Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Massive China City in New York State?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 9:39am
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

It's too late for me to learn Mandarin. My mandarin will never be as good as their English so I won't waste my time. Black people definitely need to push foreign languages on our children early on. Spanish/Portuguese + English and u got all the Americas covered, a few countries in Africa and Europe. Our most gifted language learners should tackle Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic.

With that kind of thinking, of course you won't learn a language but I feel that if you put in the effort and try a different learning method, like immersion, you can communicate with those who speak a different language.  True you may not be fluent but at least you can say you know a second language.

Most certainly, I speak Portuguese already and picking up Spanish. I'm just saying, I don't have the time for immersion and starting over on another language. 3 is enough to keep me busy for life. And I think not learning a language to fluency is almost a waste of time. I'm learning Spanish for business opportunities in the future, not just for fun.
Sponsored Links

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 9:50am
Chinaman plots to take over the hood and possibly kick yall out and the solution we have is to "learn their language". Umm, good luck with that. 

Unless you're an anthropologist or constantly working overseas, I don't see how that helps much. 
ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 9:56am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Chinese are notoriously racist and ethnocentric. I expect the overall plight of Blacks in America to remain unchanged.

They are long range planners and their tactics are almost faultless. They hold some mighty strong purse strings in the US.

It's not really about language acquisition. Who would argue against the benefits of acquiring a second or third language? It's more about why the push for Mandarin over say, Spanish or German, in Texas?

We'll watch, just as we've been watching them in Africa. Hopefully we'll see the forest, without discounting the trees, before their progress spells bad news for the rest of us.

Those of you experienced sinologists, thanks so much for your perspectives. BHM has a mix of everything!!

Plight of the sea turtles

Students coming back home helped build modern China. So why are they now faring so poorly in the labour market?

“I LEFT in 1980 with only three dollars in my pocket,” recalls Li Sanqi. He was one of the first allowed to study overseas after the dark days of the Cultural Revolution. Like most in that elite group, he excelled, rising to a coveted position at the University of Texas, while launching several technology firms. Now he is a senior executive at Huawei, a Chinese telecoms giant, enticed back by the chance to help build a world-class multinational.

Mr Li seems the perfect example of a sea turtle, or hai gui (in Mandarin, the phrase “return across the sea” sounds similar to that animal’s name), long applauded in China for bringing back advanced skills. In the past such folk reliably reaped handsome premiums in the local job market, but no longer. Sea turtles are not universally praised, the wage differential is shrinking and some are even unable to find jobs. Wags say they should now be called hai dai, or seaweed. This is a startling turn, given their past contributions.

Plight of the Sea Turtles
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 9:56am
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Chinaman plots to take over the hood and possibly kick yall out and the solution we have is to "learn their language". Umm, good luck with that. 

Unless you're an anthropologist or constantly working overseas, I don't see how that helps much. 

the black community is OVER
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 9:57am
I sort of like the idea of Portuguese and spanish too. Maybe Arabic. Asian languages are far down my list.
ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 10:11am
[QUOTE=ragincajin]
Plight of the sea turtles

Students coming back home helped build modern China. So why are they now faring so poorly in the labour market?

“I LEFT in 1980 with only three dollars in my pocket,” recalls Li Sanqi. He was one of the first allowed to study overseas...

By the way, those of you who have been, or currently are, international students- how do you think it was that Mr. Sanqi managed on $3 dollars?
Who do you think footed the bill?

creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 10:21am
Lots of cultures r now extinct. I'm over it.
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 10:26am
I'm not an international student but the ones I know have several stories. One lived in a shelter in canada and took odd jobs to get on his feet.
Another had a relative they knew that took them in and they picked up work too.
My family that lived over seas (Africa and Europe) did so through teaching jobs so they fared better.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 10:27am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Well there is a Chinatown near my area but it's Vietnamese...

I'm not learning shyt.

I googled. Apparently the Vietnamese ones are known as Little Saigons"
yellalady08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote yellalady08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2014 at 10:53am
I don't discount that learning the language is not beneficial. In order to know a thing you have to study it and in studying it, you come to understand it. You have to understand the way it thinks and operates before you can beat it. They have studied us for years and they now know how we operate.They know what we care aboit. Thats why you can find a million hair stores, wing and shrimp fried rice joints, and nail shops in any given shopping plaza in the "hood"
They know how to get money.

In business school, the majority of my economics professors were "asian" of some decent. And I always wondered why.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic