BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving to LA. Good Idea?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 1:21am
Without a car, you're better off in the bay area. Sf public transit is one of the best in the country, the best, IMO...Oakland transit is pretty decent too..you can live in Oakland for a moderate price and commute by subway to sf within 15 min. Sf minimum wage is 10.55, so if you actually have job skills you can make a decent amount of money. CCSF is also a really good school for a jc.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Dec 27 2012 at 1:41am
Sponsored Links

f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Daleebra Daleebra wrote:

Hey, im 25 and a student in Chicago, IL. Im getting kind of bored with this industrial city and looking to relocate to where there's actually good weather. Anyone stay in LA and can give me some advice? How is the black community out there? Especially dark-skin black women, would love to hear what you have to say.

I won't have a car starting out and i'm looking into getting into a community college and working. How is the job situation? Are there more affordable neighborhoods in proximity to LA? 

Looking for any advice, I have to decide before the first of the year! Smile

Love.

what do you mean?
Daleebra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daleebra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 1:27am
I was thinking Maybe Oakland or Sacramento! If anybody else is looking I found this: http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/rent-prices-soar-in-oakland/Content?oid=3417061  I wonder how the job market is... Most mainstream articles seem inflated
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 1:28am

Hey, im 25 and a student in Chicago, IL. Im getting kind of bored with this industrial city and looking to relocate to where there's actually good weather. Anyone stay in LA and can give me some advice? How is the black community out there? Especially dark-skin black women, would love to hear what you have to say.

I won't have a car starting out - public transit isnt all that reliable, and a monthly pass is hella expensive

and i'm looking into getting into a community college and working. - Your school might give you a discount on a bus pass, depending on where you go. Your best bet would be SMC, but it'll be hell getting there everyday, because you aint livin in Santa Monica or West LA without money

How is the job situation? -  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL JOBS? Seriously, it's not that bad if your willing to pound the pavement extensively. 
 Are there more affordable neighborhoods in proximity to LA? - Not really. A studio in the valley might run you around $700/month. 

Looking for any advice, I have to decide before the first of the year! Smile

Love.

All in all, I wouldnt move here if I didnt have a job lined up, and/or a lot of money saved up. Maybe you should try Palmdale (another city in LA County) or something, save up some money, then move further west. 
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 1:30am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Even in LA a car is needed?
But all the tv shows said...

All the TV shows LIED.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 1:31am

I was thinking Maybe Oakland or Sacramento! If anybody else is looking I found this: http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/rent-prices-soar-in-oakland/Content?oid=3417061  I wonder how the job market is... Most mainstream articles seem inflated

Don't do Sacramento. There's not much going on there. Transit is slow and no underground.

You won't find a ton of work in Oakland but sf is literally right next door and there are jobs there. As far as rent, that depends on how much you're prepared to pay?
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 1:32am
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Even in LA a car is needed?
But all the tv shows said...

All the TV shows LIED.

I figured the trolley would take me to my doorstep and any which way I wanted to go
khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 1:33am
Go for it. Research neighborhoods..maybe look for a roommate situation to start with. If it is possible, buy a little get around car in Chicago and drive over to L.A. Submit resumes prior to leaving to see what kind of responses you get. Also, you can sign up with a temp agency. You can make it happy, but have a plan in place. Good luck! 
305bgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 305bgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 2:05am
Good schools=SMC or West La for community college
Good neighborhoods= Palms, Culver City, Cheviot Hills, Brentwood, Westwood, Studio City, some parts of Sherman Oaks, Marina Del Rey, Valencia, Mt. Washington, and West Hollywood(more east is a lot of Mexicans). 
It is possible to get around without a car depending on how close u live to your school, job, and main streets. You could try to move in Palms, Culver City, or some parts of Cheviot so that u are in walking distance to either Venice Blvd, Pico, or National Blvd if you want to attend SMC.

Definitely save before you move because the cost of living in a good area is a little expensive and a car would be ideal.
305bgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 305bgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 2:08am
Oh and do you mean dating for Dark skinned women? 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic