FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedMan catchin Beignets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 2:14pm
Here's a beignet from Guadeloupe. We have this at Mardi Gras. See the resemblance? The detail they put in the shape of it and the sugaring? At the same time, see how it resembles African fat cakes? It's all connected via the slave trade.

Now here is the Haitian beignet that we have during Carnival

Common denominator: French styling + African flair

Some Haitians also make beignets that look just like the guadeloupean ones I posted above but I can't get the pic to show

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - May 09 2013 at 2:31pm
Sponsored Links

goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

cafe du monde 

Last time I went to N.O. this place made my entire trip. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

cafe du monde 

Last time I went to N.O. this place made my entire trip. 

I wish I'd managed to go before Katrina. I always said I would go one day but now I feel that a lot of the landmarks are gone
danieb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

They are African. The pastry style is French though. Y'all don't have to know. My people know what we made, and what White people stole.

Wait, huh?Confused
'Splain!Geek

ETA: Are you saying that they originated from Africa from pastry techniques learned from the French? But how'd they get over here?

No. I'm saying that "as I know it," there is an African style beignet (in Nigeria we have something called puff. I don't know what it is in other places). It isn't really a dessert. It is more of a side dish served with stew. No confectioner's sugar. The dessert style pastry is French, so the pastry style dessert is French. It is well-known that the French colonized many parts of Africa, so I'm saying they may have seen a dish and decided to take creative liberties. I'm not trying to down the French. Sorry if this offends you.

Honestly, I don't believe that. The French have a strong culinary gastronomy of their own and French pastry including "beignets" has been around forever. So I really don't think that the French stole the idea for beignets from Africa. HOWEVER, New Orleans food is basically French west indian food and French west indian food is basically a mix of African and French food, which is why it's quite possible that the New Orleans beignets have more of an African flair than the traditional French beignets.

Hmm, creole food isnt comprised of a lot of african influence
In it. It's mainly French/Spanish/ and a bit west Indian (which has the African essence in it) Influece.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

They are African. The pastry style is French though. Y'all don't have to know. My people know what we made, and what White people stole.

Wait, huh?Confused
'Splain!Geek

ETA: Are you saying that they originated from Africa from pastry techniques learned from the French? But how'd they get over here?

No. I'm saying that "as I know it," there is an African style beignet (in Nigeria we have something called puff. I don't know what it is in other places). It isn't really a dessert. It is more of a side dish served with stew. No confectioner's sugar. The dessert style pastry is French, so the pastry style dessert is French. It is well-known that the French colonized many parts of Africa, so I'm saying they may have seen a dish and decided to take creative liberties. I'm not trying to down the French. Sorry if this offends you.

Honestly, I don't believe that. The French have a strong culinary gastronomy of their own and French pastry including "beignets" has been around forever. So I really don't think that the French stole the idea for beignets from Africa. HOWEVER, New Orleans food is basically French west indian food and French west indian food is basically a mix of African and French food, which is why it's quite possible that the New Orleans beignets have more of an African flair than the traditional French beignets.

Hmm, creole food isnt comprised of a lot of african influence
In it. It's mainly French/Spanish/ and a bit west Indian (which has the African essence in it) Influece.

It's a whole lot more than a bit!!! I know Creole food and having a French west indian mom and a Haitian dad, I can tell you that the west indian influence is all up in there and it makes perfect sense if you look at the history.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:19pm
My mom is also French, via Guadeloupe, so I know what I'm talking about. Consider that the slaves had a huge influence in shaping the gastronomy of that area. There's also some French Canadian influences in there. The African influence manifests itself through the west indian influence.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - May 09 2013 at 4:25pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:28pm
I'm always shocked that americans don't know this
danieb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:30pm
I'm creole as well with family out of New Orleans and I know the food as well--that's all we eat!
By a bit, I mean the major influence is in Spanish/French food. West Indian influence is not the predominant factor in creole food.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

I'm creole as well with family out of New Orleans and I know the food as well--that's all we eat!
By a bit, I mean the major influence is in Spanish/French food. West Indian influence is not the predominant factor in creole food.

Well, y'all are downplaying the west indian influence because when I eat creole food, I find it incredibly reminiscent. The gumbo, the crab, the beans etc.. It's actually why I like it

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - May 09 2013 at 4:32pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 4:32pm
The Jambalaya is the perfect mixture of French and west indian/african

I forgot the Crawfish Etouffee, the red beans and rice and the beignets that started this thread.
Ask any French west indian if they don't have a version of those dishes in similar names

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - May 09 2013 at 4:43pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic