Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mega Millions now up to $636 million

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mega Millions now up to $636 million
    Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 10:56pm

The jackpot increase to 636 million since this article was written.

Mega Millions gives dreamers $586 million reasons to try their luck at jackpot

Because no winner hit Friday, the enormous $550 million score rolled over for Tuesday’s drawing. But, even though the jackpot is astronomical, so are the odds of winning. Since the numbers pool was expanded in October, gamblers have a 1 in 259 million chance of winning.

Comments (3)

BY GINGER ADAMS OTIS / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

UPDATED: MONDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2013, 6:29 PM
< border="0" ="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" ="0" ="0" width="100%" id="I0_1387256043452" name="I0_1387256043452" ="https://apis.google.com/u/0/_/+1/fast?usegapi=1&bsv=o&size=medium&annotation=none&width=&hl=en&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com&=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fnews%2Fnational%2Fmega-millions-jackpot-climbs-586-million-article-1.1549446&g=3p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.bOZ09nzM5VM.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DYQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Frs%3DAItRSTNe7amNGiyEWQ6X6FZtmiVtCHjN8Q#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_%2C_%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cd%2Ce%2C&id=I0_1387256043452&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com&pfname=&rpctoken=20408049" -gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10px; vertical-align: line; width: 32px; : none; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; -: none; : static; top: 0px; left: 0px; visibility: ; height: 20px;">
Print
SHARE THIS URL:< id="bitly_copy_" allowtransparency="true" border="0" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 12px; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: line; width: 238px; height: 30px; overflow: ; visibility: ;">
   The Mega Millions jackpot was climbing Monday — with some speculating that it might break through the $1 billion barrier by Tuesdays drawing.

ERIK S. LESSER/EPA

The Mega Millions jackpot was climbing Monday — with some speculating that it might break through the $1 billion barrier by Tuesday's drawing.

The Mega Millions jackpot is $586 million and growing — along with speculation that it could top $1 billion by Christmas if nobody wins between now and then.

A last minute rush for tickets ahead of the Tuesday evening drawing could push the $586 million above the previous record — a $656 million jackpot that paid out last April.

That would give one lucky winner a cool $316 million cash payout, or even more if sales pass the $656 million benchmark.

“I think we'll be very close to the record, and maybe even surpass it,” said Paula Otto, lead director of Mega Millions.

RELATED: NO WINNER IN $425M MEGA MILLIONS JACKPOT

“Lotto players are procrastinators. They tend to buy on the day of the draw,” she told the Associated Press.

No matter when you buy, the odds of winning are longer than ever thanks to new rules enacted Oct. 22 by Mega Millions.

Players can now pick five numbers between 1 and 75. It used to be capped at 56.

The Megaball choices were lessened, however, from 1 to 46 to 1 through 15.

RELATED: WIDOW TO SPLIT $1M LOTTERY WINNER’S ESTATE WITH HIS DAUGHTER FROM PRIOR MARRIAGE

That simple change increased the odds of winning the jackpots from 1 in 176 million to 1 in 259 million — but also increased the number of smaller wins, said Virginia lottery spokesman John Hagerty.

Given that the chances of someone getting a golden ticket are significantly slimmer now, the jackpot could roll over once, twice, and possibly even three times by Dec. 25 — likely putting it at a mind-blowing, record-setting $1 billion.

“It is speculation, but based on sales we’ve seen so far, if this jackpot is still rolling by Christmas, it would almost certainly be $1 billion,” Hagerty said.

Sharon Kei, from Queens, said she’d be happy with anything.

RELATED: UNEMPLOYED EX-CON TURNED POWERBALL WINNER DIES IN HOSPICE

“Give me another one,” Kei said to the cashier as she bought Mega tickets on her lunch hour at Grand Central Terminal.

“I'm gonna buy five more ... If I ever had a chance to have that fortune, I would set up a nonprofit organization and put the money toward that. Like a Make-a-Wish type of foundation. Whatever people need, I'd give them.”

Anne Nu, on her way home to Michigan, decided to tempt Lady Luck before leaving.

“I don't play that often but I'll play if it's a big amount. I think sometimes people think that because so many people are playing that their odds are lower ... I still say luck is luck, right?,” said the Columbia University business school grad.

< style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 14px; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: line; line-height: inherit; border-top-left-radius: 0px; border-top-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-right-radius: 0px; border-bottom-left-radius: 0px; width: 0px; height: 0px;">

Whatever the jackpot is, the winner can count on losing a sizeable portion to Uncle Sam, said Andre McDonnaugh, a financial planner in the city.

“It’s going to be close to 50% — federal, state and city taxes,” said McDonnaugh. “And you have to be careful where you put it. It can add up to an immense amount of taxes if you’re not clear on what you’re doing.”

Otto estimated that between 65% and 75% of the 259 million possible number combinations will be in play when the winning combo is announced Tuesday.

With the stakes so high, whoever wins can count on living among the world’s elite. They’d be richer than Yankee greats Derek Jeter and A-Rod, and even wealthier than pop diva Lady Gaga.

And all the losers can take solace in the fact that they at least got to dream about being rich, said George Mason law professor Lloyd Cohen.

“It's not a bad return on your investment. You spend a few bucks, and you get to dream about escaping your life for a while,” said Cohen, who's written about the lottery.

“You don't expect to make money when you go to the movies, or go skiing, you want to have a good time. That's what this is about,” he said.

With News Wire Services

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mega-millions-jackpot-climbs-586-million-article-1.1549446#ixzz2nhlTZlLj

Edited by bindy - Dec 17 2013 at 6:50pm
Sponsored Links

Butta Cookie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Butta Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 11:11pm
I've got the golden ticket!
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 11:13pm
i think i'll play
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 11:41pm
ugh….. why did u have to tell these hos? 

thats even less of a chance for me to win.. half of these hos wasn't even thinking about it. 

GG View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2013 at 11:52pm
I'm playing!
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 12:03am
LOLWin that money ladies
Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Katrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 12:19am
Shhhhh, quit talking about "MY" money.

We must think positive. 
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 12:59am
If no one wins on Tuesday it could go up to a billion dollars.
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 2:24am
There is a place here in LA known for selling winning tickets... too bad the wait will be over 2 hours or else I would drive there. But I think if you are meant to win, you can buy the ticket off the orange machine at the supermarket and you'll win.

I thought it would reach 500 million by Christmas, I am surprised how fast it is going. If no one wins, on Christmas' Eve it will easily be 700 million.
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2013 at 2:32am
After taxes the lump sum payout will be around 325 million dollars. That's too much money for one person. I hope 4 or 5 people split the jackpot.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>