Perfect Hair Collection

Michael Ward, 'Birdie Africa,' dies

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michael Ward, 'Birdie Africa,' dies
    Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:24pm
Michael Moses Ward, 41, formerly known as Birdie Africa, one of the two survivors of the 1985 MOVE bombing, died Friday aboard a cruise ship in the Caribbean, officials said.

Ward was found unconscious in a hot tub Friday morning aboard the Carnival Dream, said Craig Engelson, an investigator for the Brevard County Medical Examiner's Office. Ward's body was taken from the ship to Port Canaveral, Fla.

The medical examiner's office said the death appeared to be an accidental drowning. Toxicology results are expected in about six weeks, the office said.

Ward's father, Andino Ward, said Wednesday that he and Ward were vacationing with relatives on an anniversary cruise.
More coverage
From the archives: The miracle of Birdie Africa
Special section: 25th anniversary of MOVE bombing

"It was a family cruise," Andino Ward said in a telephone interview. "It was my 30th wedding anniversary and his sister's 10th anniversary, and her in-laws' 50th anniversary. So all of the kids treated us to an anniversary cruise."

He said the ship had made stops in Cozumel, Mexico; Belize, and the Dominican Republic.

Andino Ward said his son, who became an iconic figure in the MOVE disaster, had been living in the Philadelphia suburbs. He declined to name the town or to describe Ward's most recent occupation.

He said private funeral arrangments have been made.

On the evening of May 13, 1985, after a daylong armed confrontation with MOVE members, police dropped a satchel of explosives onto the radical group's fortified rowhouse of the radical group at 6221 Osage Ave. in West Philadelphia.

The explosion sparked a blaze that city officials allowed to burn.

When the fire was out, 61 homes were destroyed and 11 people, including five children were dead.

Ward, who ran naked from the burning MOVE compound, was the only child to survive the bombing, and Ramona Africa, the only adult. His mother, Rhonda Africa, was among those killed in the siege.

The image of Birdie Africa, age 13, who was hauled to safety by two police officers, remains iconic after nearly 30 years.

The incident left Ward with lifelong burn scars on his abdomen, arms and face, and Philadelphia with a global reputation as the city that bombed its own people.

He had no contact with MOVE from then on.

Michael Ward was born on Dec. 19, 1971. His original name was Olewolffe (Arabic for Prince) Ward, he said. He became Birdie Africa after his parents split up and his mother joined MOVE. It was only after the disaster, when he went to live with his father, that be became Michael Moses Ward.

In a 1995 interview with The Inquirer, Ward spoke of his life with MOVE, of being forced to live on a diet of raw vegetables and fruit while the adults ate hearty cooked meals, of being denied schooling and neighborhood playmates, of stealing toys and burying them in the MOVE compound.

"I'm still afraid of them, of MOVE," he said in 1995. "Some of the things that went on there I can't get out of my head, bad things, things I haven't told anybody except my father.

"But I'll tell you this: I didn't like being there. They said it was a family, but a family isn't something where you are forced to stay when you don't want to. And none of us wanted to stay, none of the kids. We were always planning ways to run away, but we were too little. We didn't know how to get away. And we were scared."

But that was the life he had always known. His earliest memories, he said, were of growing up at a MOVE commune in Virginia.

He said his mother tried to leave MOVE, but threats to her and him made that impossible. Instead, they lived in fear of everything: police, the neighborhood, MOVE founder John Africa, and anything else that came their way.

"The only regret I have is about me being hurt and my mom dying and the other kids," he said. "I feel bad for the people who died, but I don't have any anger toward anybody. See, I got out."

In a 2005 interview with the Inquirer, Ward reflected on the MOVE disaster.

"I think about it from time to time, but I don't dwell on it," Ward said.

His father, Andino Ward, changed the boy's name to Michael Moses Ward in 1986.

Ward lived with his father in Lansdale from 1986 to 1992. He played fullback and cornerback for the North Penn High School football team.

He came a long way, considering that it took years of rehabilitation to patch up the second- and third-degree burns that covered 20 percent of his body. It took longer to reintegrate him into normal society. He had never spent a day in school when his father registered him for special-education classes.

After graduating from North Penn, he married and had a daughter and a son. Ward divorced in 2005. He lived in Newark, Del., for many years.

In 1991, Ward and his father reached a settlement with the administration of then Mayor W. Wilson Goode Sr., which paid them $840,000 up front, with each receiving $1,000 per month for life.

Ward served in the Army from 1997 to 2001. He was stationed in Florida, North Carolina and Germany, earning the rank of sergeant. Ward said he served as an Army cameraman and videographer, making military training videos.

He later became a long-distance trucker, driving an 18-wheeler along the Northeast corridor from Maine to Virginia. He also worked as a barber in his spare time, cutting friends' hair. He said he earned his barber's license after high school.

Ward, who described himself as a Christian who eschewed organized religion, said that, despite his successes, his life had been difficult.

"The thing that helps me is I have a drive to better myself," he said.

When asked in 2005 what he saw himself doing in 10 years, he saw better times.

"Hopefully, I will be retired. I want to own my own business and watch my kids grow up. I want to retire when I'm 45," he said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20130926_Michael_Ward___Birdie_Africa___dies_in_hot_tub_on_cruise_ship_at_age_41.html#lSybOVczIRb71WZY.99
Sponsored Links

OrriannaRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrriannaRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2013 at 12:10am
His sister is a celeb makeup artist/youtuber. 

beatfacehoney: The past 24 hours of my life have been the most difficult of my life. I can not begin to tell you how mind blowing and gut wrenching... This photo is one of the last photos that I have with my beautiful big brother Michael. They say Gods timing is perfect. I believe this to be true. It pains me to tell you that on the last day of our family vacation, God saw fit to take my brothers life. Without going into detail, I will tell you that I was present as was my sister, mother, father, boyfriend, brother-in-law and extended family. As the paramedics tried to save his life, God had other plans. I'm sure Michael heard our prayers as Christ carried him home. I'm blessed to say that I sat down and broke bread with him 6 nights in a row before loosing him. We swam with dauphins, went deep sea diving and had conversations about love, God and future plans. We laughed so hard and smiled so much. He told me he was so proud of me and bragged to other passengers on the boat about what his baby sister had accomplished. When they allowed us to view his body, I kissed his forehead and cheek and whispered to him that I'd continue to make him proud and I most certainly will... For many of my friends, this is your first time hearing this news. I ask that you allow me space and time. I love you all deeply and thank you in advance for your swarms of prayer. My faith is strong and so is my will. Peace and understanding are on the way. 

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2013 at 12:12am
What a handsome male. May he rest in peace..
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2013 at 12:15am
Never heard of Birdie Africa...RIP Mr. Ward.  Sad at a time of many celebrations (anniversaries) they experienced a death.  At least he was able to spend his last days with loved ones.

Edited by QueenBee - Sep 26 2013 at 12:17am
Qualified View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Qualified Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2013 at 3:09am
Dont know who he is, but I am subscribed to BFH, and she seems she has such an awesome spirit. He was nice looking.... So sad! May be rest in peace.
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2013 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Qualified Qualified wrote:

Dont know who he is, but I am subscribed to BFH, and she seems she has such an awesome spirit. He was nice looking.... So sad! May be rest in peace.
This
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2013 at 1:48pm
I never heard of him either before this article of his untimely end but what I learned about him was interesting.  He is one of the two survivors of the bombing that the city of Philly dropped on the house of members of the MOVE.  And that is another story in itself.  He overcame a lot and made something of himself.
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2013 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

I never heard of him either before this article of his untimely end but what I learned about him was interesting.  He is one of the two survivors of the bombing that the city of Philly dropped on the house of members of the MOVE.  And that is another story in itself.  He overcame a lot and made something of himself.
Yup I remember that.  The neighbors were trying to get the MOVE group evicted claiming that they were noisy.  The house was bombed because authorities were trying to evict the MOVE members and they killed everyone in the house except Birdie and his mom.  After the bomb was dropped, firefighters waited like an hour before they put the fire out.  50 or 60 other houses were destroyed.
Fraiche2Death View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fraiche2Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2013 at 8:13pm
Man woooow. Us over 30 Philly kids know all about this. (them) Rest in peace dude.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply