BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

- Moved: Fitness/Diet/Inspiration 13 for TTT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358359 515>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 30 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by yurika975 yurika975 wrote:

Hey afro! Cute model in the avi. How much weight should I use if I want to start squats with hand weights? I want it to be effective. I'll be picking some up soon. Good luck with your workout. I know you can do it! 

hey,

hand weights, hmm i always start with the lowest weight possible and work towards a 10-12 rep range max,

if you can get to the set rep range easily, then you add on more weight

and always write down your sets thats how you know whether to increase weight or not

well, i did my squats i couldnt go beyond 7 sets maxing out at 8 reps, but i did it regardless

if i had someone with me i would have been able to get ten reps out of each set.

i'll repeat this in 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links

yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 7:00pm
Cool afro thanks! You normally workout solo? A partner can help push you, well one that is actually working out and not just there to look cute lol. 
film_maker23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote film_maker23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Dapheny Dapheny wrote:

Originally posted by film_maker23 film_maker23 wrote:

Originally posted by Dapheny Dapheny wrote:

How quickly could one lose 50lbs on a low carb diet?

If you stick to it strictly you can get pretty great results...essentially you're body uses more fat for fuel as opposed to carbs so the more disciplined you are with your carb intake the better results you'll see....I do something similar to help trim fat and lean out, a cyclical ketogenic diet but I'm getting little to no carbs and then I'll do a carb load for one day out of the week.

do you gain weight from  this?

carb load= eating lots of carbs right?

you CAN gain weight from this if you go overboard on the carb load day. It should definitely be healthy carbs like fruits and veggies and grains. I dont know how to explain it scientifically but imagine that our bodies run on carbs for energy and we switch that energy source to fat, in short thats the easiest way to present the basic idea of Ketosis. Your body begins to use fat as a source of energy, the fat that you eat and the fat on your body, hence the reason why people lose alot of weight very quickly on Atkins and Ketogenic style diets. However when you sporadically present carbohydrates back into the mix your body readjusts for that time and uses carbs again. Alot of body builders use this strategy in a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet. It allows them to keep a low body fat but still include carbs in their diet perioidically. Timing and the amount of carbs you intake is key. Usually its suggested that you do a carb load for one day out of the week followed by an intense workout the next day to deplete as much glycogen as possible. I do the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet because I'm working towards competing in a Bikini Figure competition, so my goal is to lean out as much as possible and build muscle mass. I have a very specific diet I follow and a coach who is helping me with my nutrition and training.

Here's a further description of basic Ketosis I found online. You should research it more to see which type is best for you.

When you eat carbs your blood glucose level is raised and your pancreas secretes insulin. This insulin puts your muscle and fat cells into “storage mode”. Your fat cells store away the glucose as triglycerides. Insulin also prevents your fat cells from breaking down those triglycerides back into fatty acids and releasing them into your blood stream for use as energy. This is important: Insulin both causes fat absorption and prevents fat from being used as energy.

If you were to eat sugary snacks throughout the day you are keeping your insulin level high which constantly keeps your fat cells in a state of absorption and prevents the release of fat and its use as energy.

Eating fat and protein does very little to raise your insulin level.

So the bottom line here is, if you want your body to burn fat – meaning if you want your fat cells to break down triglycerides into fatty acids, release them into your blood stream and actually use them as energy – you need to keep your insulin level as low and absolutely avoid spikes in insulin.

A note on calories: Counting calories or increasing exercise output, according to the research of Taubes and many others, is a bad way to try to lose weight because what usually happens is instead of your body burning fat to make up for the deficit in calories, it simply decreases the amount of energy it expends. So you end up lethargic and still fat.

There is a lot more to this, but the science above is the rationale behind all Low GI, Low Carb and Ketogenic diets. It is why you lose weight on these diets while consuming the same number of calories.

Low Carb and Low GI diets work because they cut out carbs that cause spikes in insulin, which you now know will cause fat absorption and prevent fat burn.

The Ketogenic diet takes this one step further. It keeps your insulin level low which puts your body into fat-release-fat-burn mode, but also significantly increases the fat content in your diet and teaches your body to use fat as energy. Your body (your liver in particular) will enter a state of Ketosis and will break down fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies which will be used as energy.

During the diet you can measure how much fat your body is burning by monitoring your output of acetoacetate using Ketostix. When you enter a Ketogenic state, you will see a Ketone output of 5 to 20 mg/dL (According to “Why we get fat” by Taubes and my experience). The Ketostix I have also measure blood glucose which is useful to test for Ketoacidosis which you are not at risk for unless you are diabetic.

Note that Ketostix are used by diabetics to test whether they are entering a state known as Diabetic Ketoacidosis which is very dangerous. In this case they will see very high ketone levels accompanied by blood sugar levels of greater than 240 mg/dL. You should be seeing blood sugar levels of zero (according to your Ketostix) during your diet.

Some people don't agree with eating this way, but I enjoy it. Here are a few links

http://markmaunder.com/2012/07/22/the-basic-ketogenic-diet/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyclical_ketogenic_diet.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark86.htm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote film_maker23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by yurika975 yurika975 wrote:

Alright filmaker, you seem to be one of the resident experts on training. I was wondering if I should do more low carb meals. I want to drop weight and be healthy. I know diabetes runs in my family. I was tested when I was thinner and told that I make lots of insulin. 

I would research low carb diets more to see which is the best for you. Some are very strict while others allow a bit more relaxed. The more knowledge you have the better you can discern which is more beneficial for your health goals.
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 9:20pm
Be careful with Low carb high protein diets tho......they can lead to kidney stones and Ketosis could lead to kidney damage

Try the induction phase of Atkins to jump start your weight loss.
HunnyB View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HunnyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 9:23pm
If you decide to go extreme tho, drink LOTSSSSS of water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote film_maker23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 12:30am
Originally posted by HunnyB HunnyB wrote:

Be careful with Low carb high protein diets tho......they can lead to kidney stones and Ketosis could lead to kidney damage

Try the induction phase of Atkins to jump start your weight loss.

Yes. Do as much research as you can and look at all the pros and cons. Consult your doctor as well if you have one.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 6:08am
good early morning run. 
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 7:49am
Morning Tattee...you getting the morning runners high in early huh! I wish I could run...I think that will be my goal by the end of this year.

Walked to work and hitting the gym by 2...
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

Morning Tattee...you getting the morning runners high in early huh! I wish I could run...I think that will be my goal by the end of this year.

Walked to work and hitting the gym by 2...

Mornin JewelsHug  i couldnt run a block a year agoLOL i started by walking.  i would go for long walks and one day i decided to try to run.  i couldnt even run to the end of the block but i tried it again every day after that. so id walk, run and walk. eventually i started running more than i walked and one day i just started running and didnt stop. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 355356357358359 515>
  Share Topic