FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMineral oil-helpful/hutful?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
Valynt9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2004 at 3:33pm
Sorry Diva.  I just get testy when I see people make statements liek they should apply to all. 
Sponsored Links

HairDiva View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2004 at 5:27pm
it's all good, I understand.
healthyhair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2004 at 9:24am

This is unfortunately what happens with the "hair ingredients" conversation sometimes people get offended about an ingredient they love or use.  Dont take it personal, it was not meant to offend but to educate.  As with any other advice as they say, "take what you like, and leave the rest."  All I can say is do some research.  I dont suggest either taking anyone's word for it, mineral oil and its effects are well documented all over the place. Its a synthetic ingredient---vegetable oil and olive oil--obvious big difference--one is more expensive but better for you-as with everything you get what you pay for.  Just do your own research, no one suggests to take someone's word for it.  And if you dont want to, that's fine too, the message was just meant to pass along knowledge, you dont have to accept it.

Tracy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2004 at 11:53am
OK with all that said, I haven't heard anybody mention what kind of moisturizer "IS" good for your hair!  I "HAD" been using Pink Oil Moisturizer which does have mineral oil in it.  It is just ok.  My hair starts out great and soft then throughout the day it gets dry again.  So does anybody have any ideas on what I can use instead?
healthyhair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2004 at 12:41pm
Pink oil moisturizer is nothing but mineral oil---and before I did research on it, I used to swear by that pink stuff-then I realized why my hair would be so soft when I first put it on, then very soon, its dry as a bone.....I'm partial to the JCS line because I consult w/ her line, and she has a product called "nourish & shine", made of all natural butters  & oils including shea butter, and it smells great.  It actually melts into the hair, and its great for skin too.  you can see a description of it on janecartersolution.com....   but of course you  can search around and find other products, or even create your own moisturizer w/ oils that work for you. 
brownj366 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2004 at 9:32pm

Mineral oil is as synthetic as the "natural" butters.  Most of the butters are hydrogenated oils.  It is true, as I've written elsewhere, that mineral oil is used as an occlusive agent.  It does coat the skin and does not penetrate.

It is non-comedogenic.  Contrary to popular belief, it does not contribute to pimples and blackheads (comedones) in the majority of the population.

Petrolatum (between 50 and 70% mineral oil) is such a wonderful skin moisturizer because of this occlusive property.  It "seals in" the skins moisture.  Because it does just sit on top of the skin, it increases the barrier property and reduces the water loss - reducing dry skin.  Think Carmex or Lip Stick (both registered trademarks).

Mineral oil costs about $3.50 per gallon in industrial quantities - about 1/2 the cost of most quality oils, but more expensive than low-grade soybean oil.

Many people confuse the effects of the products they use to a single ingredient, i.e. mineral oil.  Not always true.  The emulsifiers and other thickening agents in the formula usually contribute much of the dullness or "dryness" that a product leaves as a residue.

As far as the Natural/Synthetic debate, not too many products that really work and do good things for the hair can be considered to be "natural".  The best conditioners are still synthetic.  The switch from lard to petroleum distillates 40 years ago was a very welcome switch to those who had to use lard.

If anyone is seriously interested in researching these topics, I am always happy to offer my resources.

Valynt9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2004 at 10:24pm

WE acutally have many posts on mositurizers.

I like the Seaplasma spray.

Biosilk has been getting good reports.

And if the pink is working for you....then don't stress on it.

luvlonghair_deleted View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2004 at 8:29am

Hey guys, is Pink really light on hair.  I used to use it about 10 years ago but it always made my hair look nasty and greasy?

I don't know if I was putting to much or what, unless they have perfected their line since then.

Tracy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2004 at 10:41am

Valynt9,

What exactly is Seaplasma spray? Where can it be purchased?  Also which products in the Biosilk line do you recommend?  Where can those be purchased?  My hair is EXTREMELY DRY!  I also wear a weave so I would be using it on that as well as my own hair.   One last question, Can you recommend a shine spray also?

Thanks!

Valynt9 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2004 at 10:54am

Seaplasma is a line by Focus 21.  They come in Teal coloured bottles.

I get them at the local Longs.

I don't use biosilk so I can't recomend anything in their line.

I use pink glosser if I need extra shine (realize that any shine that you lay on top of your hair isn't going to last very long if your hair underneath isn't in great shape).  I like it because it contians natural botanical oils, and is very light (being mixed I have to be careful about how much "oil" I put on my hair)

Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic