Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Michael B. Jordan Discussed Racism, Being a Black
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Michael B. Jordan Discussed Racism, Being a Black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michael B. Jordan Discussed Racism, Being a Black
    Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 10:00am
http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/06/13/fruitvale-stationss-michael-b-jordan-makes-powerful-statement-racism/

Actor Michael B. Jordan of ‘Fruitvale Station’ Discusses Racism, Being a Black Man in World Today

Michael B Jordan opens up about racism Playing the role of an African-American young man from the inner city, slain in cold blood due to racism, was a role that hit extremely close to home for Hollywood newcomer Michael B. Jordan.

Jordan has recently starred in the romantic comedy “That Awkward Moment” and is set to star in the upcoming “Fantastic Four” film, but it’s his first lead role on the big screen that has stuck with him the most.

In “Fruitvale Station,” Jordan took on the real-life role of Oscar Grant, a 22-year-old Black man from the San Francisco Bay area who was fatally shot by a Bay Area Rapid Transit officer responding to reports of a fight on a packed train on New Year’s Day 2009.

“I was living in L.A., broke as hell and getting ready to go back home to New Jersey when I saw Oscar Grant’s murder on Facebook,” Jordan told The Guardian. “I remember watching it again and again, feeling more and more angry. Oscar Grant is two weeks older than me. We both grew up in inner cities, in similar situations. Watching that footage, you think, ‘That could have been me.’”

He also opened up about what it is like to be a Black man in a world that tends to be much more racist than it would ever claim to be.

“If I wasn’t Black, that wouldn’t have happened to me; I’ve thought that so many times I’ve lost count,” Jordan said. “A woman holds on to her purse as she walks by, or people cross the street when they see me, to being pulled over by the cops for no reason. I’ve been illegally searched. I’ve been harassed. Have I been in situations where people who don’t know me have treated me like less than a person? Yes, I have.”

Michael B. Jordan talks racism in American Jordan added that those types of situations are just a part of “being Black” today.

When “Fruitvale Station” was released, America was also in the midst of the George Zimmerman acquittal. In 2012, Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch coordinator, fatally shot 17-year-old Black high school student Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla.

For Jordan, it just served as yet another example of young Black men being slain by the people who are supposed to protect the community.

“It seems to be happening again and again; young men from minorities slain by authorities that are supposed to serve and protect,” he said. “That is a fact. You do the math. All I want to know is why.”

Toward the end of the interview, Jordan was asked about the comments by Variety that slammed the film as providing a “relentlessly positive portrayal of its subject.”

The interviewer noted that this was the first time in the interview that Jordan’s voice was raised and he let go of his cool, collected tone.

“What’s so unrealistic and manipulative about a Black man loving his daughter and having real, emotional moments with his family?” he asked. “Why do people make these accusations? Is it because African-Americans aren’t allowed to be real people? Is it because we’re not allowed to be human and have human interactions with our family? Is that not allowed?”

Jordan has continued to deal with racism with his role as Johnny Storm in “Fantastic Four.”

Johnny Storm in the original comic books is a white male, but Jordan is ready to take on the role regardless of some public backlash.

Sponsored Links

iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 10:30am
Quit crying negro
f8dagrate View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote f8dagrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 10:31am
Isn't he fugging a Qwhite woman?

Any who IA
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Quit crying negro
of course you'd make a comment like this

femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 10:57am
I'm so bad. Automatically discredited what he said because...

Stern Smile

But there is truth to what he's saying. Just wondering if he's a champion for the entire black race, or only when it's convenient when he's chasing Beckies.
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 11:01am
He is my former student so he can do no wrong in my eyes. I know where he came from and the struggle that he had to fight to get where he is as a young black man and it is a struggle that never ends.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 11:05am
I hate BHM.LOL
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 11:09am
those risky bizness shades tho...
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 11:09am
u gotta give him a pass, that chick is bad
fckwitmeuknoigotit View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fckwitmeuknoigotit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 11:12am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

I'm so bad. Automatically discredited what he said because...

Stern Smile

But there is truth to what he's saying. Just wondering if he's a champion for the entire black race, or only when it's convenient when he's chasing Beckies.
Confused he's just standing next to a becky with his hands in his pocket? is this his girlfriend?

Edited by fckwitmeuknoigotit - Jun 17 2014 at 11:13am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style