Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - More 27 Year Olds Live With Parents Than Roommates
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

More 27 Year Olds Live With Parents Than Roommates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More 27 Year Olds Live With Parents Than Roommates
    Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:04pm
What does this say about modern day America? 

More 27-Year-Olds Live With Parents Than Roommates

A recently published study from the Department of Education casts new light on the State of the 27-Year-Old Today. The report, which in 2002 began following roughly 15,000 young men and women from their sophomore year in high school through their mid-20s, draws a picture of educated, debt-saddled young adults, more than half of whom are in some kind of committed relationship. It shows, incredibly, that around 10 percent of 27-year-olds feel they have already fulfilled their career goals. (Dear Lord—either these Americans have set scanty goals or that is a lot of leaning in.) But perhaps the most surprising factoid is this: There are more men and women at age 27 living with their parents than with roommates. 

According to the study's authors:

Overall percentages for all 2002 sophomores as of 2012 were as follows: 19 percent were living alone, 42 percent were living with a spouse or partner, 10 percent were living with roommate(s), 23 percent were living with their parents, and 6 percent had some other arrangement.
So, granted, the plurality of 27-year-olds have shacked up with a romantic partner—and, the report says, this pattern holds across all levels of educational attainment. But among all participants except bachelor’s degree holders, who were slightly more likely to be living alone than with mom and dad, the parental nest was a close second. And, again, everyone was more likely to live with their folks than with roommates. Pop quiz! Is this because:

-Roommates are at best one of the world’s great Russian roulette games, and at worst a plague upon humanity?

-Millennials are victims of a coddling culture of self-esteem, broken-winged, suffocated by the poisonous comforts of suspended adolescence?

-The Great Recession made it impossible for many 27-year-olds to afford rent?

I know which choice seems right to me. The study finds that almost 80 percent of 27-year-olds are in debt, whether from student loans, credit cards, or mortgages; since 2009, 40 percent have been unemployed; more than 85 percent describe their finances as either “somewhat stressful” or “extremely stressful”; and in 2010, as the Atlantic’s Jordan Weissmann pointed out, they were more likely to be earning less than $15,000 from work than they were to be earning more than $40,000. (Weissmann has created some nifty charts based on the data.)

When I lived with my parents (lo those many years ago—two years), the arrangement was more than convenience—it was necessity. Getting a paying job helped. But I am already anticipating the “millennials are shiftless bums” spin on this data and preparing my personal, indignant defense: I have never received a participation trophy for a sport in my life, nor do I know many 26-year-olds who have. Though I am grateful that my parents were willing and able to let me live with them, my sojourn at home wasn't about my reluctance to leave the nest. It was about, on some level, having a place to sleep while I blundered through the job search. Or having a place to blunder while I slept through the job search. In any case, thanks, Mom and Dad.
Sponsored Links

Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:09pm
My opinion on this is I don't see a problem if u are saving up for your own home, paying debt, working a real job to save $$ (not no Mcdonalds type of gig), etc. But I notice some people past 21 who still live at home aren't really doing anything productive. They are comfortable and their parents don't want them to leave so they like "Might as well chill here". And that's not good for them imo. Some people need to get kicked out so they can reach their true potential. Some might really be slow tho and their parents don't want them out here assed out. 
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (13) Thanks(13)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:10pm
This is the norm in many societies.
I was kind of shocked when I moved here and saw people moving out at 17.

But anyway, money is becoming a figment of the imagination to the general public now. Yet ads are still everywhere, the message 'spend your money on this' is everywhere, meanwhile the unemplyment rate here in Canada just jumped to 7.2% in December.

Something doesn't add up..pun intended!
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:10pm
oh.....
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (12) Thanks(12)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:10pm
Praise celing cat for loving supportive parents.

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:25pm
many parents [now] wont' let them leave LOL
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:36pm
If you're in school FT, working FT and trying to make it I don't have much to say.

I do have some grown cousins who are being coddled and doing absolutely nothing and living at home for free.Ermm

Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 1:49pm
The minimum wage here in Toronto is $10.25 and it will be increasing to $11 in April.

Well guess what? Most jobs already start at $11 or $12 (no benefits a lot of the time) so it's basically like nothing will change once the minimum wage goes to $11.

We were asking for $14, but naw, that's too high for us.
No adult should be working for less than food and shelter can afford as a minimum! Plus our tax is 13%

companies are now being slick and hiring only part time. So $11 on 15 hrs a week after taxes is basically zero.
So yeah, more and more people are either moving back to their parents, or not leaving at all.

Going to school or not.

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 2:01pm
The combination of the student loan crises, graduating at the height of the recession and few jobs leaves many with no other choice

America is losing it's privileges, this news should be no surprise to anyone

Parents (should) provide a more stable environment than iffy roommates
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2014 at 2:15pm
If they have parents who are cool with the arrangement, they why would I get worked up?  I try not to be in folks business so there are a myrad of reasons on why "grown" folks are staying with their parents' home.  I guess most of them want to be independent but unfortunately with the current economic situation we are in, you practically need at least two jobs to be on your own.  Unless folks want to sacrifice (i.e. no cell phone, not going out often, scrimping and saving whereever).
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic