Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mens’ Odor Stresses Lab Mice, Could Skew Results
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Mens’ Odor Stresses Lab Mice, Could Skew Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mens’ Odor Stresses Lab Mice, Could Skew Results
    Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 2:55pm
Mens’ Odor Stresses Lab Mice, Which Could Skew Results

By Carl Engelking | April 29, 2014 1:23 pm

A new study is wafting an odor of uncertainty over the results of prior experiments using lab rats and mice. Researchers have discovered that the scent of a human male significantly stresses the critters, an effect not seen in response to females.

Researchers from McGill University in Montreal discovered that, in the presence of men, mice display a stress response equivalent to being placed in a confined space, such as a tube, for 15 minutes. The study is the first to systematically test this aspect of rodents’ response to their handlers.

“Scientists whisper to each other at conferences that their rodent research subjects appear to be aware of their presence, and that this might affect the results of experiments, but this has never been directly demonstrated until now,” Jeffrey Mogil, a psychology professor at McGill who led the study, said in a statement.

A Frightening Odor

The research team administered pain-inducing injections to mice and rats and monitored their facial grimaces, which is a measure of pain. When rodents are stressed, they grimace less, because their fight-or-flight response kicks in and mitigates discomfort. When a man was in the room, the rodents grimaced 35 percent less than when no one was in the room. However, there was no significant difference if a female was sitting in the room.

To determine if rodents were reacting to scent and not something else, researchers placed T-shirts worn by either men and women in the cage with them. The critters showed the same gender-specific response. Further, they showed the same response when exposed to bedding used by male cats and dogs, as well as to synthetic versions of chemicals secreted from mens’ armpits.

“Our data suggest instead that an odor evoked by a cocktail of chemicals within the body secretions of isolated males (except cage mates) produce stress in rodents,” researchers wrote in their report, published Monday in the journal Nature Methods.

Better Experiments

Producing replicable results is the standard that scientists strive for in their published studies. However the new study indicates that lab animals’ biology and behavior might be affected not just by the experimental treatment but by the experimenters themselves.

How the discovery is translated into better experimental methods is far from clear at this point. Still, Mogil told TheStar.com, “This is a finding that’s going to make scientific research better, more reliable than it’s been before.”

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2014/04/29/mens-odor-stresses-lab-mice-which-could-skew-results/#.U2FTP1eebAB

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/04/29/308107307/lab-rats-may-be-stressed-by-men-which-may-skew-experiments

Sponsored Links

Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:01pm
The scent of human males often stresses me out too!
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:05pm

LOLwth is this?
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

LOLwth is this?

you cant see why this would be important
Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:15pm
Lab mice get shotup with ebola and they can't handle a lil body odor
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:17pm
LOL

Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

The scent of human males often stresses me out too!
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:17pm
i just kinda skimmed...
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:46pm
and they put a black male scientist in the pic

i see what they are doing
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:54pm

thought this was gonna be about an indian man.........
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

and they put a black male scientist in the pic

i see what they are doing

i wanna strangle you for that bruh.  i often times change the pics in the articles i post just because the is  a black site and i like to limit the number of white faces i see on it.  do you feel pressure around your neck? 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic