Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

micro link extensions on natural hair HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
neverjaded View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverjaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: micro link extensions on natural hair HELP!
    Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 6:23pm
i just got my hair done in micro hair link extensions and it didnt come out how i expected it toConfused 
the hair is nice but it just doesnt blend well with my thick coarse kinky hair. Has any had micro link extensions and what products and methods did you use to blend the hair? Thank you Smile

Sponsored Links

beebeexx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beebeexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 7:38pm
what kind if hair are your extensions?
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:06pm
I used to do microlinks. Before I went natural, I used to go in for a keratin treatment and then use indian straight i-tips. The big problem with having naturally kinky hair is that you'd continually have to beat it within an inch of it's life before it would blend. I was even told by my stylist that I wasn't allowed to use products on my natural hair because it would cause the microlinks to slip. Eventually, I stopped using them because they pretty much destroyed my hair (pretty fragile fine hair here).

This was before I came onto BHM and one of the first things I learned was that if you're gonna wear extensions, get the texture that's closest to your own. Since you said you had coarse thick kinky hair, I would suggest the next time you go in for microlinks, try getting something like coarse yaki or maybe italian yaki i-tips if your hair has a lot of body.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverjaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 12:30pm
oh i forgot to show you guys the hair, i got my hair done by my aunt and her attempt was to make my hair look natural, i dont remember the hair but heres some pics... as you can see my hair is basically sitting at the top of my hair  Cry

CrownRhoyale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote CrownRhoyale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:15pm
You could try a twist out on your natural hair to blend. Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie or ecostyler gel would provide a some definition to ur twist out to better blend in ur hair.

If that doesn't work, IMHO i think you should take out the extensions. Not only does it look pretty bad, but micro link extensions are really damaging to natural hair--especially since the hair is processed and ur hair is kinky. 
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:33pm
Did you get a consultation before you got your hair done and if so, did you show the installer the hair you would be using or did you not see the hair until after it was installed?

I wore invisible braids for years and I had fusion done once. Same concept as microlinks , a strand by strand technique.

As mentioned before, when doing a strand by strand technique, all your real hair is out so you have to be pretty spot on with the extension hair matching your own.

I would just spray my head w/ Infusium 23 mixed w/ water, slick my edges down and go. I avoided getting any product on the part the extension hair was attached.

Have you tried wearing a head band/scarf? I think that would look cute.
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:35pm
I would do a twist out or braid out and see what happens, that would allow your hair to have a similar pattern as the extension hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverjaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

Did you get a consultation before you got your hair done and if so, did you show the installer the hair you would be using or did you not see the hair until after it was installed?

I wore invisible braids for years and I had fusion done once. Same concept as microlinks , a strand by strand technique.

As mentioned before, when doing a strand by strand technique, all your real hair is out so you have to be pretty spot on with the extension hair matching your own.

I would just spray my head w/ Infusium 23 mixed w/ water, slick my edges down and go. I avoided getting any product on the part the extension hair was attached.

Have you tried wearing a head band/scarf? I think that would look cute.

Unfortunately since it was my aunt it wasn't professional, nor did i see the hair before hand. I never heard of infusium before, is it a spray moisturizer and where can i buy it?

and i probably should style it with a scarf, thanks for the tips

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neverjaded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 5:08am
Originally posted by CrownRhoyale CrownRhoyale wrote:

You could try a twist out on your natural hair to blend. Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie or ecostyler gel would provide a some definition to ur twist out to better blend in ur hair.

If that doesn't work, IMHO i think you should take out the extensions. Not only does it look pretty bad, but micro link extensions are really damaging to natural hair--especially since the hair is processed and ur hair is kinky. 

yea it was done poorly, theres tracks sticking out of the links that are attached to my hair and theyre also slipping which i know will cause damage...im going to take them out Confused thanks for the advice
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2012 at 12:37am
Awww, sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic