Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medical billing/coding as a "career"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medical billing/coding as a "career"?
    Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:25pm
Right now I don't have a "normal" job anymore so some family members are practically TELLING me to take a program in medical billing and coding so I can get a job.  I have a degree and I am actually doing freelance work in that area but it's taking longer than anticipated for a lot of different reasons.

I don't really want to go back to school again, especially since I won't even be guaranteed any kind of job.  So that's possibly 4-6 months on a program that may cost thousands of dollars out of MY pocket (that I don't have)...the people telling me to do that wouldn't, can't and shouldn't foot the bill for this.  I have alot of personal issues with this whole issue but my main concern here is that the only way I've been building the momentum I have as far as my freelance work is that I can dedicate most of my time to it. 

Plus, that's like what, 4-6 months maybe before I can even get a job with this certificate?  And I still may not get a job after that.  Just the thought of jumping through more hoops in this job search thing with no freaking reward pisses me off to the point of physical illness.   I will contact a member of the department at the community college to see what she says about it but I just expect it to be full of bull crap about how awesome the program is...because as an admissions adviser I do NOT in any way expect an unbiased assessment.

Is anyone familiar with medical billing and coding?  What is the likelihood of me getting a job in this.  I've jumped through the hoops..why should I be any more employable after getting this little certification?  How long does it normally take people to get through this mess?
Sponsored Links

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:28pm
Its a pretty lucrative career. Most coders I know work from home. You don't need to go to the office. 
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:31pm
I still don't understand what medical billing is?
They just put in the lil' codes for the insurance?
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:33pm
my ex bff did it. 

i think shes doing well now.. before she couldnt seem to get a job ANYwhere.. 

i regret not doing billing/coding instead of clinical medical assisting.. the school i went to offered that cert with the admin medical assisting... there are too many ppl trying to get clinical jobs 

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:37pm
Its the ways to go since U.S. is late on changing to ICD10. We are currently on ICD9 while all the other countries are on ICD10. The deadline to change over is October 2014 so all the hospital are scrambling to get ICD 10 certified coders on deck. The coders at my company are paid!! If you start out at a hospital you will get chump change. But if you start with a consulting company or a medical software company you will get PAID. 

Edited by sugabanana - Jan 21 2014 at 6:52pm
yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:44pm
When insurance receives an invoice it contains a series of codes assigned to each service or procedure. Their job is to maximize the money by making sure the right code is billed. These are called Diagnostic related groups (DRG) I believe...certification means that a dr office or hospital can read and create bills to make sure they receive the proper reimbursement. 
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:44pm
im pretty sure kaiser coders start at like 24 per hour which isnt bad at all 
Brjasuga51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 6:46pm
Its putting in hcpcs codes...revenue codes and service code for dates of services. Also making sure that the doctors have NPI numbers as well has the institution.
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 7:13pm
Well, I guess this might be something that doesn't end in total failure for me.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 7:22pm
i say dont give up on your career of choice... and if you are going to do this you might as well take a dental hygine training I think its the same amount of time but you make more money in the end!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>