Have you at least visited Ghana?
I wouldn't just up and move there for the heck of it. I spent several weeks traveling around Ghana and though I enjoyed the exposure to the people/culture ... geesh at about week two I was ready to leave. I am not putting down Ghana is case anyone is from there but nooo, I couldn't live there - and I think AAs really romantize life in Mother Africa. I have visited many countries and the life is hard all around.
- did I feel welcomed and warmed by there by the people ... not really, people are too busy struggling
- it is a very, very traditional culture .. everything is about family and honor - sorry but that would suffocate an individualist like myself. It really is 'frozen in time' in this manner. Like many African countries, they have traditions that have been passed down since .... forever.
- the poverty is massive,massive in West Africa - the only place worse is India
- the culture. As a 'Westerner' you will surely stick out like a sore thumb.
- you don't have and family/status there so as a man .. what family would want their daughter to marry you?
- yes, everyone wants to be your friend so that they can come home with you .. so sometimes it's hard to tell why this person or that person wants to get to know you because you feel like they want something.
- rice, beans, veggies and some meat with spices is the order of the day ... which gets old after a while
- they don't really have a 'Western' lifestyle in terms of Grocery stores etc. They exists ... but are quite different in terms of the foods they stock
- for example .. there were hordes of men out by the creek everyday washing a ton of clothes in Accra - and the water was filthy
- but the worse is the poverty. Everyone walks around like it's nothing, I guess because they are used it but even if you have money you have to see how other people live ... which is very hard
- the areas I loved the best were out in the countryside like Kumasi where people basically lived on the land
- and how would you support yourself? I would think simular to moving to Europe, you must have your 'papers' in order to gain residency. That is a pain in any country.
Anyway, it was a great experience but as mentioned earlier, it is very hard for most Americans even live in Europe ... but to up sticks and move to Ghana ummm my hat's off to you as I know I could never adapt to the lifestyle.
Edited by Printer_Ink - Jul 29 2013 at 5:53pm