Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Modeling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KhadiNiaomi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KhadiNiaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

Originally posted by KhadiNiaomi KhadiNiaomi wrote:

Its nothing serious Im not trying to puruse, I just wanted it to be a hobby over the summer and see it where it takes me. But thanks for the advice.
Oh. I'm thinking you were trying to go into some serious modelling like as a career. Oh okay well print stuff is the easiest to break into.
Yeah like posing for Nordstrom, forever21
Sponsored Links

KhadiNiaomi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KhadiNiaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

how much do you weigh? 
you're really short, so go into print. 

but don't invest too much into it. 
116-118 lbs
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 6:44pm
Go head girl, you can do anything you set your mind to!
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 4:50am
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

I mean, as someone with a cousins who work at two major fashion magazines. I can be honest, or I can be honest. I'm only being honest, however, when you get in front of the people who will hole your fate in their hands, they will be honest and you have to have thick skin to deal with that. Severely thick skin.

I agree, people should follow their dreams, but dreams should be measured within the scope of reality.

That's what I was trying to say.

Honestly, it's not just height and weight. It's your facial features, skin, teeth, length of your neck ... you name it.

They will look over a perfectly lovely young woman .. and tear her to shreds. Confused

Let's face it .. every young girl would like to believe that she is the next supermodel but there is only a tiny fraction of the population that actually can model. Period. There are LOTS of agencies that would be happy to string you along .. giving you odd jobs every few months though so that you can tell folks that you are 'a model' though.Confused

There was a TV called 'the network' or something like that where this guy that had X number of modeling agencies in NY for 30 some years would go to some little agency in some small town and revamp their business. The first thing he wanted to see were the models and 99% of them .. were not real models and had absolutely no potential for modeling.

The agencies would try to defend themselves saying 'there's all sorts of models out there' blah, blah, blah ... but an agency has got stay in business so they need people that can 'work' regularly .. else they become a second rate agency and no one takes them seriously in the industry. Confused 

So all the good contracts from top magazine etc will pass them over and go elsewhere for models. For the agency ... it's about Reputation. And a person just can't turn up at Nordstroms etc and say they want to model for them .. they have to be represented by a Modeling agent that can work out the terms for the contract etc.

So this guy on this TV show would put it right out there and he would even berate the agency for keeping these people on the books ... basically giving them false hope.

Then he would send his scouts out into the town and find women that had REAL potential for modeling and bring a boatload of them in. Wow ... what a clear difference in the sorts of women they used to represent and the sort of women he brought it.

It's a 'look' that you have to have. 

And ... certainly you have good self esteem and a strong sense of who you are if you want to hang with the big boys in NYC where girls that DO have real modeling potential ... have trouble getting work. Ouch 

It is ... competitive.

Again, if you want to try it .. do so, but keep a level head about it and be strong .. because it's a though business.

Edited by Printer_Ink - Apr 28 2013 at 5:15am
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 4:55am
Some people tell me I should but I think they're just referring to my height and weight. 
missdeeluxe View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote missdeeluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 9:51am
I've done some...it's really hard to set aside time to find jobs if you're working alone vs. working with an agency.
Model Mayhem is a good site to find local photographers and events/casting calls in your area but again, it takes a lot of work to weed out the sketchier ones from the legitimate.

A lot of photographers will offer to do shoots (like senior picture-esque, bridal, etc) as TFP (time for prints) as in you're compensated with the photos from the shoot vs. actually getting paid.
It's a good way to build up your portfolio.

Good luck girl!
Smile

*Belle*Femme* View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *Belle*Femme* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 10:40am
When I was younger I wanted to model. With an ass like this I quickly quit those dreams.
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 11:31am
Originally posted by KhadiNiaomi KhadiNiaomi wrote:

Nah, aint nobody got time fo'dat lol I want to try to model over the summer n NY and see where it takes me, but I dont know if thats possible.

I'm sure others have stated this as I didn't read all five pages after I read this but:

1. Everyone comes to NY to be "discovered" whether it be acting/singing/modelling. So, the competition is fierce and that means this isn't something you "try", it's something you do with passion and tenacity.

2. You need a good portfolio of shots, both editorial & candid to show your depth, range and the different looks you can take on.

3. Modeling, like any industry has a variety of niches. Which are you going for? Runway? Editorial? Lifestyle? Commercial? Spokesmodel? I don't know how tall you are but if you're not at least 5'10, runway and editorial will most likely not be an option for you unless you have a fierce walk or have the super symmetrical face with ideal features without makeup. (Not saying that to be a jerk, but that's how they feel).

4. Grow the world's thickest skin. SERIOUSLY. Grow the world's thickest skin. People will tear you down at the casting call and do it without caring whether or not they say it gently. And seeing how you've popped off here to people who don't matter...this will be the biggest thing you need to work on.

HTH
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 11:42am
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

When I was younger I wanted to model. With an ass like this I quickly quit those dreams.
LOL
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 11:52am
dp

Edited by FarraFace - Apr 28 2013 at 11:54am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>