Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Twists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Marley Twists

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Yumyum28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yumyum28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marley Twists
    Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 3:14am
Ive also seen them referred to as Havana Twists..
Anywho, I found myself kinda brodying someone elses post, S/O to ErrickaNicholle for her Havana Twist post. So here goes..i spent the entire month of January trying to decide how I would protective style my hair. I plan on keeping it "up" until the summer, perhaps the entire year. I'll be using the C&G method ( yeah, Im late, as usual), with slight modifications per my preference.
So for my first protective style, I chose Marley Twists. I got the cheapest Marley Hair I could find at the BSS @ $4.99/pack x 4 packs = $20.00

I did 2 strand twists using the invisible method.   Cassandre Beccai has a great video on Youtube that explains and shows you exactly how to get it done.    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxp6tBdzs8Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

One thing I noticed in all the videos I watched was how long most of the women's natural hair already was; installing twists on my 1-2 inch twa was NOT THE BUSINESS.. And of the 1 or 2 videos I could find with short haired women, their sections were so much smaller than I intended for myself.

But regardless the concepts are still the same

The first time I tried, it took me forever to "get it"..I ended up just doing the perimeter and pulling it up

Rocked out like that for like 3 days then went back to the drawing board

This time, First I cowashed and deep conditioned my hair
Next i detangled and presectioned my hair

The only supplies I used were my fine tooth rattail comb, a spray bottle with water mixed with a little Aphogee leave in, some Cantu Shea Butter Leave in and Olive Oil Ecostyler gel. I also had a small spray bottle with some EVOO in it to seal in my moisturizing products that didnt make it in the pic

And viola!

Its been almost a full week, Im aiming for 6-8 weeks, retwisting the perimeter as necessary to maintain a neat appearance, sleeping with hair wrapped in a silk scarf or bonnet, spraying daily with water, some kind of water soluble liquid leave in and oil sealant, co washing weekly, ACV rinse and deep condition every 4 weeks to combat buildup and hoping for the best. This might be a good opportunity to experiment with products..I dont like using overly expensive products on my hair unless absolutely necessary, so i might go rack up on some Herbal Essence, Suave type conditioners for co washing and probably some Walmart brand EVOO and Coconut Oil for my sealers, Honey and ACV for my dc and rinse, I get my pure Shea butter from the BSS, but I'll only use one of each product per install, that way I can compare long term results.

TIA for viewing, please dont hesitate to ask a question or leave a comment, anyone in a similar situation feel free to post pics of your process or whatever!

P.s I'll come back with an update and some styles
Sponsored Links

Ashleyano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashleyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 11:25pm
cuteClap! i'll be doing mine next week. i tried one twist out just to see if i could do it using the invisible method it was ok then it started to slide down Unhappy
Yumyum28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yumyum28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 11:50pm
Thx! I had this happen a few times, the trick is to continue twisting the individual strands while twisting together..hope that makes sense.
Another girl on YT explained nicely, I'll see if i can find the link
Ashleyano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashleyano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2013 at 10:21pm
ok thanksSmile
MsCheeks86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsCheeks86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2013 at 7:40am
Cute, I think I'm going to try this today since getting an appointment is impossible.
gotgold5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gotgold5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2013 at 4:05am
Sweet, I do believe I'll do that nowadays given that acquiring a consultation will be difficult.

------------------------

http://www.gw2field.com/
MyCurlyRomance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyCurlyRomance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 5:36pm
Hi :)
Is there anyone in the NYC area that does twists/braids?
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by MyCurlyRomance MyCurlyRomance wrote:

Hi :)
Is there anyone in the NYC area that does twists/braids?
are you asking for someone who does this at their home? Because you live in the BRAIDING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD outside AFRICA itsself? please go walk down 125th street!
boy I miss NYC Cry 
in fact AFROGINIX SALON is located in NY where the Havanna twist style was invented!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply