Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Majority of Americans Support ACA Birth Control...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Majority of Americans Support ACA Birth Control...

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JasmineE02 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Majority of Americans Support ACA Birth Control...
    Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 11:59am

Majority of Americans Support Obamacare Birth Control Provision: Survey

TUESDAY, April 22, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Nearly 70 percent of Americans support the new health care law's mandated coverage of birth control, a nationwide study finds.

University of Michigan researchers surveyed adults in all 50 states and the District of Columbia about universal coverage for birth control, which is being challenged in the U.S. Supreme Court.

"There is an ongoing national debate about contraceptive coverage requirements in private health plans in the U.S.," study author Dr. Michelle Moniz, an obstetrician/gynecologist and researcher at the University of Michigan Medical School, said in a university news release.

"Our study found that 69 percent of U.S. adults support requiring coverage of birth control in health plans. This indicates that the majority view in the United States is that coverage for contraceptives should be required," she added.

The greatest support for this provision of the Affordable Care Act comes from women, blacks, Hispanics, adults with private or public insurance, and parents with children younger than 18 at home, according to the study, published April 22 in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

The researchers also asked survey participants their feelings about mandated coverage of other medical services. There were high levels of support for mandated coverage for mammograms and colonoscopies (85 percent), vaccinations (84 percent), screening tests for diabetes and high cholesterol (82 percent), mental health care (77 percent) and dental care (75 percent).

Less than 10 percent of respondents supported mandated coverage for all services except birth control. This group included a high percentage of men, people older than 60, and those without children in the home.

"In this study, women, blacks, and Hispanics were more likely to support coverage of birth control medications than were men, older individuals and adults without children in the home. In other words, support is higher among individuals who may be more likely to directly benefit from affordable birth control," said Moniz, a member of the university's Institute for Healthcare Policy and Innovation.

"This isn't only a women's health issue. It's an issue that is just as important to families and communities," she added. "Our findings suggest that a policy requiring all health insurance plans to cover birth control medications is consistent with the beliefs of the majority of Americans."

The Supreme Court is considering the arguments of business owners who say their religious beliefs protect them from a requirement in the new health care law that health insurance plans cover all forms of contraceptives.

-- Robert Preidt

MedicalNews
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

SOURCE: University of Michigan, news release, April 22, 2014

Sponsored Links

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:27pm
White men are afraid of losing their status and prefer to keep women and minorities subordinate to themselves. The best way to do that is to keep us occupied with basic survival like food and shelter which is magnified the more mouths you have to feed.
I don't buy the whole religious objections at all. It is a way to protect white male patriarchy plain and simple.
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:30pm
I'm confused. So every woman has BC on her plan automatically or can you opt out and pay less?
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:40pm
As far as I know, like other insurance services, it's covered with no extra charge. You can't opt out and pay less.

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-are-my-birth-control-benefits/
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:42pm
Okay, thanks.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:43pm
Most insurances don't have an opt out option for things you don't use.  You can just pick a less expensive option with fewer things covered.  The ACA requires that certain things be covered though.  I'm paying for prostate exams that I don't need too. LOL
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

I'm confused. So every woman has BC on her plan automatically or can you opt out and pay less?

No it just means birth control would be covered just like any other drug. I don't take any drugs but I still have prescription drug benefits that I pay for.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 12:46pm
It also covers preventative healthcare visits for women with no extras charge too which is great.

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-are-my-preventive-care-benefits/#part=2

Lemme hush.Embarrassed
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:29pm
Clap Love it.

Is that Viagara covered?  I'm still mad those bastards never complained about that and never had "religious concerns" about it.  Jesus aint said nothing about boners.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasmineE02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2014 at 2:40pm
I do know we spent a good deal of medicare money on penis pumps.  I'm okay with that as long as people stop getting huffy about birth control.  LOL  
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic