VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michelle Obama and Whiteygate
    Posted: Jun 16 2008 at 10:04am
Originally posted by www.theroot.com www.theroot.com wrote:

Whiteygate
What black people call white people…and it ain't 'whitey.'
TheRoot.com
Updated: 1:18 PM ET Jun 13, 2008

June 16, 2008--And so continues the conundrum of being a post-racial black candidate in a still-very-racial world. To speak the truth about anything involving race is to be accused instantly of dragging out that famous racial deck we've all been dealt that stands us in such good stead in America.

The campaign of Barack Obama has had to rebut, not once but several times, the wild rumors that his wife Michelle used an insulting term for white people while railing from the pulpit of Trinity United Church in Chicago. His campaign has had to set up a website to refute the charge, and Obama himself has had to chastise mainstream reporters for spreading the lie.

What he hasn't done—because he cannot if he wants to win the presidency—is roll out the clearest and most obvious knockdown of Whiteygate. Namely this: "When the hell was the last time you heard a black person call somebody 'whitey?'"

I mean, come on. White man, please.

Speaking as a person who has been black all of my 40-plus years on the planet, I can say with some authority that no self-respecting black, African-American, Negro, colored or even "there's only one race: the human race" person I know would use the word.

Not unless they were quoting Rush Limbaugh. Or maybe George Jefferson.

The accusation is insulting not only because it so clearly reveals the desperation of right-wing zealots terrified of losing their stranglehold on a gasping America by playing to baseline anxieties and sad, unfortunate fears of those hard-working white Americans we've heard so much about; but because, frankly, it's so ham-fisted in its mendacity.

I mean, 'Whitey?'

The woman has a law degree from Harvard, for crying out loud. If, for some reason, she was trying to rile up a congregation she could do much, much better than that. I have spent the afternoon trying—with all the honesty and courage and humble introspection that is called for in this historic moment, with America poised to finally cast off its original sin and move into the full realization of those ringing words in the Declaration of Independence—to think about the terms black folks use when talking among themselves about white people.

I could barely move my pencil tip. Probably because black folks spend a lot less time talking or even thinking about white people than most white, right-wing reactionaries and their black counterparts dream in their hot little dreams. I had trouble, and, after hours and hours, the best I could come up with was this:

White folks. Whites. White people. They.

Or, in the case of Limbaugh in particular: Hophead. Pill-popper. Junkie nincompoop.

But really, that was pretty much it. When I was growing up in Memphis in the groovy '70s, some people tried to get the word "ofay" going, but, in my circles at least, it never really took. My mother's generation used Mr. Charlie, my older sister's cool boyfriend use to say The Man. There was redneck, of course, but growing up in Memphis, the only people I ever heard use that word were white people.

There was cracker, but usually that referred to a certain, specific kind of hog-jowled, Southern racist, as in "That cracker had the nerve to make me wash his sheets—and I don't mean the ones he use on his bed!"

I know a genteel older black woman who, out of delicacy or discomfort, will never use the words white or black when referring to people associated with those hues. Instead she says "wonderful people" and "beautiful people," which I think is kinda sweet.

But whitey? Uh uh! I'm sorry. No.

Still, if Limbaugh and his acolytes are so worried about being called out of their name, I suggest they take the hip-hop route of reclaiming and reframing a powerfully-painful word that has been used for centuries to denigrate and dominate, to persuade a people of their inferiority and the rightness of their oppression. Which, you know, "Whitey" did do.

Limbaugh should replace the final consonant with an "a" and turn the resulting word into a term of affection and brotherhood. Write a song, get a DJ and a mic, lay down some tracks.

Then, make sure to get it all on videotape.

Also on The Root:

Kim McLarin claims Obama's real prize, Melissa Harris-Lacewell and Marc Lamont Hill get mad over the malice directed at Michelle, and Paul Devlin sends her a letter.

Return to The Root Homepage

< = =text/>
URL: http://www.theroot.com/id/46867

Sponsored Links

Haitienne Pearl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2008 at 10:18am
I really love your posts JulieGianniSmile and I am not there to hijack this one but I have one question (maybe I should create a new post - if you prefer so just tell me no problem Smile)?

BHM members: I am not being suggestive or anything Iam just seriously wondering.

Michelle Obama seems not to be liked a lot by the medias.

Besides the fact that she is Black (which is a valuable reason for themDead) and a potential First Lady, can it be that she is not really open towards all racial groups of Americans, which is causing them to pick on her that much? Can she be a threat for her husband? Or are they really trying to portray her as much as possible as an angry Black woman. They can't find anything bad to say about Barack Obama so they are discrediting all his entourage....

It seems like I always hear something bad she supposely said or did concerning other racial groups (mainly Whites).

Please inform me, because really I don't know and I would like to know your views on thisQuestion

Edited by Haitienne Pearl - Jun 16 2008 at 10:27am
Tajbia View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2008 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Haitienne Pearl Haitienne Pearl wrote:

I really love your posts JulieGianniSmile and I am not there to hijack this one but I have one question (maybe I should create a new post - if you prefer so just tell me no problem Smile)?

BHM members: I am not being suggestive or anything Iam just seriously wondering.

Besides the fact that she is Black (which is a valuable reason for themDead) and a potential First Lady, can it be that she is not really open towards all racial groups of Americans, whcih is causing them to pick on her that much? Can she be a threat for her husband? or they are really trying to portray her as much as possible as an angry Black woman

It seems like I always hear something bad she supposely said or did concerning other racial groups (mainly Whites).

Please inform me, because really I don't know and I would like to know your views on thisQuestion

Because throughout the annals of time-- Strong, opinionated black women have always been viewed as a threat by some.  Why, because this innate strength comes from eons of nobility--of being matriarchs that have successfully ruled kingdoms.
 Even in todays society, laws; the sociological folkways and mores that try to emasculate  black men--that promote attitudes that attempt to break up the black family--set lower educational standards, along with making it difficult for single and two parent families to provide opportunities for higher education for their children...and a long list of others.

Despite the suffering and abuse of slavery, apartheid, Jim Crow laws--black women have emerged strong and unbending. Now here you have a Black family AND the woman in that family, who has slapped in the face all of those who have tried to put the perpetuate those ideologies that "society" holds so dear-- That's frightening for those who have views that blacks are substandard individuals.

When you look at her and Cindy, you know Michelle could take her on.  Not just physically but mentally. So those that hate her are scared.
If one family gets out (meaning Baracks') it shatters the illusion those in power have been perpetuating all these years.  Then the snowball effect takes place and change becomes unstoppable!--Those in power lose the upper hand and are probably scared that the same atrocities they committed against the black man, will be done to them.

Just my two cents.

Haitienne Pearl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2008 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Tajbia Tajbia wrote:

Originally posted by Haitienne Pearl Haitienne Pearl wrote:

Besides the fact that she is Black (which is a valuable reason for themDead) and a potential First Lady, can it be that she is not really open towards all racial groups of Americans, whcih is causing them to pick on her that much? Can she be a threat for her husband? or they are really trying to portray her as much as possible as an angry Black woman

Because throughout the annals of time-- Strong, opinionated black women have always been viewed as a threat by some.  Why, because this innate strength comes from eons of nobility--of being matriarchs that have successfully ruled kingdoms.
 Even in todays society, laws; the sociological folkways and mores that try to emasculate  black men--that promote attitudes that attempt to break up the black family--set lower educational standards, along with making it difficult for single and two parent families to provide opportunities for higher education for their children...and a long list of others.

Despite the suffering and abuse of slavery, apartheid, Jim Crow laws--black women have emerged strong and unbending. Now here you have a Black family AND the woman in that family, who has slapped in the face all of those who have tried to put the perpetuate those ideologies that "society" holds so dear-- That's frightening for those who have views that blacks are substandard individuals.

When you look at her and Cindy, you know Michelle could take her on.  Not just physically but mentally. So those that hate her are scared.
If one family gets out (meaning Baracks') it shatters the illusion those in power have been perpetuating all these years.  Then the snowball effect takes place and change becomes unstoppable!--Those in power lose the upper hand and are probably scared that the same atrocities they committed against the black man, will be done to them.

Just my two cents.

Thanks Tajbia I loved and truly understood your answer. I'll read it again, thanksBig%20smileEmbarrassed 
yourleoqueen View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2008 at 3:13pm
I say whitey all the time.
sexibeach View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2008 at 4:15pm
Actually the article isn't exactly where they say this lie came from. It was from a thesis that Michelle did at Princeton. They claim b/c the topic of her thesis was based on African American studies, which the college has sealed her thesis until after the election, they assume its something racist in there, here's some of the lie that came from a paper these idiots never even read! Check out this website that snopes the lies that have been told and let's you know what's the truth and what's not.

atlchica View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2008 at 9:44am
http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2008/6/1/235757/2325

This story came out awhile back, but it sheds some light on that rumored whitey tape.  An excerpt of the article:

From what I understand, it is a tape of Michelle Obama criticizing the Bush administration.

How you'd write it:

Why did Bush cut folks off medicaid?
Why did Bush let New Orleans drown?
Why did Bush do nothing about Jena?
Why did Bush put us in Iraq for no reason?

How you'd say it:

Why'd he cut folks off medicaid?
Why'd he let New Orleans drown?
Why'd he do nothing about Jena?
Why'd he put us in Iraq for no reason?

How Larry Johnson wants you to hear it:

Whitie cut folks off medicaid?
Whitie let New Orleans drown?
Whitie do nothing about Jena?
Whitie put us in Iraq for no reason?

JulieGianni View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2008 at 10:07am
Originally posted by atlchica atlchica wrote:

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2008/6/1/235757/2325

This story came out awhile back, but it sheds some light on that rumored whitey tape.  An excerpt of the article:

From what I understand, it is a tape of Michelle Obama criticizing the Bush administration.

How you'd write it:

Why did Bush cut folks off medicaid?
Why did Bush let New Orleans drown?
Why did Bush do nothing about Jena?
Why did Bush put us in Iraq for no reason?

How you'd say it:

Why'd he cut folks off medicaid?
Why'd he let New Orleans drown?
Why'd he do nothing about Jena?
Why'd he put us in Iraq for no reason?

How Larry Johnson wants you to hear it:

Whitie cut folks off medicaid?
Whitie let New Orleans drown?
Whitie do nothing about Jena?
Whitie put us in Iraq for no reason?

Yet no one has been able to produce this alleged tape for all to hear.

Just another example of political rumormongering.
Mayda View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2008 at 10:49am
There is no tape...if there was, they would have showed it and would air it every hour of the day.
Those bigot, racist bastards need to show the tape or simply STFU.
atlchica View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2008 at 11:32am
Yup.  At that time it was a ploy to keep superdelegates from endorsing Obama.  I've really been disgusted by certain people in this election cycle.  From the taking things out of context to insinuating that Barack Obama is somehow a radical Muslim black nationalist to the subliminal racism.  I wish I could join Michelle Obama's sentiment when she said that this is the first time she's REALLY proud of this country.  I have yet to experience this feeling.  Disapprove
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic