Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving To Houston what should I expect?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fckwitmeuknoigotit View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote fckwitmeuknoigotit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:16am

houston mosquito, tbh..

Sponsored Links

Fcgriffin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fcgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:29am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

humidity/rain

&

pretentiousness

LOL

This is really the most accurate answer ever.

The best part is that it's pretentiousness over… things we're all fairly/commonly aware. For comedic purposes--

Me: What would you like to drink?

Houston friend: Oh… *sigh/eye roll/half drawl* back in Houston (or at home) we have this like perfect mixture of hydrogen and oxygen… I don't think y'all have it here though.

Me: Water? You're describing water. We have water here.

Houston friend: No… *sigh/eye roll/half drawl* I'm pretty sure it's not free.

Me:

Everything is a constant comparison to H-town. I can't stand that generally. Have nothing good to say about where you currently live? Can't adapt? Constantly comparing it to where you used to be/live? Then, frankly, work on taking your ass back to where you came from and stfu.

It may take time, but clearly you (and the people you bore with this) would be happier.

Yessss!  I keep my Houston friends at arms length.  Lord they so effing annoying with the "Well here in Houston we have/are the best......."
nemesis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nemesis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Bribby Bribby wrote:

Naw there is cowboy boot wearer's in TX, in every city got to be in the right area.
So we got some people from SA Cool

Only city that be like a city and then just a patch of farm land with horses and cows and goats..
It's country.. it ain't like tumble weed, but some areas truly are..

TX is not like any place you've been...

Then SA is not like anyplace you been in TX 

Horrible ahhh drivers, half of em don't got no license

I seen someone I went to middle school with post on FB mind you we like 22 now, (im 20) "Finally getting my license today after so many years of driving without one.. im scared " lmfao

LOL
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:37am
You are young, single and with no kids...enjoy yourself in Houston. 

...TX has lots of opportunities, take advantage of them. If you are thinking of starting a business, Houston has a lot of support groups for black women business owners as well. 
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Fcgriffin Fcgriffin wrote:

Yessss!  I keep my Houston friends at arms length.  Lord they so effing annoying with the "Well here in Houston we have/are the best......."
[ak]guuuurrrrl[/ak] love to death; gotta to take em  in doses. LOL
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

You are young, single and with no kids...enjoy yourself in Houston. 

...TX has lots of opportunities, take advantage of them. If you are thinking of starting a business, Houston has a lot of support groups for black women business owners as well. 

Yup. And there is always something to do in Houston. It is a fun city. 
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 12:42pm
thx guys
*Belle*Femme* View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Belle*Femme* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 3:57pm
OMGGGGG!!!!!!
Im moving to houston next wednesday April 30 and was just about to make this thread. 

Where should I live?!!!
*Belle*Femme* View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Belle*Femme* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 4:03pm
ill be working in medical center but I need to figure out what area in houston I want to live in. Help!!!!! me!!!! Please!!!!! And folks talking about cost of living is cheaper. Ummmmmmmmm, half of the 1 bedroom apts I looked at are on par with the prices up north where I'm at. 
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keepgrowing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

ill be working in medical center but I need to figure out what area in houston I want to live in. Help!!!!! me!!!! Please!!!!! And folks talking about cost of living is cheaper. Ummmmmmmmm, half of the 1 bedroom apts I looked at are on par with the prices up north where I'm at. 

Houston has been increasing their prices unfortunately. 

Medical Center is an expensive area. A 1/1 for $1000 is considered a good price in that area smh.
Try har.com for condons/townhomes, but they are kind of pricey or just google housing with the area codes: 77054 and 77030 (medical center).

Rice Village is nice, but same price as medical center. Rice Village is 10 min from medical center. Downtown and midtown are very close to medical center as well, but sorta the same price range, but you might get lucky googling midtown or downtown apartments.

Pearland area is a suburb and about 20 minutes from medical center. They have affordable priced housing in that area. Try area code 77057 when searching for housing.

Southwest area is very affordable, but it is 30-45 min from medical center. Traffic is horrendous going from southwest to medical center during rush hour though.

PM if you have anymore questions.

Edited by keepgrowing - Apr 22 2014 at 6:15pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair