Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Making sense of the info in the weave section

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making sense of the info in the weave section
    Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 5:41am
I hardly know anything about weaves and quite a few links in the 101 section no longer work. All I've ever tried was sew-in weaves with BSS hair (years ago) and I'm not current on the new techniques or lingo. I also live in an area that's is not known for its great black hairstylists. Can someone simplify all this for A SERIOUSLY NEW NEWBIE?

-Other than sew-ins, what are the other types of weaves and do they require glue? (pictures, videos?)
- Is ist possible to have a sew-in and still have the hair lay flat? (Never had a sew-in that lay flat)
- Which weaving method looks the most natural? The least damaging?
-Is glue damaging to your real hair and should it be avoided? Is a sew-in better for growth?
- What is weft sealing exactly and what's its purpose?  Pictures or video?
- Why is cutting a weft a tricky thing? Isn't a weft the same thing as a track? Why not simply cut the length you want with scissors or is there more to it?
- What on earth is a closure? What does it look like? Picture?
- What is a horse shoe?
- What do you do to make your hairline appear real?
-Why is there a thread dedicated to lice Sick? Do all non-BSS hair come with its own set of lice concerns?
-When you buy hair from a vendor, does it come with the track already there or is it just a hair bunch without nothing to attach it to the scalp? (Hope that makes sense, i'm talking about the band that keeps the track together and that you sew on or glue, versus loose strands of hair)

I know it's a lot of questions but I've been reading quite a few threads and the info is all over and unclear to me. I hope yall can clarify this for me, I'd appreciate it!
Sponsored Links

Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:38am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I hardly know anything about weaves and quite a few links in the 101 section no longer work. All I've ever tried was sew-in weaves with BSS hair (years ago) and I'm not current on the new techniques or lingo. I also live in an area that's is not known for its great black hairstylists. Can someone simplify all this for A SERIOUSLY NEW NEWBIE?

-Other than sew-ins, what are the other types of weaves and do they require glue? (pictures, videos?)
  There's u-part wigs (almost like a sew in but the hair is on a cap and you can just sew it to your perimeter braid).
  Not exactly a "weave" but another form of extension is the microlink. I have had this done before and I completely do not recommend it for ppl with afro hair. Doing this method broke my hair so badly.
  Another way is fusion extensions - requires your hair to be bonded with the extension via keratin glue. I wouldn't recommend this again because it could be hard to maintain if you want to moisturize your scalp (you don't want to risk breaking the keratin bond).
  There's also the quickweave. I think it's entirely done w/ glue on a cap. This is one of those things that should be left to the professionals and even in that case, I wouldn't trust glue anywhere near my hair.

- Is ist possible to have a sew-in and still have the hair lay flat? (Never had a sew-in that lay flat)
  It should be possible to have a non bulky install. It all depends on how the tracks are laid. Sometimes you might run into a thick weft and may have to split it as you get towards the top.

- Which weaving method looks the most natural? The least damaging?
   I've gotta go with sew-ins here or tree braids. For me, the braids were the least damaging.

-Is glue damaging to your real hair and should it be avoided? Is a sew-in better for growth?
 Glue is definitely damaging if your hair is not protected properly and even then I'd never take that chance. I've seen too many LF wig wearers get damaged hairlines because they used adhesives. I think a sew in is better for growth as long as you're able to maintain the hair.

- What is weft sealing exactly and what's its purpose?  Pictures or video?
  Sealing is a way to reinforce the wefts. It helps keep the shedding minimal.

- Why is cutting a weft a tricky thing? Isn't a weft the same thing as a track? Why not simply cut the length you want with scissors or is there more to it?
  When you cut a weft, you weaken it and it could start to shed hair really rapidly. Yes, a weft is another way to say "track". You can still cut the weft if you need to but the thing is that the thread from the weft can get easily to pull and the track will unravel (kinda like a loose string in a sweater - once you pull...).

- What on earth is a closure? What does it look like? Picture?
   A closure is basically a hair piece that goes on the top of your head. It gives an extra realistic finish to your weave because it's done w/ lace or silk and the idea is to get it to match with the color of your scalp so you can have a natural looking part. It's pretty nifty for those of us that don't want to flat iron our hair to death to get it to match with whatever texture we choose to wear.

- What is a horse shoe?
  A "horseshoe" is the description of shape of space that you use for your leave out with a partial sew in. As I understand it, a horseshoe pretty much starts from right above your temple then makes a semi-circle arc around the crown of your head and ends at above the temple on the other side of your head.

- What do you do to make your hairline appear real?
   Leave out hair around the edges. It doesn't have to be a lot, just enough to cover the tracks. 

-Why is there a thread dedicated to lice Sick? Do all non-BSS hair come with its own set of lice concerns?
  It's there because when you buy real virgin hair, it is not processed. The hair is just cut from the donor's scalp and then sent to the factory to get cleaned. There are US regulations that requires the hair to be fumigated before being imported into the country. Sometimes the pesticide (or whatever they use gets everything) and sometimes you get left with the nit shells. Not all purchases are like that, if you buy processed hair, you'll probably not encounter these issues because most of the time the hair is process for patterns and even texture (ie; Most Alibaba/Aliexpress vendors).

-When you buy hair from a vendor, does it come with the track already there or is it just a hair bunch without nothing to attach it to the scalp? (Hope that makes sense, i'm talking about the band that keeps the track together and that you sew on or glue, versus loose strands of hair)
 There's usually an option of buying it already wefted or in bulk (loose hair).

I know it's a lot of questions but I've been reading quite a few threads and the info is all over and unclear to me. I hope yall can clarify this for me, I'd appreciate it!

HTHs.

Edited by Kocoa - Nov 16 2012 at 7:42am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 11:05am

@Kocoa: Thank you so much! This clarifies a lot! I was reading through threads getting a headache and not making sense of anything. It'll be a lot easier to take in the information from now on. I'm bookmarking this.

I will search for You Tube videos to see exactly how to seal and cut a weft, and to see what the closure piece looks like. I can't quite visualize it but at least now I understand what it means.

I have 4 more questions, if you don't mind. The rest I can deduce from threads already made

- About the U-part wig: How do you get to your scalp to wash it if the hair is sewn on a cap that is installed on your hair? Doesn't this make it impossible to rub your scalp gently?

- does anyone have a picture of a closure (the actual piece, before it goes on your head)? I've tried to search for it on the net but I only get the finished result and I can't visualize it.

- Is processed hair a better choice than virgin hair (considering the lice issues) or is there a reason/advantage that  people will insist on buying it all the way virgin? Why would one bother?

-So when you buy the hair in bulk, is it for the customer/hairstylist to create a weft out of it or is it meant for people who use the fusion method only (or any method with glue)?

Again, thanks! You're an angel! I guess I will have to buy all my stuff in the U.S. through the internet because we don't have much in terms of choice out here.   I'm scared of customs fees, though :(

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Nov 16 2012 at 11:06am
beebeexx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beebeexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 1:14pm

@Kocoa: Thank you so much! This clarifies a lot! I was reading through threads getting a headache and not making sense of anything. It'll be a lot easier to take in the information from now on. I'm bookmarking this.

I will search for You Tube videos to see exactly how to seal and cut a weft, and to see what the closure piece looks like. I can't quite visualize it but at least now I understand what it means.

I have 4 more questions, if you don't mind. The rest I can deduce from threads already made

- About the U-part wig: How do you get to your scalp to wash it if the hair is sewn on a cap that is installed on your hair? Doesn't this make it impossible to rub your scalp gently?

- does anyone have a picture of a closure (the actual piece, before it goes on your head)? I've tried to search for it on the net but I only get the finished result and I can't visualize it.

- Is processed hair a better choice than virgin hair (considering the lice issues) or is there a reason/advantage that  people will insist on buying it all the way virgin? Why would one bother?

-So when you buy the hair in bulk, is it for the customer/hairstylist to create a weft out of it or is it meant for people who use the fusion method only (or any method with glue)?

Again, thanks! You're an angel! I guess I will have to buy all my stuff in the U.S. through the internet because we don't have much in terms of choice out here.   I'm scared of customs fees, though :(

1. Uparts don't necessarily need to be seen down. the "point" of them is that they are easily removable and you have complete access to your scalp.
2. https://www.google.com/search?q=lace+closure&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oo6mUMGfNsbd0QG054H4Cw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=356&sei=4Y6mUIugJoHN0AHT4YCYAQ#p=0 << there's a few that show up on the first page there
3. Virginia hair is supposed to last longer than processed. I have some aliexpress hair that I can see lasting me another 2 installs/6+ months at least... which is good enough for me.
4. people typically get bulk hair so that they can hve it wefts themselves. the better and stronger the weft the less shedding you will have. stylists typically don't do any wefting. there's a guy, Sam that a lot of ladies send their hair to e wefts.

I have yet to pay any type of customs fee ordering from aliexpress. There are reputable American vendors though but you will be paying significantly more.
esha wants hair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote esha wants hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 1:55pm
Damn @Kocoa You are amazing! Thanks for the info
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by beebeexx beebeexx wrote:

1. Uparts don't necessarily need to be seen down. the "point" of them is that they are easily removable and you have complete access to your scalp.
  Beebeexx is right, you could attach some wig combs (or wig clips - although I've read that the clips can cause some breakage) around in the cap and just put it on and take it off every day. It also depends on how the cap is made, I've seen some made on wig caps that are completely mesh; so if you had the wig sewn in, I could imagine it would be almost the same as washing your hair under a net sew-in (basically, you'll an applicator bottle w/ diluted shampoo).

On YT, check out Thomasadrianna and Teasedblackpearlz. I love their u-parts.

2. https://www.google.com/search?q=lace+closure&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oo6mUMGfNsbd0QG054H4Cw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=356&sei=4Y6mUIugJoHN0AHT4YCYAQ#p=0 << there's a few that show up on the first page there

3. Virginia hair is supposed to last longer than processed. I have some aliexpress hair that I can see lasting me another 2 installs/6+ months at least... which is good enough for me.
   Virgin hair is the best - period. Some ppl have hair in their stashes for yrs (I know there's a Wagman's thread around somewhere.... - I can't speak for their quality currently though). With that type of potential, ppl literally will spend like $600 - $1000.

4. people typically get bulk hair so that they can hve it wefts themselves. the better and stronger the weft the less shedding you will have. stylists typically don't do any wefting. there's a guy, Sam that a lot of ladies send their hair to e wefts.
   Sam's the man on the west coast (CA, iirc) when you wanna get your hair wefted. There's also Pat on the east coast (GA). I think Pat's got the better reputation atm though. I've been reading complaints on Sam losing too much hair when you send it to be wefted.

I have yet to pay any type of customs fee ordering from aliexpress. There are reputable American vendors though but you will be paying significantly more.
I wouldn't worry about customs unless you're a business importing kilos and kilos of hair. I'm in Australia so we get to worry about customs if we import items valued at $1000 and over (it sucks).
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 7:55pm
Kocoa and Beebex: Thanks for the update! It's helpful!

1)  However, if U part weaves are completely removable, I don't understand the difference between that and a wig as in both cases, the hair is installed onto a net? And if it's sewn in and it's a mesh cap, I still don't see how you can rub your scalp effectively, as the cap is a barrier to your scalp? Would that be a good method for people with dandruff issues? It seems to me like trying to wash your scalp with an ordinary wig on your head. Wouldn't the rubbing, however gentle, rip up the mesh cap? I don't get it...

2)  You mentioned Pat and Sam for wefting virgin bulk hair. Where can I get their contact info?

3) One more thing regarding virgin hair. Since there is a possible lice issue, would it be safe to use those anti lice shampos the sell at the drugstore? Or will it damage the look of the hair?

4)  Does Aliexprses not include a bill in the packages they sent? Do they make it look like personal mail? Because everytime I've bought something through the Internet in the US, Canadian customs would bill me outrageously. Just a few weeks ago, I ordered 2 wigs for about 100$ and customs charged me 50$! And that's on top of shipping fees. Can you ask them to send the goods in a regular old package that does not suggest commercial activity?

Thanks ladies!

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Nov 17 2012 at 8:18pm
Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 4:58am

Kocoa and Beebex: Thanks for the update! It's helpful!

1)  However, if U part weaves are completely removable, I don't understand the difference between that and a wig as in both cases, the hair is installed onto a net? And if it's sewn in and it's a mesh cap, I still don't see how you can rub your scalp effectively, as the cap is a barrier to your scalp? Would that be a good method for people with dandruff issues? It seems to me like trying to wash your scalp with an ordinary wig on your head. Wouldn't the rubbing, however gentle, rip up the mesh cap? I don't get it...

Well, the u parts are essentially 3/4th wigs. I don't own one yet but they're a great alternative to getting a sew-in because you can get to your natural hair w/o having to go all in between the tracks everyone minute to do something. The wefts can be sewn onto different types of caps. There's the traditional lace wig caps, the (japanese) mesh caps, and even the plain old dome caps you could get in a BSS. If you're in a mesh cap, you could still moisturize and wash your hair but you'd have to use an applicator bottle to avoid damaging the net. Just keep looking at the vids on YT, there's so many gurus out there w/ all types of methods.

2)  You mentioned Pat and Sam for wefting virgin bulk hair. Where can I get their contact info?

Okay, iirc Sam is in Cali, I think this is his number: (818)605-8433 -- someone correct me if I'm wrong.
     Pat's Hair Wefting is in is GA -
(770)667-2017.
     She's on FB too if you wanna see pics of her work. http://www.facebook.com/patshair.wefting
     There are probably other wefters out there but these 2 are the best known (to my knowledge).

3) One more thing regarding virgin hair. Since there is a possible lice issue, would it be safe to use those anti lice shampos the sell at the drugstore? Or will it damage the look of the hair?

Good question: I absolutely have no clue when it comes to lice shampoos. When I get extensions, I tend to stay away from the harsher shampoos (unless I go swimming). I would have to see if it contained sulfates first since they're known to dry out hair and that can lead to breakage. I probably wouldn't go that route since (being natural) I usually have AVC and EVOO in the house.

4)  Does Aliexprses not include a bill in the packages they sent? Do they make it look like personal mail? Because everytime I've bought something through the Internet in the US, Canadian customs would bill me outrageously. Just a few weeks ago, I ordered 2 wigs for about 100$ and customs charged me 50$! And that's on top of shipping fees. Can you ask them to send the goods in a regular old package that does not suggest commercial activity?

TBH, I can't answer this one. When I lived in the states, all I ever bought was BSS. Whenever I got items from Alibaba, I always had a copy of the invoice in it and it pretty much came via DHL all the time. Being in Australia, we'd only get hit w/ GST if the item was like $1000 and over. You'd have to talk to your vendor about how they'd package it and if there's any alternatives. I wouldn't be surprised if they indeed have contracts with these couriers.

Thanks ladies!

Edited by Kocoa - Nov 18 2012 at 4:59am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 10:09am
Thank you so much, Kocoa! Precious information! I appreciate it!
Elegantmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elegantmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 2:36am
thank you for those useful information. i also use hair weave.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply