Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
deane81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: micro braids for natural short hair
    Posted: Jan 29 2009 at 3:12pm
Crymy hair is about 2in long i got micros the other day  it seem like after they braided my hair it was alot of my natural hair sticking out i asked the lady what do they do with the hair sticking out they said they cut it is this normal and does your hair end up being short and choppy when i take the braids out im scared this is my first few months being natural ive worked   hard for my 2inches please i need answers i need yalls help

Edited by deane81 - Jan 30 2009 at 3:13pm
Sponsored Links

Nigerian queen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2009 at 3:51pm
they normally do, to give it a sleek finish. if you don't want to, then don't. its not by force. i'm thinking they used too little extension per braid, so there is a noticeable *this is where your hair ends and the rest is extension* line (i hope i'm making sense lol). then again it might have been the hair you used prob to silky to use for your lenght and size of micros.....but without pics i can only assume the worst by how big and bold the font in you post is. lol 
Nigerian queen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2009 at 3:59pm
  glitch in the matrix! lol

Edited by Nigerian queen - Jan 29 2009 at 4:00pm
DivaMelody View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2009 at 8:44pm
Umm. Well first of all , I have extremely thick and poofy hair( not sure texture ) I can guess is a soft 4A.  But they key is for the braider to make sure ALL of your natural hair is included in the braid.  I braid my own and prior to going natural myself, I found that braiding women who had natural hair was more tedious because it takes a little effort to make sure that the hair istn sticking out of the extension hair.  The only way the hair woudl be left sticking out is if the braider was going extremely fast. It is also a NO NO for them to cut your hait like that.  They didnt do it right in the first place , by cutting the left out ends, you coauld have a mess on takedown.  Even after braiding correctly, I spray a light coat of spritz and wrap with a scarf to seal my hair down  after every wash.   That way I dont have the fuzz.  Dont stress it just know next time to pay attention and make sure the person understands that you dont want your hair cut and they need to make sure ALL of your hair is braided.  Those shops specialize int he finished product and getting your hair done as fast as possible.  That is not the way to do hair.  Because while it may look good after, tight braids, glue and all the other tricks they employ can cause damage long and short term.  Try to find a place that specializes in natural hair care and isnt all about the finished product.  Also , read the board and try to advance up to doing your own hair so you wont have to deal with this in the future.  I went to shops for years and for all the money I paid, I got pain, pulled out edges, cut hair and once a style i didt ask for !!!   I taught myself to braid after the worst of the worst and I havent looked back since. 
BNAT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2009 at 6:36pm
Deane that is such b*ll sh*t someone took advantage of you. It sound like a " I don't give a dam about your hair b/cos I'm in a rush" hair job. I've never ever heard of cutting any excess hair after micros unless it is the hair being added NOT YOURS! who in the hell would do that? Most black beauticians or braiders know how hard it is for us to maintain our growth without someone cutting it so their jacked up work look better. Like Diva, I learned how to braid my own hair 10+ years ago b/cos I had become to broke to pay someone and I'm glad for it. But the reason I read the post was b/cos I just braided my hair last week, it's 1-2 inches long, about 1/2" in the back and it's natural. I braided with silky straight hair and there is not a strand out of place. It was'nt as time consuming b/cos it is so short and it braided better than when I had a perm. I only hope you spoke up and told her not to cut it. Hair exposed out the braid will break. Maybe you can buy some hair and ask someone to micro braid the exposed hair. You can cut your losses and take it down. if it were me, the braider would braid it right or not get paid, but that's me. If it's been cut, it will grow back. It won't be even but after you get more length and if it's really noticable you can even it out at that point but pleassse don't go back to that person.LOL
GoingNatural86 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2009 at 2:26am
What ever you do... DONT CUT IT... I agree with DivaMelody's method of braiding. I do the same with my 21/2 inches of natural hair. It takes longer but it also lasts longer as well... (This is why I do my own hair, I just dont trust anyone with my hair)
 One thing tho... If you are going to use spritz I suggest moisturizing before the spritz as they can dry your hair out because they contain alcohol.  Use a water n glycerin mix or you can just purchase a braid spray of your choice .

Good Luck

HeavenlyHoney24 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2009 at 11:18am
Hi Ladies!!!!
   I'm new to this site and I'm just learning the in's and out's of taking care of my natural hair. ANyway I got box braids this past weekend and they are so small they look like micro braids. What type of braid spray should I use to keep my hair moisturized?? I notice most people use "Africa's Best" but doesn't that contain alcohol? Any help would be appreciated!!
MsMiamiLady View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2009 at 8:37am
Originally posted by HeavenlyHoney24 HeavenlyHoney24 wrote:

Hi Ladies!!!!
   I'm new to this site and I'm just learning the in's and out's of taking care of my natural hair. ANyway I got box braids this past weekend and they are so small they look like micro braids. What type of braid spray should I use to keep my hair moisturized?? I notice most people use "Africa's Best" but doesn't that contain alcohol? Any help would be appreciated!!

african royale braid spray is a good one
lovelynatural81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2009 at 2:12am
Im just gonna say that I never let them cut my hair...for the sake of neatness of braids. My hair looks nice when I am done braiding it and if you condish you will be fine
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic