Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Medical billing/coding as a "career"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

They highly recommend that you get an internship but have no process in place for you to do it.  If you get through the classes, and want a job, like some of yall have stated here, you need that experience. 

yea for this reason.. i think the other type schools are better.. 

idk how different clinical medical assisting is cus there are more chances of hurting someone/really messing up.. but with MA.. even if you have to secure your own externship site.. you'll still be covered insurance wise cus most likely the school will have the agreements or whatever with that place.. 

whereas if youre just out on your own.. its really hard to get someone to give you a chance cus if you screw up.. youre not an employee or legit student of theres to be covered in case there are accidents/problems 

i didnt word that very well but you get the point 

Sponsored Links

mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:45pm
I just took a look at a state university in my area and they have a program that's 2k.  Idk how they are about internships. 
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

i dont think OP should make this her career.. just somethin on the side until she can find her dream job 

radiation and radiology are good jobs to get into too (there are long wait lists here) but it takes 2 years just to finish.. thats too much time unless its your ultimate career goal... imo. 

What is the difference between radiation and radiology? Which one makes more money?
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:51pm
I happened to take a look at another college's certification program for this and it's almost 3k when you take into consideration books and supplies.  Just thought that may be helpful.

As far as surgical tech programs, those appear to take around a year to complete since that came up.
305bgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote 305bgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

Originally posted by 305bgirl 305bgirl wrote:

OP what type of freelance work do you do and what degree to you already have?

Long story short, I got a degree in graphic design not knowing exactly what I wanted to do when I got out so I just worked for the past 2 years.  Now I actually know what I want to do (illustration) and I'm getting paid jobs.  My family wants me to get big money NOW and don't consider my illustration career a real thing so they are more-or less forcing me to do something else.  Nothing freelance or involving entrepreneurship.  They want me in a 9-5.

Fogey's

This leads me to another question.  Since I have a Bachelor's I'll go ahead and assume that the options in terms of grants are very limited?
By the time you invest your time and money in a program where most people only make on avg. 30k/yr, you could be marketing your skills/building clientele. There are so many businesses/people that could use your sort of expertise and you could easily come out making more money than a medical coder. The key to freelance work is that you have to really learn how to market yourself and what you do. You can go face-to-face with business owners, show them your portfolio and offer them web-design, logo design, brochure design services, etc. Instagram, Twitter, and FB are good networking tools. People are always looking for people to design invitations(weddings/birthday), illustrations for t-shirts(since everyone under the sun is coming out with clothing lines), and  flyers. You can contact businesses on those sites and maybe even try to present your portfolio to photographers/studios, wedding/event planners, so that maybe you can partner with them. Just don't limit yourself and be willing to work to the point where your family can't say sh*t. Also, make sure that you are very accessible on the web, so that people can find you (website, seo, & social media accounts) and see your work. 

Don't get stuck in a career you don't enjoy. If you put in the right amount of work and commitment, positive results will follow. 

Edited by 305bgirl - Jan 22 2014 at 2:10pm
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 2:56pm
I agree with all of this ^^^ 100%. IMO, you need to go to the local SBA.gov office and get help with setting up a tax id & business license and registering a business name, making a business plan and that way you can put something on your resume where it will look like you have been working consistently and do the stuff that 305bgirl listed ASAP. SBA can help you get a microloan and that way, you can buy some of the supplies, etc that you need to work for yourself til you find the job you need.

Dont lose hope. President Obama established a lot of grants for states to offer entrepreneurial programs for people. If you have ever been on unemployment b4, the local office still has our name in the computer and they will probably be able to tell you about grants & free training services for people that want to start a new business as part of their re-employment services. good luckSmile
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 9:41pm

bump
ive been looking into this...most classes ive looked at look like a scam though..
marumaruyobi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote marumaruyobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

bump
ive been looking into this...most classes ive looked at look like a scam though..

HeyBeautiful18 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HeyBeautiful18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 4:38pm
Thank you for this thread

I have been wanting to go back to school for something in the medical field that didn't require a lot of school..

its been two years since i graduated with my associates in general studies. I need to do something with my life

Edited by HeyBeautiful18 - Mar 08 2014 at 4:39pm
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2014 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by marumaruyobi marumaruyobi wrote:

Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

bump

thank you very much maruma!!!EmbarrassedClap

i wonder if I could do the online courses

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
  Share Topic