BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Minnesota making history. Hijab wearing cop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Minnesota making history. Hijab wearing cop
    Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:46am
Americas first hijab wearing copper

MUSLIM women during the time of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) were not marginalized or discouraged from active participation and involvement in the development of society.

Women were known to accompany the Muslim army in battles to nurse the wounded, distribute food and water, and to support and raise the morale of fighters; reminding them to fight for the cause of Allah.

Today, we hear stories of great Muslim women from around the globe making their mark in medicine, jurisprudence, hadith, recitation of the Holy Qur’an, education, business, and other areas; serving their families and communities.

In a city in the Northern state of Minnesota in the United States, a Muslim woman made headlines and was the talk of this report on the local CBS Minnesota news channel.

St. Paul Police welcomed the first Somali female officer to the department last Saturday.

Kenyan-born Kadra Mohamed graduated from Central High School in 2010. She will graduate from St. Cloud State University with a criminal justice degree in May, but she was awarded her badge last week and she spoke some words of wisdom to future recruits.

“The reason I’m even here today is because I had an idea firmly set in my head, and I worked really hard to try to get to this dream of mine. I want to tell you guys to continue on doing a good job,” Kadra Mohamed said. No other department in the state of Minnesota has hired a Somali woman to work on their force.

St. Paul is also one of only a few across the nation to now allow the hijab, or headscarf, to be worn on the job.

Police Chief Tom Smith says the department hopes that Kadra Mohamed will be a role model for other Somali women that may want to become police officers. The department’s decision will enable other Muslim women to consider serving their community through a career in law enforcement.

The US Muslim advocacy group, CAIR, expressed appreciation and enthusiasm towards St. Paul police department for passing the new policy which allows Muslim policewomen to wear the headscarf.

First Somali Woman Sworn into the police department.

Praising this move, Lori Saroya, executive director of CAIR, Minnesota, said that Muslim women wear the hijab because it is their religious obligation and asking them to remove it is akin to asking someone else to remove a shirt or other piece of essential clothing.

Regarding her feelings of being the first women of Somali descent in the police force at the tender age of 21, Kadra Mohamed admitted that the pressure was on.

She said, “It’s nerve-wracking in a way. I want to be a good role model for others, especially Somali women,” reported TwinCities.com.
Sponsored Links

Princess_S View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Princess_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:51am
Didnt quite read but good for her!
Merin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Merin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:52am
That is fantastic!!
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:55am
didn't read but that's great.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:55am
That's great.

It doesn't seem odd to me though...cops in cold weather climates wear those thingy's that cover the same amount (head, ears, neck) and no one has an issue with those. I'm surprised it took this long.

One would think that the rest of the police uniform might pose a modesty issue though. But I guess everyone's expression of their belief is different.

Ladycoils View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladycoils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:01pm
Cool.. 
Immie89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Immie89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 2:40pm
That's great,but How is this any different than sikh cops who wear turbans?..
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:56pm
shes cute
SoutherNtellect View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote SoutherNtellect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:01pm
She's still popo
BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:20pm
Thumbs Up
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>