BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Medical billing/coding as a "career"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:47am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

im guessing after you do a 6 month certification program, nobody hires someone with no experience. 

if you can get hired by your externship site.. thats usually your best bet 

What is this and how to does it work?

like.. same thing as an internship. 
with some schools in addition to completing your classroom/lecture hours you have to complete a certain amount of hours at a real place in order to complete the course.. (mines was kaiser.. had to do a 160 hours there.. but it could be anywhere) 
mines wasnt billing/coding but i know my friend who did billing/coding was required to do an externship too.. 

Okay, that's kind of what I figured but didn't want to assume.  Do you know if you get paid or reimbursed in any way?  Is it like some internships were it's similar to a job were you need to apply for?
Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:49am
Mang---follow your path even if non traditional. Grind and your money will come
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:53am
no you dont get paid for the externship typically.. its just part of the course work 

i know some schools place you (mines did, and my friends did.. we didnt have to do anything.. although at first they wanted me to go far distance and some little office.. but i wasnt having that.. i worked my butt off and i wanted kaiser.. typically you dont have much of a choice though when youre placed) 

but others say they'll 'provide assistance' but youre kinda just out there on your own trying to find a site that will take you.. 

but i dont think its too challenging to find one.. places love externees cus they dont have to pay them. 
i know a place that just rotates students like clockwork and never hires more ppl although they really need the help. 

Edited by coconess - Jan 22 2014 at 10:54am
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:04am
Epitome, yeah I knoooooow but my family, urgh they're like Hitler without the death. Cry

Coconess, what I'm hearing is that they are glad to take externshipee;s but then when it's time for folks to get paid you're kind of screwed because the site's just want to get free labor? 
AwesomeAries View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:05am
•    Certified Professional Coder (CPC®) – $48,593
•    Certified Professional Coder – Hospital Outpatient (CPC-H®) – $56,284
•    Certified Professional Coder – Payer (CPC-P®) – $57,995
•    Certified Professional Practice Manager (CPPM®) – $59,619
•    Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA®) – $61,115
•    Certified Professional Biller (CPB™) – $61,667

2013 salary results 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:09am
op become a radiation therapist
they make more money 

Quick Facts: Radiation Therapists
2012 Median Pay$77,560 per year 
$37.29 per hour
Entry-Level EducationAssociate’s degree
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:10am
it depends on the site.. 

you dont get paid for simply completing your hours but ive seen ppl get hired right after they were finished because the site liked them and needed someone.. my grandmas doc office had a young guy there doing his.. at the same time i was doing mines.. he got hired right after and still works there like 3 years later.. I saw that they hired another girl after her externship too a while later.. i wanted to go to that hospital for mines but my school didnt have the insurance agreements with them. 

then there are sites like mines who supposedly, 'didnt have the budget for hiring' and i had talked to hella ppl.. like no one got hired straight away there.. its just the way it was. i heard that before going to that site but thats just where i preferred to go. 

a few ppl from my class got hired from their externships... the ppl who didnt.. most are still looking.. (including myself.. but i havent really applied for places aside from kaiser and other big hospitals.. so yea i kinda limit myself.. if i was more hungry i could have probably made it happen) 

but theres more need for billing/coding evidently

Edited by coconess - Jan 22 2014 at 11:15am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:17am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Mang---follow your path even if non traditional. Grind and your money will come

I agree but I would hope that anyone who follows their path has a back up plan
in 2014 we trying to get this money
even if we gotta hustle like peter
and be an opportunist like todd LOL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:26am
icdc college got a program 
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:41am
i dont think OP should make this her career.. just somethin on the side until she can find her dream job 

radiation and radiology are good jobs to get into too (there are long wait lists here) but it takes 2 years just to finish.. thats too much time unless its your ultimate career goal... imo. 

Edited by coconess - Jan 22 2014 at 11:45am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style