Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Medical billing/coding as a "career"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 7:46pm
My concern is how feasible it is to be starting out at 2 careers at the same time.  I'm not some super woman who can do it all...I tried to do work relating to my desired field while I was working my last job.  It ended up as a disaster.  How time intensive is the curriculum?  I can't give up on my desired career path or chuck it to the side, that will make the past 20 years of my life a waste of time and if this medical thing doesn't work I think I'm just going to give up at life.
Sponsored Links

Brjasuga51 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by mangachan mangachan wrote:

My concern is how feasible it is to be starting out at 2 careers at the same time.  I'm not some super woman who can do it all...I tried to do work relating to my desired field while I was working my last job.  It ended up as a disaster.  How time intensive is the curriculum?  I can't give up on my desired career path or chuck it to the side, that will make the past 20 years of my life a waste of time and if this medical thing doesn't work I think I'm just going to give up at life.
To be honest with you its numbers and keeping updated with insurances and changes. Also knowing the law that pertains to the medical field. The course depends on where you take the classes. Some people do it in 3 -6 months. About your desired career...can acquire a volunteer job just to have a good idea of the path you have decide?. If so you can try that oath first before jumping in head first.hth
IslandSuga View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 7:58pm
I worked in a medical billing office doing insurance aging (basically checking on claims status for the providers we had in our company, an entry level position) and the medical billers had consistent hours and pay. I don't know how much they got paid, but one of my co-workers used to work in NY and she got great money (I'm in FL). I think it's a good career and it's something you can make great money in whether you're billing for a private company, private practice or a hospital. ICD codes are always changing so the career is always needing people
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 8:07pm
how does someone with no experience get started in ICD10 ?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

Connections. That's how I got my last job, by the grace of god. I had no experience in medical billing or insurance aging. I mostly did insurance aging, I basically called the insurance companies for the providers accounts and asked for payments that are missing or got updates on payments. I did a little bit of medical billing, nothing that required schooling though
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 8:43pm

I always see medical billing jobs posted online...how is it hard to find a job in that field? You basically work from home or at a hospital. There will always be work for a medical coder/biller.  
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 8:45pm

good thread
mocherry View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mocherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:06pm
Medical billers often translate the data that is documented on a superbill onto a HCFA 1500 or UB04. That form is then submitted to the insurance company for payment.

ICD10 has been in the making for a few years now and I think the go-live should finally begin late this year. Some of the easiest information to ICD10 can be found on CMS dot gov. If you are familiar with ICD9, the transition may not be so difficult. It's mostly them adding additional digits and/or letters to the diagnosis code to make it more specific.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

I always see medical billing jobs posted online...how is it hard to find a job in that field? You basically work from home or at a hospital. There will always be work for a medical coder/biller.  

Truth. The medical field isn't going anywhere. EVER
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 9:12pm
gosh.. yall are really making me extra regret my choice.. and making my consider going back for it. 

id like to have something that pays well so that i can just do it part time and still be good throughout my 20 more years in school... 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic