BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

May is Lupus Awareness Month

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

OuchCry

I am so weak. I can't even read stuff like that without feeling nauseous let alone live through it

But it's so important to know about it because if someone you love is going through it you can encourage them to get to a doctor and hopefully get some help. That's the important thing.

Just asking the questions is doing such a great thing. Be proud of yourself!

Sponsored Links

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:43pm
You know what's the funniest thing? A lot of places will have walks for lupus this month. Which, is a good thing.

But, one of the common symptoms is sun sensitivity. Like to the point of breaking out in hives or a rash, swelling up, and needing to recover for like 3 days in bed after being in sunlight for 10 mins.

And they'll have the walks outside. I'm always like, are y'all just trying to kill me? Lol. We need to have this walk in the gym or at night or something.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:43pm
*hugs* Maysay. I hope you are feeling better soon.

my BIL is currently on the transplant list for kidney; lupus. He's been on the list for a few years now. His condition isn't bad enough to get him moved to top, but it's bad enough that he's been hospitalized several times. It's getting pretty hard on him after so many years. He was diagnosed around 20 yrs ago.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Awww MaysayHug. Thanks for educating me on this disorder. I never knew the extent of the disease. I just thought people were just fatigued and tired all day.  

Yeah, some people are. And some don't really have symptoms at all. Lupus can be so different for every individual.

And thanks for the love!
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:51pm
Maysay is this disorder hereditary? Or does it just develop in people?
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

*hugs* Maysay. I hope you are feeling better soon.

my BIL is currently on the transplant list for kidney; lupus. He's been on the list for a few years now. His condition isn't bad enough to get him moved to top, but it's bad enough that he's been hospitalized several times. It's getting pretty hard on him after so many years. He was diagnosed around 20 yrs ago.

Well he sounds strong since he's made it this far so I hope his strength continues. I know it can be hard.

Probably the hardest part is the mental...a lot of times you can learn to bear the pain and inconvenience. But how do you stay positive when your dreams crumble? I don't have the answer to that.
kerysdream7 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerysdream7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:56pm
thanks for sharing your story. Was it easy for the doctors to diagnose your condition?
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Maysay is this disorder hereditary? Or does it just develop in people?

The research says it's not hereditary (as in, if your mom has it that doesn't mean you will). But it does seem to run in families.

There are a lot of autoimmune issues in my bio fam on my mom's side. Don't know dad's side. A lot of people went undiagnosed though so sometimes it's hard to tell.

Autoimmune issues are so common now (our environment has triggered some nasty stuff) so basically anyone can get it. But it's more common in women of color.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Well he sounds strong since he's made it this far so I hope his strength continues. I know it can be hard.

Probably the hardest part is the mental...a lot of times you can learn to bear the pain and inconvenience. But how do you stay positive when your dreams crumble? I don't have the answer to that.

yes he is strong. It may have helped him that he was in excellent shape before he was diagnosed. This was one of the hardest parts for him when he started getting sick, not being able to be active anymore. He's had good periods, then he will be sick for months. Cry
mzsophisticated View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mzsophisticated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 6:06pm
My mom has sjorgrens syndrome which can be a gateway to lupus and I think she said her endocrinologist said she is beginning to develop signs lupus. I have to be careful because I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is an autoimmue thyroid condition
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>