BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medical billing/coding as a "career"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 10:29pm
Hb surgical tech doesnt take long and the pay is pretty decent,
Sponsored Links

Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Cream do you know anything about Cancer Registrars or CTR certification? Someone else mentioned it to me and I'm trying to gather more information on whether it's a good field to get into.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that, but I will ask our Lab Assistant instructors and Career Services about that Monday. One of our main companies that hire our Lab Assistant graduates is Cancer Therapy and Research Center/ UT Health Science
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:35pm
Any billing and coders here began from online training? :(
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2014 at 11:42pm
If you're considering an online school, just like any school, get their completion and placement rates, externship sites info and a recent list of companies that have hired their graduates.

If they don't have those features, just remember that you're going to be applying for the same positions as people that went to a school that did.

A lot of people learned MBC on the job, years ago but with the implementation of Obama care, the MBC field is going to be even more detailed and lets say for example, the codes that were 7 digits long are now 12 digits long, and includes letters .

I get calls from people that have worked in billing and coding for years, but learned on the job and if they can't get AAPC certified, they will be replaced by someone who is.Those people may not need the full course; they could likely benefit from a short term program or one on one tutoring classes from someone that's in consulting or an instructor at a school like mine.

Again, I'm not saying those short term programs or online classes aren't productive. I just have yet to meet ONE person that had success.

Most schools have an online catalog. Print out the curriculum and do a side by side comparison. Contact billing companies and see if their HR people can give you some insight.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:00am
Thank you, Cream.

I actually was considering doing online from AAPC itself! The schools in my area do not host AAPC or AHIMA approved training which I'm focused on for the sake of being considered seriously.

I really do want an externship to get my foot in the door so perhaps in-class learning is the better option.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

What do y'all think about going billing and coding classes online?

Honestly, I MUCH prefer to take actual classes in person. The idea of an online class seems so impersonal and passive, I feel as if I'd forget what I learned because the internet is a passive pastime to me.

BUT local education institutions want $15k for a full term courses in person while these classes from accredited organizations like AAPC and AHIMA will charge in the hundreds to about $3k.

If I do it online, I'm afraid I'll look far less experienced on paper to potential job prospects.. plus I don't think I'd have the choice of taking an externship. But these courses being done through AAPC or AHIMA may also make up for that.

Honestly I don't have a strong opinion either way about online classes but for me as an individual, I prefer a face to face classroom interaction because I had a bad experience with an online classroom and it was with a reputable school (kinda).  The teacher didn't want to answer questions I had and basically when I asked a question, she acted like I was asking her to explain the theorem in an axiomatic systems or some abstract ish.  But I feel like if it is accredited and if they are easily reachable and can easily answer questions and address any doubt or concerns about the program, you should give it a go.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 6:18am
Originally posted by HeyBeautiful18 HeyBeautiful18 wrote:

What are some other medical field carers that have little amount of schooling?

Pharmacy Technician.  In my state, you just need be to licensed (no schooling require, just pay the fee) and most of the organizations are actually making the move for their techs to be nationally certified.
melly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 3:59pm
Hi, I'm in the same boat as you , I graduated 2 years ago with a degree and I still can't find a job in my field and I decided that this year I'll be going back to school in the fall to take an 1 year accounting program at a community college because I want to have a stable and steady career and get paid and accounting clerk jobs are in very high demand where I live. At first, I originally wanted to take graphic design/ web design but I'm on the fence because graphic design where I live is very oversaturated and I'm afraid I might end up still not being able to find a job after I finish .

I think you should take the medical/billing coding program if there are a lot of jobs and still pursue graphic design on the side, I think that it is possible to have 2 careers at the same time.

Edited by melly - Apr 16 2014 at 4:03pm
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 5:58pm
So I went to a local accredited school yesterday

I'm ready for this, but I may not be able to get financial aid which is what I'm sad about. :\

I don't have the means to pay $13k out of pocket.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic