Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Melty Tape?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Melty Tape?
    Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 5:52am
Ok, so I applied my wig last night and I was thinking that it held good. I did what was shown in the YT tuts - apply tape on scalp; ahead of my natural hairline and then press wig into the tape. Sounded easy enough, even though I had a little trouble in the back. I tied the edges down tightly with my silk head tie and went to sleep on my satin pillow like normal. Everything seemed great this morning until I went out; to my horror, I realized that my wig was starting to slide back while I was out on a nature walk. I do admit it was quite warm still even though it's autumn and I may have perspired a bit, not heavily at all (or at least, not heavily to my standards). I managed to quickly readjust it back down onto my forehead while no one was looking. I was lucky to have worn one of my elastic headbands, so that managed to keep the wig in place for the rest of the afternoon. The tape I had that was dead center had completely lifted while the others along my hairline slid right back into my hair so I ended up taking the wig off as soon as I got back in my house.

Has anyone else had this problem with lace front support tape before? I read that Super Tape has a tendency to be all melty when it breaks down but totally didn't expect this on day 1 with a blue liner tape. One of the reasons why I bought this in the first place was that it was advertised as being waterproof.
Sponsored Links

LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 7:01am
Are you in the Southern Hemisphere? Where is it Autumn now?
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 8:18am
Yep, I'm in Oz(Australia).
LadyAradia View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyAradia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 9:34am
I was thinking Australia. I think it may be oil in your skin. Maybe try a better tape and a skin prep like alcohol 
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2015 at 3:17pm
For skin prep I used 99% alcohol and walker scalp protector. I waited for the alcohol to dry before applying the scalp protector. Then allowed that to dry before applying the tape. Should I get another scalp protector? Walker also has scalp protector thick (in a black label bottle), I was looking at it but thought it was overkill.
Lacy Gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lacy Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2015 at 5:22pm
I always found it easier to apply the tape to the lace (without removing the paper from the side of the tape that will be against your skin). I would dog ear the end of the paper and remove it with tweezers as I applied the wig.

I used Supertape low profile because it was less noticeable and easy to clean up.

When I got good at applying tape I would use adhesive at the perimeter with the tape. 

Edited by Lacy Gal - Apr 26 2015 at 5:29pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic