience in first and then move before applying for jobs in another field. If you move first and later try to switch fields, you are more likely to find gainful employment.

Good luck and blessings on your move and whatever you decide career-wise!
leelee327 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2009 at 4:14am
Thanks everyone for your advice it is appreciated, but I don't think I will be moving anytime soon. Now I am going to focus on researching career options and figure out what I want to pay thousands of dollars to go to school for.

Thanks Everyone
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic