Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Make tangle prone units wearable...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
I<3Suomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I<3Suomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make tangle prone units wearable...
    Posted: Mar 09 2013 at 10:35pm
I just wanted to share this with you ladies in case if anyone else has ever had this problem...my last two (overpriced) units had some tangling and matting...the kind that feels like it's crawling up your neck...the kind of tangles that get worse the more you move lol...I'm too chicken to bleach bath because these two units in particular are processed for color and texture and I just don't want to risk screwing it up and having bald spots...any who my weekly temporary fix (that makes the unit wearable and workable for 5-7 data at a time...I clip the split ends using the twirl method as well as clipping the ends a little (I only had to do this once on one unit and once a week in the other    ) I use a split end shampoo & conditioners when washing them as well as a leave in split end serum after shampoo/conditioning & voila a unit that felt like a waste of money or disappointment is now workable until my next weekly wash....I hope this helps someone else out there
Sponsored Links

ShiznitNumber1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ShiznitNumber1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2013 at 4:21pm
Thanks for this!

I do however think there may be a better solution because if you keep cutting eventually you will end up with a cropped monk style wig that managed to tangled itself into a nest though being so short lol
I suggested this in another posting. Steam the hair!

Put some oil into the water and steam the hair with your Facial Steamer, Hair Steamer or create steam by boiling water on the cooker. I have been under the impression that this helps moisturise the hair.

Why:
1) The steam opens the cuticle + enters the hair to put some moisture inside
2) Oils are lighter than water, in theory that  should mean steam could carry some oil? Perhaps?

I have a relaxed Brazilian remy wig (sold to me as virgin deep curly), it was no way virgin and like most of the wigs i own the hair is NOT cuticle aligned despite being an expensive REMY Full lace wig or Lace front wig.

Lastly, seal the moisture into the hair as you would with your natural hair. I use a regular hair oil to do this after washing but yesterday used a SofnFree curl moisturiser spray which had an oil which was DRY so it sealed the moisture  into the hair but did not leave that greasy look that regular oils leave.

Watched a video from the SofnFree people, they sprayed the oil onto their brush of choice and brushed the hair as normal. It gave better coverage and enabled the oils to be distributed better.

Im no hairdresser or super experienced with wigs. This just works for me and this DIY brazilian remy + random pack hair LFW that I have. Sharing my two cents.

Good luck with your wig and god bless,
ShiznitNumber#1
I<3Suomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I<3Suomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 6:42pm
Yes common sense definitely has to come into play when tripping split ends vs actually tripping ends lol I forgot some people might actually think I mean trimming their unit into a toupe' lol I've come to find the oil worked better on my Chinese unit than my Indian unit, I've now found the perfect concoction of leave in conditioners for my Indian unit and have avoided trimming all together. Super happy!
Aphelion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aphelion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2013 at 4:13pm
I use argan oil and morroccon oil shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes I put oil on and wrap it in a hot towel. But while it feels better it wont ever go back to normal because ive used heat on it almost every day for about 6 months now =( I cut the layers too short so its reslly thick at the top and straggly at the bottom and only looks good curled. Wont be making the nistake of cutting my own wig again!
sexibeach View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 11:20am
no all you need to is do a ACV rinse after you wash and b4 conditioning.. 
sighiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sighiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2013 at 10:06am
My old hairdresser has hair that does not like any product, its a curly look from some local seller here, it tangles when she uses the water and condish mix. And she is convinced its virgin hair... what do I tell her?

iluvmihair View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmihair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 4:46am
Originally posted by sighiz sighiz wrote:

My old hairdresser has hair that does not like any product, its a curly look from some local seller here, it tangles when she uses the water and condish mix. And she is convinced its virgin hair... what do I tell her?

You tell her that it's not Virgin hair. And let that be the last thing you tell her lol. LOL

elisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

no all you need to is do a ACV rinse after you wash and b4 conditioning.. 

^This. Also after your ACV rinse you can condition your unit with Silicon Mix, seal it in a baggie, steam or what I like to do is use my heating cap for 20 minutes. The above poster idea sounds great. I may even try that next time Wink
kitkatkitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitkatkitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 11:20am

One thing I like to do with my tangled wigs is to wash with sulfate free shampoo, (I recommend cream of nature) and then use a deep conditioner like aussie 3 minute miracle, leaving the conditioner on over night. I keep it in a baggie so it stays moist and then rinse in the morning.

With a lot of wigs, the tangling starts when the silicone hair coat wears off. It's important to keep that hair coat from getting washed off with sulfates and to use conditioners with silicones or oils that allow the hair strands to slide across eachother.
bg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2013 at 11:16am
Originally posted by ShiznitNumber1 ShiznitNumber1 wrote:

Thanks for this!

I do however think there may be a better solution because if you keep cutting eventually you will end up with a cropped monk style wig that managed to tangled itself into a nest though being so short lol
I suggested this in another posting. Steam the hair!

Put some oil into the water and steam the hair with your Facial Steamer, Hair Steamer or create steam by boiling water on the cooker. I have been under the impression that this helps moisturise the hair.

Why:
1) The steam opens the cuticle + enters the hair to put some moisture inside
2) Oils are lighter than water, in theory that  should mean steam could carry some oil? Perhaps?

I have a relaxed Brazilian remy wig (sold to me as virgin deep curly), it was no way virgin and like most of the wigs i own the hair is NOT cuticle aligned despite being an expensive REMY Full lace wig or Lace front wig.

Lastly, seal the moisture into the hair as you would with your natural hair. I use a regular hair oil to do this after washing but yesterday used a SofnFree curl moisturiser spray which had an oil which was DRY so it sealed the moisture  into the hair but did not leave that greasy look that regular oils leave.

Watched a video from the SofnFree people, they sprayed the oil onto their brush of choice and brushed the hair as normal. It gave better coverage and enabled the oils to be distributed better.

Im no hairdresser or super experienced with wigs. This just works for me and this DIY brazilian remy + random pack hair LFW that I have. Sharing my two cents.

Good luck with your wig and god bless,
ShiznitNumber#1

Great tips, thanks! Thumbs Up
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake