Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Medical billing/coding as a "career"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:26am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

suga can you hook me up with a good job when i move to new york? 

Girl when are you moving? My hospital clients are all over the place. Pick a state any stateLOLLOLLOL.
Sponsored Links

Brjasuga51 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:27am
Best way to go ..is through an agency.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:30am
i see a medical billing and coding 80 hour class at a university in my hometown.. for 1799.. its only like 2.5 months..
its icd-9.. and its saying that after like 6 months of work experience you'd have enough experience to take the exam... i think the longer programs prep you to take the exam right away.. and definitely have externships.. this one is just kinda giving you some knowledge then throwing you out there to fend for yourself.. with no experience. whos gonna get a job after taking a 2.5 month class with no actual real life experience from an externship?

i guess thats how some of the shorter ones and longer ones vary.. i know at my friends school and my school there was definitely a required externship in order to pass then the big test 

Edited by coconess - Jan 22 2014 at 9:32am
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:31am
oh ok suga i didnt know you was a boss like that... im trying to get like you 

any good jobs in CA?
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Brjasuga51 Brjasuga51 wrote:

Best way to go ..is through an agency.

SugaJR has a good point. Those agencies will have you working at different hospitals and that will give you the experience you need. I don't think a externship is necessary imo but I could be wrong. Working for an agency to gain some experience and learn while getting your foot in the door.
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:30am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Guys why don't you get a job at a hospital/medical company for any entry level position then get the company to pay for your course through tuition reimbursement. I know its a hassle but I would rather do that than give Sallie mae another gotdang dime. 

Great suggestion but the problem is actually getting a job.  If I could get a job...any job I wouldn't even be looking at this cert. lol  I do agree with the bolded.
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:32am

Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

im guessing after you do a 6 month certification program, nobody hires someone with no experience. 

if you can get hired by your externship site.. thats usually your best bet 

What is this and how to does it work?
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Soulful Beauty Soulful Beauty wrote:

Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

did your program cost a lot soufulbeauty?
15 thousand. But I did get a grant for 6 thousand.

My sister suggest this path to me...I hate my sister right nowErmm
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:36am
Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

im guessing after you do a 6 month certification program, nobody hires someone with no experience. 

if you can get hired by your externship site.. thats usually your best bet 

What is this and how to does it work?

like.. same thing as an internship. 
with some schools in addition to completing your classroom/lecture hours you have to complete a certain amount of hours at a real place in order to complete the course.. (mines was kaiser.. had to do a 160 hours there.. but it could be anywhere) 
mines wasnt billing/coding but i know my friend who did billing/coding was required to do an externship too.. 

Edited by coconess - Jan 22 2014 at 10:39am
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:44am
Originally posted by 305bgirl 305bgirl wrote:

OP what type of freelance work do you do and what degree to you already have?

Long story short, I got a degree in graphic design not knowing exactly what I wanted to do when I got out so I just worked for the past 2 years.  Now I actually know what I want to do (illustration) and I'm getting paid jobs.  My family wants me to get big money NOW and don't consider my illustration career a real thing so they are more-or less forcing me to do something else.  Nothing freelance or involving entrepreneurship.  They want me in a 9-5.

Fogey's

This leads me to another question.  Since I have a Bachelor's I'll go ahead and assume that the options in terms of grants are very limited?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
  Share Topic