BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Mid-strand splits on relaxed hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:15am
I was natural with mid strand splits. Too many and I eventually relaxed. I don't think I ever had midstrand splits while relaxed.

I thought it was because of my tangle teaser or maxi glide. I don't know. What do you use to style your hair?

Edited by nitabug - Jan 19 2013 at 5:16am
Sponsored Links

KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 10:12am
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

I was natural with mid strand splits. Too many and I eventually relaxed. I don't think I ever had midstrand splits while relaxed.

I thought it was because of my tangle teaser or maxi glide. I don't know. What do you use to style your hair?

I use a comb on wash days and my fingers on other days. I just realized my comb has seams. Maybe that could be it?

KikiScorpio92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KikiScorpio92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 6:50am
Hey Kunoichi :)

I am natural and had crazy amount of mid strand and split ends.
The thing I feel helped eliminate them first time around ( I'm slowly coming out of another issue with these as I got lazy LOL):
* Coconut Oil helps to penetrate the strand and keep them together and prevents the problem for a good amount of time. I apply it twice a day to the last few inches of hair mostly now.

* Trimming more regularly helped but I felt that applying coconut oil and cutting away at them less trims were needed. Honestly! I was checking my ends a lot and no splits, none!

* Seamless combs now when I first started my journey I didn't know the difference and one day I as reading about combs with seams and decided to buy a wooden one, I noticed a big difference in the amounts of splits I was getting. I also added a lot more finger detangling to my regimen.

* I was wearing twists and braids a lot the first time around so whether that was a factor in the prevention I'm not sure but I got good growth from keeping them up off my shoulders etc.

The only other thing I can say is don't slack off if your serious about keeping your length, be consistent with a practice to see if you can turn the issue around sooner rather than later

Hope i helped a little :) 
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 2:19pm
"Relaxed hair or texlaxed hair is just damaged hair."
"Even if your hair does not respond bad to the chemicals for years, one day it can start, because your hair is old and tired."

sorry Veemack, but that's just untrue. relaxed hair, colored hair, bleached hair, etc, they are damaged hair... after going through the chemical process. they don't stay damaged forever. like you said, you build up the protein, ph, and moisture back by doing the proper treatments. technically all hair is "just damaged", but also, no hair is damaged. hair is dead, you can't really damage it or make it healthy. "damaged" hair really means cosmetically unappealing microscopic hair and "healthy" hair is cosmetically appealing hair. and hair can get "damaged" in the easiest way, by wind, sun, water, even naturals have damaged hair. chemical processes and heat damage the hair on a higher level, but you can make it healthy again. the more damaged the hair, the more you have to take care of it, like you said. but it's not as big a deal as you make it. I see naturals get protein overload, moisture overload, heat damage, mid shaft split ends, detangling problems, dry hair problems, styling problems, etc. pretty much the same amount of problems relaxed heads have, more depending on the person. if our hair was perfect, shampoo, conditioners, oils, any products, they wouldn't have an affect on the hair. it's because our hair is damaged that products can fix our hair. if our hair didn't need any fixing, products wouldn't work. my sources: the science of black hair. 

and I get the unpredictable part, but you apply relaxer to the new growth of your hair. the youngest part. how can the hair start responding badly because it's old and tired? do you mean the ends of your hair? but her hair is currently armpit/ shoulder length? how is it old?? and everyone hair's weakest point is their ends, not just relaxed heads. or do you mean old people's (sorry old people) hair? she's young! no need to worry about that for a while. ^_^'

I'm sorry for the criticism, not trying to sound harsh, but honestly, there's no need to make the relaxed hair is weaker speech every time you talk to someone with relaxed hair. have you ever had relaxed hair? I understand you might be taking it from your personal experience,  but it gets repetitive. when replying to a relaxed head with a problem it always goes "your hair is dry/has splits/is breaking/etc because you have relaxed hair, and the relaxer process..." not every problem is because of having relaxed hair. 

putting that aside, keratin protein is good for split-ends, but be careful! since you just got over protein overload, I don't recommend using it until your hair is at 100% again. I'd slowly introduce protein again by mixing it with moisturizing conditioners. but I'm not sure about the belief that only certain proteins cause protein overload, or that using a different protein won't bring you back to protein overload. that doesn't really make sense to me...   

and yes, a comb with a seam weakens the hair, which can eventually lead to mid-shaft split ends. 
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 1:27am
@Kiki Thanks loads. That's some really useful stuff. I never thought about getting a wooden comb. I always read about bone and horn combs and thought I'd order one online but they're quite expensive. And with shipping? Lol. Didn't feel like it'd be worth it. But the nice thing about living in Africa is I can find someone to craft me a wooden comb right around the corner for peanuts! Lol, well it's peanuts compared to what I'd pay ordering a bone comb online. Now there's a plan.

@yahya I'm not buying what Veemack's saying either. I wonder if she read the part where I said the places where my hair is relaxed fully don't have split ends at all as opposed to the texlaxed parts. I don't know if it's relaxed hair hate but I'm getting tired of it too. If relaxed hair really was just damaged hair then I doubt we'd be seeing people get to waist length and beyond.
KikiScorpio92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KikiScorpio92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 1:55pm
Sounds like an awesome plan and won't cost much. I really hope you get these issues sorted, update us when things turn around for you :)
k.muhammad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.muhammad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 1:41am
I now have mid shaft splits. I've read all articles having to do with them and the only question I have is....do I have to cut the rest of my hair to match the length of where my hair is split? That's what my stylist says but it makes no sense to me. My hair for the most part is healthy. I oil my scalp 3x a week and every 2 weeks I get my hair washed and straightened. My hair is relaxed but I haven't gotten my hair relaxed in 2 months (almost 3). I never use heat on my hair except every 2 weeks when I go to the stylist. Could it be the heat I use every 2 weeks is too much? Im also about to buy a bone comb and get rid of the brushes and combs that I have. I'm trying to reach waist length but my hair is taking forever.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic