BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medical billing/coding as a "career"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Butta Cookie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butta Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:44am
My friend went to school for all this got hired at a good company. They let everyone go in 2007 and she was on unemployment plus food stamps until she found a job this December. Here in IL the market is saturated with medical billers, physician assistants, medical assistants and anything else Everest had. She only makes $12 a hour. She doesn't regret spending the money to go to school but does. And now you have to be fluent in Spanish to do alot of jobs in the medical field. Hopefully it works out for you OP.
Sponsored Links

mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:48am
Okay, so I am getting more information about this particular cert. program at a community college in the area.  I called the program coordinator for more information but she wasn't there.  Does anyone have questions about this field?  I'll see what information I can get.
AwesomeAries View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

Okay, so I am getting more information about this particular cert. program at a community college in the area.  I called the program coordinator for more information but she wasn't there.  Does anyone have questions about this field?  I'll see what information I can get.

op radiation therapy make more money
and you can take a short program

petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:19pm
I'm glad I saw this thread. I have been wanting to go back to school. I have been considering taking a radiology tech program or medical billing. I think that being able to work from home make me want to give medical billing a shot. HMMM.....
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I'm glad I saw this thread. I have been wanting to go back to school. I have been considering taking a radiology tech program or medical billing. I think that being able to work from home make me want to give medical billing a shot. HMMM.....

Not trying to dissuade you but if you do go into radiology tech, be very flexible in where you want to work in terms of location.  If you don't have a problem in working in Pigknuckles, MS then you shouldn't have a problem.  Another thing I am reading is that there is a oversaturation of rad techs so my guess is to get as many certs as you can such as ultrasound, X-ray, etc.  There is a whole forum in indeed.com to get some insight.  I am in the rad tech track but initially I was in surg tech track but they make chicken sh*t.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:35pm
^^^Also if you can afford it, try doing both.  Meanwhile I am trying to see if I can get cert in ICD-10 on my own.  But most likely I will have to go to school for it *le sigh*.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:36pm
surgical techs here make decent money.. 

i wanted to do that most just cus i love looking at surgery/cutting things open.. but it took too long 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

surgical techs here make decent money.. 

i wanted to do that most just cus i love looking at surgery/cutting things open.. but it took too long 

In my state, they tend to make more if they have a nursing degree to back it up.  And the surg tech program takes less than two years, which is a plus.
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

Not trying to dissuade you but if you do go into radiology tech, be very flexible in where you want to work in terms of location.  If you don't have a problem in working in Pigknuckles, MS then you shouldn't have a problem.  Another thing I am reading is that there is a oversaturation of rad techs so my guess is to get as many certs as you can such as ultrasound, X-ray, etc.  There is a whole forum in indeed.com to get some insight.  I am in the rad tech track but initially I was in surg tech track but they make chicken sh*t.

ThanksSmile

Good info

I am definitely not open to relocating right now. I am married with a family so just up and moving isn't really ideal for us. I had no idea that there is an oversaturation of rad techs. Im in the DMV area and I always see wanted ads for techs. I really just wanted a career change that didn't require 4 yrs of schooling and to have a trade under my belt that I could always get work with. 
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:17pm
About the rad techs, one of my friends went down that road (4 year university though) and she said the same thing about it being over saturated.  I've heard that for years.  She was lucky enough to get a job in our hometown which is more into the medical field but even then it wasn't a cake-walk from my understanding.  She may have other credentials.  I wish I had more details but I haven't seen her is a while.

I did speak to the program coordinator at the college I mentioned above and she was surprisingly honest. 

At that instiution, the medical coding/billing program is not a degree program and therefore you don't get aide for it like you normally would.  It's set up to prep students for 2 certification exams (NHA and CPC).  There are 6 required classes for it which you sign up for whenever you fell like basically so however long it takes you to finish the program ultimately depends on your budget and how long it takes you to get through.

You pay for classes as you take them and excluding textbooks they all cost approx $805. 

They highly recommend that you get an internship but have no process in place for you to do it.  If you get through the classes, and want a job, like some of yall have stated here, you need that experience. 

Now about the exams...the NHA is $105 and all employers are going to want this, some don't.  This one is apparently not that bad.  Most of the employers are going to want the CPC..they say it's not required but it actually is.  This exam is 6 hours long and $600.  The have yet another class other than the required 6 that preps you for this exam.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
  Share Topic