Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Monistat Sulfur SUPER GROWTH Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 61>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:35pm
I dont know about that chart Damia. I think everything is about one level off. Like the photo of the 3a/b looks like a 3b/c to me. And the photo of the 3c looks like 4a to me.  Well good luck finding your way and a system that makes it pretty easy for you to do the looks you want.  I know there are some videos on youtube about ph balanced regimens. 

All I can say is I have definitely noticed that my hair feels so much silkier, more defined and more conditioned now that Im using this yogurt and natural things above than it ever did with just normal store conditioners.  I almost dont need any oil at all now in fact. The curl is getting more elongated when wet too and easier to deal with.  I found out that the yogurt coconut cream thing is actually used by a lot of women in India to keep the hair manageable. So I am going to keep on doing this every week  and lay off all chemicals for a while and see how it goes.

Good luck with your growth aids all and happy hair growing ! 
Sponsored Links

aGoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:09pm
LadyAradia, thank you for your post.  I agree wholeheartedly with your post.  

DamiaRose, if you want to stay all natural, but have the ease of styling your hair at the same time, LadyAradia is correct.  Stay with things in your kitchen.  I found that cows milk poured over the hair for half an hour will elongate your curls.  If you want the relaxed look (not bone straight, but close enough to it without affecting your curls), try out this recipe:

A half cup of yogurt, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 can coconut milk, 1/4 cup milk, 3 teaspoons lime juice (a real lime), 3 teaspoons aloe vera juice, 3 teaspoons coconut cream, 3 tablespoons honey, 3 tablespoons molasses.

You can freeze whatever you don't use.  Your curls will be elongated, and your hair straight.  It will last for 3 months.  you will not need to comb your hair, as you will be able to run your fingers through it with ease.

I have 4a hair, and my hair was super tight.  My hair came a long way from this treatment.  Always tweak your recipe to your hair type, and what is best for your hair.  Good luck on your hair growing journey.  You are off to a great start!

LadyAradia, I will be thanking you for your post and trying out your recipe too.  I know baking soda is a good clarifier, but I didn't know baking soda did all that.  You are quite knowledgeable about hair and I'm glad you started this post too. By the way, what does dried shiitake mushrooms and knox gelatin do for your hair, and where can you purchase it from?  How long do you boil it and how long do you leave it on your hair?  Oh yeah, and how often do your repeat the process?  Sorry for all the questions, but that recipe peaked my interest.
aGoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:15pm
Edit because I forgot 3 ingredients.

A half cup of yogurt, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 can coconut milk, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1/4 cup goats milk, 3 teaspoons lime juice (a real lime), 3 teaspoons aloe vera juice, 3 teaspoons coconut cream, 3 tablespoons honey, 3 tablespoons molasses, 1 jar baby bananas.

Edited by aGoddess - Aug 10 2013 at 12:13pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by aGoddess aGoddess wrote:

what does dried shiitake mushrooms and knox gelatin do for your hair, and where can you purchase it from?  How long do you boil it and how long do you leave it on your hair?  Oh yeah, and how often do your repeat the process?
OK I was looking at Brazilian Keratin Treatment's ingredients online. A lot of them were mainly hydrolyzed keratin  with formaldehyde  to bond the keratin to the strand to reshape it by flat ironing it.  The formaldehyde free formulas had propylene glycol instead of formaldehyde.   Well I realized that a lot of FOODS have formaldehyde in them believe it or not including bananas but dried shiitake mushrooms have the most. So, if I wanted to try a kitchen version of a BKT I would find one ingredient with formaldehyde and one ingredient with keratin. Knox gelatin is one of the best natural sources of keratin. The Bragg's Amino Acid is a building block of protein/keratin and many have used amino acids to soften the hair texture.   
This formula is strictly my invention so I have no idea how it will work yet. I am going to try it with the same method you do a BKT. Basically as follows:
  • shampoo hair w/ clarifying shampoo to remove any barrier to penetration
  • towel dry.
  • apply keratin/ formaldehyde solution
  • leave on up to one hour
  • rinse out
  • blow dry 
  • flat iron hair at  400-450
  • keep hair dry and straight for 3 days
I have no idea if this formula will work but  I will give it a try since its only gelatin and mushrooms LOL
I have read that BKTs can have from .2% to 12% formaldehyde. I doubt there will be that much in shiitake mushrooms but it is about the highest level from a food stuff  that I found online.   So I plan to just infuse the dried shiitake in hot water and then make the gelatin with the same water. As it is thickening I will add about 10 tbspns Bragg's Amino Acid. I will leave it on the hair for about an hour  and rinse flat iron as above. 
We will see what happens Wink

PS regarding the baking soda in the cherry lola coconut cream formula, I  do not even put baking soda in at all because my cuticles are already lifted from hair color. It just lifts the cuticle for those who do not have porous hair to help the protein to enter the strands, no big deal.  The amino acids and protein are what really help.  Regarding your formula, where did you find it. I cant imagine that you need that MANY different forms of milk in one concoction. If lactic acid is the active ingredient, I would think one form of lactic acid would be enough. 

By the way, she looked 3c 4a  before the treatment. Turned to 3b/c with the elongation when wet and back to a well defined 3c after the treatment dried imo.

Edited by LadyAradia - Aug 10 2013 at 8:14am
aGoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 1:00pm
Quote By the way, she looked 3c 4a  before the treatment. Turned to 3b/c with the elongation when wet and back to a well defined 3c after the treatment dried imo.
 Thanks for posting the videos.  I agree...something would need to be left out for me on this one.  Her curls were popping wet, but then the gel weighed her hair down and it shrank back up even tighter.  I think a good hair oil with flaxseed gel would have been so much better and natural looking, and would have given her the wet, shiny look when her hair dried.  I'm going to try this that way and see what happens.

Quote Regarding your formula, where did you find it. I cant imagine that you need that MANY different forms of milk in one concoction. If lactic acid is the active ingredient, I would think one form of lactic acid would be enough.
 Everyone online seemed to be trying to transition from relaxing their hair to go on a natural journey, but nobody could come up with an almost straight, but curls still defined look.  So, I figured since folic acid is the key ingredient for straightening hair, put all the foods I could think of with that in a mixture and see what happens.  OMG, this treatment lasts for 3 months.  When you wash your hair it will fall straight, but the curls are still defined.  It also is great for little to no manipulation, because your fingers glide through your hair, so there is no need for a comb pulling your precious hair out.  I hope this recipe will help anyone trying to transition from perming their hair.  I'm not knocking people who perm their hair, but as a cosmetologist, I would never recommend anybody do that to their hair.  Your hair is precious just like your body and what goes in it.  Everything bad (my opinion) you do shows through your hair and skin.

Will you post pictures after you do the mushroom treatment?  Either way, I will wait for your results.  Where can you purchase the shiitake mushrooms and knox gelatin from, and how often do you do the treatment?  I think it is...but Is blow drying the hair an important part of the steps, or can I air dry?

I'm off to buy my Bragg's and try the Cherry Lola treatment out today.  I'll let you know how it turns out.  Thanks so much for this!  DamiaRose, I bought my MSM the same day you posted.  I take it every day, so thank you too.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2013 at 3:51pm
I am not sure where to find the shiitake. I saw a pound on amazon. Not sure if they are at a local market or health food store. I will just search online.
I m not sure.

Edited by LadyAradia - Aug 10 2013 at 4:02pm
aGoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aGoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2013 at 2:15am
Alright, I found the mushrooms and gelatin at Walmart.  Today was a great day!  I finished my Cherry Lola treatment, moisturized and sealed.  I love it!  Applying my mixture and doing the GHE for the night and will style in the morning.  My hair is growing tremendously. Thumbs Up
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2013 at 5:52am
So glad to hear your hair is healthy, doing well and GROWING aGoddess!
Regarding the shiitake mushrooms, I plan put all mine in water to soak them over night if not a couple days. You can scoop out the mushrooms and use them in a dish! Maybe garnish some chicken with gravy and onions, etc. 

Just take off 2 cups of the  liquid from the shiitake mushrooms to mix with your 10-20 tbspns Bragg's Amino Acids 10 tbspns olive oil  oil and 2 packets of  Knox gelatin. Warm on the stove per the knox instructions and then store. Let sit to thicken. I found propylene glycol on ebay and will add about 2 ounces of that to this as well as it is sitting to thicken. (remember that is what is used in the formaldehyde free bkt to allow keratin to stay in the strand)

• comb it thru working it thru the hair as I would a relaxer. cover with conditioner cap for 1 hour.
  • Towel out any excess, then Blowdry and flat iron this IN THE HAIR.. Don't rinse it out. 
  • Must make about 10 passes of flat iron over each section at temp of 400 - 450 to seal keratin into the strands. The coating of Keratin (Knox gelatin) and oil will act as a heat protector.
  • Keep it straight and dry for 3 days before wetting to get the remainder of the residue out.

I am happy that you are going to do this treatment with me  and I hope it works GREAT for all of us! So glad the Cherry Lola was good for you too! 
Keep up all the wonderful Natural Hair Care!
Happy Growing All!

PS Thanks for the tip! I will dash out to walmart too to look for some dried shiitake mushrooms and knox gelatin. The Bragg's Amino Acids are at whole foods or at heath food stores I heard and def online.
Where did you get the Bragg's Amino Acids? It is one of the  main ingredient in both the Cherry Lola and this Shiitake Knox treatment.

Edited by LadyAradia - Aug 11 2013 at 3:14pm
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2013 at 9:02am
OK this is going to work! I just got 8 ounces of PROPYLENE GLYCOL off of ebay for $8.00.

Propylene glycol is a moisturizer for skin and hair and can be used like glycerin in the hair. 

It is the ingredient that makes the keratin (knox gelatin) go inside the strand for the formaldehyde free

Brazilian Keratin Treatment (instead of formaldehyde making it penetrate the shaft)

However, the non formaldehyde formula will not loosen the curl MUCH. It will only elongate it & make

it  more manageable.

SO, I will add about 10% propylene glycol to my Knox gelatin with shiitake mushroom water. That

would be about 2 ounces of propylene glycol to 2 cups of gelatin mixture as outlined above.

I will be collecting all my ingredients this week and probably do it this weekend coming up.

PS Incidentally, this knox gelatin/ olive oil and propylene glycol mix  MAY be used as hair gel too ! So 

once you've

flat ironed it and let that neutralize for 3 days, you can use any left over mix in the fridge for hair gel 

if you air dry!!

How cool is that!

More technical info:
"When these keratin treatment solutions are applied to hair, the aldehydes react with cysteine found in both the keratin solution and also with the hair. This creates crosslinks between hair keratin and product keratin and holds them together in a semi-permanent fashion. The bonds do not last forever though, and are gradually broken and the keratin is washed away in the shower, which allows the hair to return to its pre-treatment state." 

"The smaller polypeptides and amino acids of the hydrolyzed keratin penetrate the cuticle and help to plump the hair and fill in gaps. The larger-molecular-weight portions form a film on the surface of the hair and are held there by the crosslinks. The high-temperature flat-ironing process straightens the hair and locks in the new straighter conformation as well as seals the cuticle and the keratin film on the surface." http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/retexturizing/penetrating-the-veil-of-mystery-surrounding-keratin-treatments?page=3

Flat ironing the hair with the new softened cystein/keratin bonds is like molding water in an ice tray to give it a new form...straighter or smoother. Once the hair sets for 3-4 days the bonds become firm temporarily holding the hair in a new looser form. This will last for a few weeks to a few months. Sulfur unfortunately will help to remove the new coating and shape from the hair :(

Again, the formaldehyde free formula uses propylene glycol instead of formaldehyde to seal the product's keratin into the hair's keratin  instead of formaldehyde. And those two are the only significant ingredients to make this up.

To reiterate, propylene glycol is very safe for the hair. It is found in  over the counter sexual lubricantions,

Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper and other moisturizers. see:

The last step for me unfortunately is I need a good flat iron. Because there is no way my flat iron will

get any where near 400 degrees.... much less  450.

So I have shown here that all the ingredients  in this home made Brazilian Keratin Treatment with NO 

FORMALDEHYDE are actually VERY GOOD for the hair and can even be used on a daily basis as gel and 

lube!. My only concern is  whether it will actually loosen my curl any at all after I flat iron it in the 

hair. I hope to know the answer to that within a week.

The ingredients are similar to those in Organix BKT. Who would have known that there is little more in 

that than natural protein hair gel and moisturizing lubricant except some braggs amino acid.

Edited by LadyAradia - Aug 11 2013 at 3:25pm
DamiaRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamiaRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2013 at 6:08pm
Thank you ladies. I'll do my best with your suggestions and replace the animal ingredients with vegans one and hope that I get the same results. 

I did straighten my hair today out of pure boredom and it took me forever lol I'm happy with my choice and know that as soon as I'm comfortable with the natural length, I will cut off those 2" of hair relaxer ends and the tangling will definitely subside at least 80%. 

Again, thank you all!Clap

ETA: I went to my family's house today and my mom and sister asked me whether I had relaxed my hair and I went into snap snap mode and said, "Mmm I don't NEED a hair relaxer momma!" lol Dominicans are so caught up in this annoying "good hair/bad hair" trend that it felt good to finally show it off lol

Edited by DamiaRose - Aug 11 2013 at 6:11pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 61>
  Share Topic