Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Millennials Are Flunking Job Interviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CLCNY20 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CLCNY20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:30pm

...a cat?  A cat to an interview?

Lordhavehismercy...
Sponsored Links

stardaqueenb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stardaqueenb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

if you are doing that during your interview. you dont need a job.
you need common sense.

Blac1Chyna View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Blac1Chyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:21am
A lot of people in my generation are just really stupid and dont have good sense. I blame their parents. Parents werent raising them, too busy in the streets. Late 80s thru mid 90s was the drug era and you are now seeing the effects.

I was at a group interview and this nicca really showed up in a tall white T and some baggy ass jeans looking like the lost member of Dem Franchize Boyz. They politely asked him to leave. I know I can have my ratchet moments but I know how and when to turn it off and get my buppie professional on.

Edited by Blac1Chyna - Apr 30 2013 at 12:22am
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 1:43am
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

Speaking of cover letters, I'm applying for a retail job soon and they want a cover letter for my resume, can someone tell me what the purpose of a cover letter is for a resume and what you (for those of you who have reviewed cover letters) look for when hiring?

Please and Thanks Big smile

*Yeah Yeah I could google but I wanna ask here Embarrassed

A cover letter is basically another step to weed out unqualified candidates.

Yes you have all the info in your resume, but HR doesn't always want to weed through the candidate's resume. Basically, things people tease me about being picky on here are things that a cover letter will help HR weed out: spelling/grammar usage; your ability to clearly and concisely express yourself. And, most importantly, how your previous/current experience correlates to the job you want.

Trust me when I say, I read a lot of cover letters during my hiring days at other firms that read like I was on here with you guys. So, often times, people don't know how to jump back and forth between slang and corporate worlds. And a cover letter saves the hiring manager from the trouble of wasting their time interviewing someone who can't communicate properly.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 1:46am
Jobs know you're qualified with you resume and cover letter.
The interview is all abou the "fit" tbh.
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 1:54am
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

Speaking of cover letters, I'm applying for a retail job soon and they want a cover letter for my resume, can someone tell me what the purpose of a cover letter is for a resume and what you (for those of you who have reviewed cover letters) look for when hiring?

Please and Thanks Big smile

*Yeah Yeah I could google but I wanna ask here Embarrassed

A cover letter is basically another step to weed out unqualified candidates.

Yes you have all the info in your resume, but HR doesn't always want to weed through the candidate's resume. Basically, things people tease me about being picky on here are things that a cover letter will help HR weed out: spelling/grammar usage; your ability to clearly and concisely express yourself. And, most importantly, how your previous/current experience correlates to the job you want.

Trust me when I say, I read a lot of cover letters during my hiring days at other firms that read like I was on here with you guys. So, often times, people don't know how to jump back and forth between slang and corporate worlds. And a cover letter saves the hiring manager from the trouble of wasting their time interviewing someone who can't communicate properly.

Thanks! I do find it a tad ridiculous that a rinky dink job in retail requires a cover letter...I'm applying to be a cashier not a damn Supervisor Sleepy
.hott.pink. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .hott.pink. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Harmonii Harmonii wrote:

It's believable though. My fiance just snapped at his little sister earlier this month. She's 16 and has a habit of answering in mono syllables or using as few words as possible and it finally pissed him off. He was trying to explain something to her and she was just mumbling responses. Finally he told her "Why are you talking like an idiot?! People are going to think you're stupid!"Angry

Apparently no one (including their parents) had corrected her on this bad habit.

good for him. That would drive me so crazy

Give an example? 
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by .hott.pink. .hott.pink. wrote:

Originally posted by Harmonii Harmonii wrote:

It's believable though. My fiance just snapped at his little sister earlier this month. She's 16 and has a habit of answering in mono syllables or using as few words as possible and it finally pissed him off. He was trying to explain something to her and she was just mumbling responses. Finally he told her "Why are you talking like an idiot?! People are going to think you're stupid!"Angry

Apparently no one (including their parents) had corrected her on this bad habit.

good for him. That would drive me so crazy

Give an example? 

He's a DJ so he was teaching her how to sync her iTunes to Serato. And when he teaches anyone how to DJ he starts with the basics. So, something along the lines of him asking her "what is iTunes?".

Her response: "music"

His reply: "What does iTunes do?"

Her: "a music store"

His: "No, iTunes is a music aggregator and gives you a music playlist. Ermm What is Serato?"

Her: "DJing"

Him "What does it do?"Sleepy

Her: "Plays music?"

Him: "WHY ARE YOU TALKING LIKE THAT! YOU SOUND STUPID! Use full sentences, you're not four years old!!!"Angry

(Context: Her answers are especially stupid since their father (my FIL) is also a DJ from the beginning of turntablism. Meaning, they've grown up around the industry their whole lives, and there's no excuse for her to NOT have an answer for something DJ related).
CuteNSweet View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CuteNSweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 7:56pm
They are not talking about normal people period....
Omni Harmony View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omni Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by csungrl09 csungrl09 wrote:

Originally posted by Omni Harmony Omni Harmony wrote:

Originally posted by csungrl09 csungrl09 wrote:

this year I was a part of the hiring process in my department. I read cover letters/applications, conducted individual interviews and group ones. BOY OH BOY. some of the things I had to endure. Ouch 
go on........

bhm ate my looooooong post. 

nvm. 

imagine the worst & thats what happens.

*sigh* goes back to LSA*
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair