Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Miracles do happen: Man lives x 3 days underwater!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Miracles do happen: Man lives x 3 days underwater!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miracles do happen: Man lives x 3 days underwater!
    Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 9:44am

How did a man trapped in the depths of the sea survive for three days in conditions that surely should have killed him?

Turns out that an air bubble was Harrison Okene's savior.

The Nigerian man had been lost at sea after his tugboat, the AHT Jascon-4, suddenly capsized and sank 100 feet below the surface of the ocean. Okene, a cook, was trapped in a four-foot bathroom with no way to signal for help, no food, no water—nothing, for three long days.

His miraculous survival was filmed six months ago by rescuing divers who had come to collect bodies and instead saw Okene's desperate, outreached hand seeking help. This week, the video has gone viral, bringing international attention to the power of an air bubble.

So how'd that bubble last so long?

Eric Hexdall, a nurse and clinical director of diving medicine at the Duke Center for Hyperbaric Medicine and Environmental Physiology, estimates that in an area of about 13.5 cubic meters—roughly the size of the air bubble Okene was trapped in—a person has about 56 hours before carbon dioxide toxicity sets in.

"If you're trapped in something like that, your carbon dioxide levels will build to a toxic level before you use up the oxygen," Hexdall said, emphasizing that carbon dioxide would be the first problem Okene would have faced, before running out of oxygen.

In addition to Okene creating more trapped carbon dioxide in the course of normal breathing, there is more carbon dioxide under water than on land.

Hexdall said that there are stages of deep sea carbon dioxide toxicity.

"At 50,000 parts per million [of carbon dioxide particles], you see measurable signs of toxicity," Hexdall said, referring to a "buzz" or "high" a person would experience. "At 70,000 parts per million, you lose consciousness pretty rapidly."

Hexdall estimates that Okene began to experience the first symptoms of carbon dioxide toxicity after about 56 hours.

"It wouldn't have necessarily poisoned him," Hexdall said. "It would have taken about 79 hours for him to be unconscious from carbon dioxide."

Okene was rescued after 60 hours of being trapped—right in the window for survival.

Threat of Air Pressure

Okene also managed to elude the threat of high air pressure, which can be deadly under water.

Under increased air pressure, human blood becomes saturated with nitrogen—Okene's nitrogen levels during his ordeal were much higher than ours on the Earth's surface.

Diving deep can bring on "nitrogen narcosis"—when under more than 80 feet of water, a swimmer can become dazed from the overwhelming levels of nitrogen in the water.

Then there's the problem of decompressing to surface air pressure after rescue.

"He can't come back to the surface immediately," said Petar Denoble, vice president of research at the Divers Alert Network. "If he did, he would die."

To get Okene and the divers who saved him back to normal pressure levels, the group had to enter a diving bell, also known as a transfer capsule.

Regardless of the science, Hexdall said Okene was lucky to have survived his ordeal: "I don't know what it was—it was divine providence." As it got colder, Okene recited a psalm his wife had sent by text message: “Oh God, by your name, save me. … The Lord sustains my life.”

Edited by Tbaby - Dec 05 2013 at 9:46am
Sponsored Links

Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (16) Thanks(16)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 9:46am
BOM BOM BOM BOM BOM
Bullet bullet bullet bullet
My God is great.
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 9:47am
omg, wow!  If that man don't understand how badly God wants him to live, and do something with this life he's lucky to still have...
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 9:48am
460x pic won't post

He was the only crew member out of 11 who survived!!  Incredible.  More info:

Okene’s ordeal began around 4:30 a.m. on May 26. Always an early riser, he was in the toilet when the tug, one of three towing an oil tanker in Nigeria’s oil-rich Delta waters, gave a sudden lurch and then keeled over.

“I was dazed and everywhere was dark as I was thrown from one end of the small cubicle to another,” Okene said in an interview with Nigeria’s Nation newspaper after his rescue.

He groped his way out of the toilet and tried to find a vent, propping doors open as he moved. He discovered some tools and a life vest with two flashlights, which he stuffed into his shorts.

When he found a cabin of the sunken vessel that felt safe, he began the long wait, getting colder and colder as he played back a mental tape of his life — remembering his mother, his friends, but mostly his wife of five years, with whom he hadn’t yet fathered a child.

He worried about his colleagues — the Ukrainian captain and 10 Nigerians, including four young cadets from Nigeria’s Maritime Academy. They would have locked themselves into their cabins, standard procedure in an area stalked by pirates. He alone survived.

He got really worried when he heard a loud sound in the water outside — sharks or barracuda, he supposed — fighting over something big.

As the waters rose, he made a rack on top of a platform and piled two mattresses on top.

“I started calling on the name of God,” Okene told the Nation. “I started reminiscing on the verses I read before I slept. I read the Bible from Psalms 54 to 92. My wife had sent me the verses to read that night when she called me before I went to bed.”

He survived on a single bottle of Coke.

Okene really thought he was going to die, he said, when he heard the sound of a boat engine and an anchor dropping, but failed to get the attention of its crew. He figured, given the size of the sunken tugboat, that it would take a miracle for anyone to locate him. So he waded across the cabin, stripped the wall down to its steel body and banged on it with a hammer.

Edited by Tbaby - Dec 05 2013 at 9:53am
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 9:51am

x
patternsandtexture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote patternsandtexture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:02am
I don't see this as proof. Just he was in the right place and the right time. Anyone understanding air bubbles in deep water would know he made the right decision being where he was at the whole time.
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:09am
Dogon.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 10:58am
I expected his skin to be all wrinkled.
melly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote melly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 3:10pm
miracles happen everyday and there are people out there who still don't believe there is a God
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2013 at 3:15pm
LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System