Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

May is Lupus Awareness Month

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: May is Lupus Awareness Month
    Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:17pm
Considering recent events and all...please do what you can to support awareness and those in your life who might be afflicted.

Check out www.lupus.org.

If you have questions, feel free to ask. I've been diagnosed for 8 years now.
Sponsored Links

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:18pm
I have many questions...

Like how does Lupus come about?
What are some symptoms?
Are there different types like there are different types of Diabetes?

DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I have many questions...

What are some symptoms?

all of the above...thanks
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Considering recent events and all...please do what you can to support awareness and those in your life who might be afflicted.

Check out www.lupus.org.

so u have your good days and bad days MaySay1?  Hug
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I have many questions...

What are some symptoms?

Lupus is an autoimmune disorder. Basically, you may have a genetic predisposition to having the issue and then an environmental cause is the trigger. For example, surgery or other trauma, severe illness, puberty/hormone fluctuation etc.

The simplest way to explain the disease is that your immune system works in overdrive to attack things that shouldn't be there. The problem is, with lupus your immune system thinks your organs, tissues, etc shouldn't be there. So you need immunosuppressants (NOT stimulants) to keep it calm.

There is SLE, which is the general internal kind. And Discoid, which attacks the skin. You can have one or both. Lupus sufferers will also have other autoimmune disorders as well like Sjogrens, Raynauds, and other stuff.

The symptoms can range all over the place. Some people just have simple fatigue...others can go into renal failure all of a sudden and then they find out it's because of lupus. (Dr. House isn't always right...sometimes IT IS LUPUS lol.)
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:26pm
Omg, woww

Thanks for the clarification Maysay!
That sounds absolutely painful geesh
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Check out www.lupus.org.

so u have your good days and bad days MaySay1?  Hug

Basically.

I was fine for the first few years. I was diagnosed my junior year of college (had surgery the summer before and then started an intense school/internship program in DC that fall).  I was basically just really tired (slept like 16-20 hours a day) and in pain until I got diagnosed. Got meds and was fine for a while.

The last 3 years have been...not good. I've had pleurisy (fluid/inflammation in lungs), pericarditis (inflamed heart sac), severe hives, fatigue and pain. In the last year I've developed discoid lupus (lesions all over my skin), nephritis (kidney disease), started this year with a severe flu, then had shingles, and now on my second round of antibiotics for pneumonia.

And since the nephritis is getting worse I will probably have to do a round of chemo for it soon.

So currently...not so many good days. But I'm alive so...
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:32pm
Thumbs Up
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:33pm
OuchCry

I am so weak. I can't even read stuff like that without feeling nauseous let alone live through it
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 5:36pm
Awww MaysayHug. Thanks for educating me on this disorder. I never knew the extent of the disease. I just thought people were just fatigued and tired all day.  
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic