Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Modifying regimens to retain length.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
*Redbone <3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Redbone <3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modifying regimens to retain length.
    Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 8:22am
Any ladies care to share on what they do to retain length?
Smile
Sponsored Links

bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2013 at 10:35pm
Shiiiid I need to know

I went from sl to apl this year by giving up combs, protective styling 5-6 days/wk and by never handling my hair without moisture. I need to hit bsl by March.
krisviola1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisviola1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 9:20am
Finger combing instead of using a wide tooth comb or Denman has helped me retain length the most.  Also, I learned what breaking hair sounds like.  My hair does make a little friction noise when combing, but if it's loud, popping or snapping then whatever it is I'm doing doesn't work.  If you wanna retain more length and prevent breakage, you gotta be your own hair's secret service. Protect at all costs.

I rarely use direct heat, only flat ironing maybe once a year and diffusing only for the dead of winter when I haven't planned enough ahead of time.

I also make myself get trims at least once a year.  I'd rather lose a quarter inch of split or damaged hair than let it run up my strands. But I'm a serial cutter.  Every few years I'm back to neck or ear length because a voice told me to.
*Redbone <3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Redbone <3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2013 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by krisviola1 krisviola1 wrote:

Finger combing instead of using a wide tooth comb or Denman has helped me retain length the most.  Also, I learned what breaking hair sounds like.  My hair does make a little friction noise when combing, but if it's loud, popping or snapping then whatever it is I'm doing doesn't work.  If you wanna retain more length and prevent breakage, you gotta be your own hair's secret service. Protect at all costs.

I rarely use direct heat, only flat ironing maybe once a year and diffusing only for the dead of winter when I haven't planned enough ahead of time.

I also make myself get trims at least once a year.  I'd rather lose a quarter inch of split or damaged hair than let it run up my strands. But I'm a serial cutter.  Every few years I'm back to neck or ear length because a voice told me to.

finger detangling has been helping me retain length too. I modified my denman brush and then i just smooth my hair with that. I only lose dead hair when i detangle. Thank God. lol 

i cant even bother with heat too much after i got severe heat damage last year. i had to transition all over again. i just cut the rest of my ends off about 5 months ago. 

Edited by *Redbone <3 - Oct 04 2013 at 7:21pm
Loves2Laugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 6:44am
Before my recent setback of absolutely NOOOO growth, using EVOO  before handling, shampooing and even moisturising stopped breakage - even on damaged hair. Also detangling and combing with Aussie Moist, EVOO and a wide tooth comb helped me to retain length.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2013 at 7:40am
I created a post with pics of breakage that BHM has bloody eaten Angry Angry Angry, I have to go out now but I'll try to post later on today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 2:35pm

PICTURES TAKEN APRIL (ISH) 2013:

I’d been experiencing this breakage since last year and I couldn’t figure out why. Granted, my hair care practices were crap (but as I’ve said before I’ve neglected it completely in the past and got more growth and much less breakage). Up until April 2013 I was washing every 3 months or more (I know, pretty grim ). BTW that hair is loaded with EVOO and Aussie Moist and was detangled with a wide tooth comb.

BHM NOT LETTING ME POST PICS HERE, WILL TRY BELOW

The first two pics may be misleading as the hair is really compacted in my hands because it kept falling off, but you can see how high it is in the second pic. And I don’t know if you can tell but it’s really, really dense. But my actually hair is fine with a low density.

The third pic shows how odd the breakage was. About half to a quarter of the breakage I was experiencing were chunks of hair like this. They were about four inches long unstretched. The chunks would start coming out from as soon as I began taking out the cornrows, and continued throughout  until it was braided up again.

I eventually figured out that it was because up until around of April of this year I was going to the hairdressers to cornrow my hair. I generally go to African hairdressers for braids, cornrows, twist etc coz hey braid really well. But as you know they rip the  out your hair when blow drying and and they always insist  on blow drying before braiding. I either used get my hair washed and DC’d at the salon, or washed and conditioned at home, moisturised whilst it was little damp then braid it up.

But I had enough of the pain, so I decided to wash, DC and blow dry at home then keep stretched in plaits so it would hurt less and when they blow dried at the salon. However, my hair can’t take that much heat, but I didn’t put two & two together until this year.

So when I realised, I obviously stopped using heat and also stopped going to the hairdresser.  I now braid my hair myself - I’m completely rubbish at it but it’s no one sees what’s under my wig  . I also used loads of EVOO as an overnight prepoo, in my conditioner, before moisturising and as well as IN my moisturisers ???? Yes it was overkill, and my face shone like a beacon for 2 months, lol  but the breakage subsided and I’ve now decreased the amount I use.

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Oct 07 2013 at 2:52pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 2:38pm

PICTURES TAKEN APRIL (ISH) 2013:

OK, so it's not working here either - sorry. I've had enough; I'll come back and try again another time.

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Oct 07 2013 at 2:55pm
iskalay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iskalay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2013 at 11:09pm
I stopped doing protein treatments

I moisturize more

Stopped using combs

Stopped doing complicating styles (been doing buns: fat twists pulled into a bun or pulled up, loose hair bunned, flat twists bunned....buns, buns, buns)

SCALP MASSAGES a few times a week

Less washing (from weekly to monthly...sometimes longer)

....In a nutshell, I've stopped doing "too much"...I leave my hair alone as much as possible. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loves2Laugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2013 at 3:59pm
LINKS TO BREAKAGE PICS - NO PW: http://public.fotki.com/Loves2Laugh/breakage-april-2013ish/

Apologies for all the posts; BHM is still not letting me add photos, nor will it let me edit my posts above to add the link there.

Edited by Loves2Laugh - Nov 08 2013 at 5:43pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>