she has soft, fine, cury, ringlets, which can also be very frizzy

Edited by laceyfront - Jan 27 2008 at 2:13pm
Sponsored Links

DyNy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2007 at 11:06am
I'm not mixed but I've heard of a product called mixed chicks. It may work
aishwarya_fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2007 at 5:13am
I don't use many commercial products on my biracial children's hair.  So, I can really only (highly) recommend Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner, and Aubrey Organics conditioners that are geared towards Dry/Frizzy hair like Aubrey Organics Island Naturals. Also, I recommend Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil under Spectrum or Jarrow brands as a sealing oil or pre-poo oil, and avoiding products that have petroleum, petrolatum, mineral oil/paraffin liquidim, and Sodium or Ammonium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate in them. My biracial friend uses IC Fantasia Gel with Sparklelites to keep curl definition after she applies her leave-in, but I have no experience with this product myself so I can't recommend it. HTH.

Edited by aishwarya_fan - Dec 29 2007 at 11:38am
marielblewis View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 9:34am
I am the mother of three of these little divas. Let me tell, they all have different hair. So there is no such thing as "mixed hair" because it is all different. You just have to learn what works best for your child's hair through trial and error and recommendations.

And please don't tell people to ask the black grandmother. It is rude and kinda ignorant.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2008 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by marielblewis marielblewis wrote:

And please don't tell people to ask the black grandmother. It is rude and kinda ignorant.

So true. It was my children's Italian grandmother who clued us into using herb infused Olive Oil on the hair, and their father (British/German/Italian) who suggested Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

And, ditto on the different hair types. My kids have very different hair types, and my twin bi-racial cousins have different hair from one another and from my kids. I totally agree that is a lot of trial and error, just like for all hair in general.
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2008 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by marielblewis marielblewis wrote:

I am the mother of three of these little divas. Let me tell, they all have different hair. So there is no such thing as "mixed hair" because it is all different. You just have to learn what works best for your child's hair through trial and error and recommendations.

I understand what your saying about the different hairtypes for mixed kids, my daughter isnt mixed but she has the texture that alot of mixed kids have and that most people associate with mixed children. Also Im so confused about hair types and may have gotten hers wrong which is why no one responded to my other post and I have gotten alot more responses with the mixed kids title, it just grabbed more attention and suggestions in this post have been just what I needed.
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2008 at 2:11pm
Is anyone using blended beauty products? they are exspensive and my daughter goes through almost a whole bottle of moisturizing oil a month, so this could be rather pricey. Is it worth it?
slayfresh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2008 at 12:06am
Africas Best Organics for Kids is a fantastic line. Their hair lotion is great. My daughter has 'mixed' hair even though she isn't and it is a great detangler and just makes the hair soft and super easy to manage and moisturizes.
MISTI BLUE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 9:38am
my two year old grandson is half mexican.  he has lots and lots of hair and my 19 year old daughter and I are at  a complete loss.  I have spent so much money trying to make his hair nice and manageable but it just wont behave.  He hates to get it combed and I wish his mother would just cut it off!  She is a young mother and she thinks it is cute to have a son with hair down his back, even if it is frizzy and puffy.  I am going to try all of the products mentioned above.  Thanks for the tips.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by MISTI BLUE MISTI BLUE wrote:

my two year old grandson is half mexican.  he has lots and lots of hair and my 19 year old daughter and I are at  a complete loss.  I have spent so much money trying to make his hair nice and manageable but it just wont behave.  He hates to get it combed and I wish his mother would just cut it off!  She is a young mother and she thinks it is cute to have a son with hair down his back, even if it is frizzy and puffy.  I am going to try all of the products mentioned above.  Thanks for the tips.

Your grandson's hair sounds like how my son's hair was when he had longer hair. Because it was all frizzy in the middle where his hair is super dry I cut it some yrs back and kept his hair at no longer than an inch for yrs. Now that I know more about how to take care of his hair and his hair stays more moisturized than ever before, I'm growing it back out. The best things I did to change the dryness & frizziness of his hair were:

1. Got a shower filter to remove chlorine in our water. After about  two weeks I noticed that all my kids' hair started to retain moisture better, was much less frizzy, and their scalps & skin stopped itching as badly as it did before.

2. Started to co-wash every 2-3 days with a good conditioner. I use Giovanni 50/50 Balanced. I only shampoo my son's hair once a week with a SLS free shampoo or shampoo bar. I follow up co-washes and shampoos with another good conditioner and leave it on for 5-8 minutes.

3. Use a good Leave-In after every co-wash/shampoo. I use Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and just a quarter sized amount. Then, I apply a little bit of Coconut Oil.

4. Moisturize daily with a water based mositurizer. I do Distilled Water with a lot of Giovanni Direct Leave In, like 6oz water to 2 oz Giovanni, and call it a day. After I spray on the moisturizer I apply a little bit of Coconut Oil or Olive Oil to his hair.

5. I have my son sleep on satin pillowcase.

6. I comb his hair with a wide toothed comb when it's wet and covered in conditioner. I start by detangling ends first. I found that way to be the only way he doesn't complain when a comb touches his head. Otherwise, I fingercomb lightly after his hair has been moisturized with my spritz.

7. I very rarely ever use a brush. Usually can go over several months without brushing it. I only brush his hair if there's lent that won't come out with a wide toothed comb, so it's brushed only afetr it has been detangled with a wide toothed comb. I brush very light handedly, and only a few strokes.

Edited by aishwarya_fan - Mar 13 2008 at 12:44pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic