Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Major Help!!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Bootiful Cream

Author
NaturallyLovinZena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturallyLovinZena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major Help!!!
    Posted: Mar 19 2014 at 7:58pm
To know me now no my past quick an easy 14 lye relaxer breakage from over lapping no lye relaxer 16 wave neavou breakage from tryin to straighten it between those years lots of weave hair cuts 20 bleached an relaxed august of last year wokr up an chopped my hair off making me natural now i wash with a sulfate shampoo after pree pooin with virgin coconut oil and i condition with suave organics tropical coconut conditioner and twist my wet gair with coconut oil and moisturizer so can anyone help me understand why my natural hair is breakong i am gentle n use wide tooth comb n wear my satin scarf and bonnet an take 6 1,000 mcg biotin pills daily an still my natural hair is dry strawlike brittle
Sponsored Links

littlebabybug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 4:24pm
i swear i'm not trying to be mean but, a point of critique: punctuation. It's not superfluous; it just makes things easier to read.

how often do you (detangle) your hair? do you detangle as gently as you can?
how do you style it and at what frequency (you mention twists but you don't mention how long you keep them in and how often you install them, how consistent you are about it)
how often do you cleanse your hair?
How much breakage (an estimate) do you get and is this every time you touch your hair or is it only when you do certain things, like detangle it? this helps narrow down the causes, letting you know if it's purely mechanical or if it has to do with the structural integrity of your hair. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturallyLovinZena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2014 at 4:36pm
Thank you maybe i should have been a little more detailed i wash my hair once a week with a sulfaye shampoo conditioned everytime i notice breakage after i wet my hair n detangle i detangle only on wash days an since im in the twa or in between stages my two strand twist with my natural hair only lasts three days with moisturizing and then i gently take them out detangle with my fingers an plait my coarse hair but i did a protein treatment an cut my hair 3-5 inches overall an had my dearest mom braid my hair an i switch my regimen up quite a bit no more two strand twist only cornrows n now im switching to cowashing every two tweeks moisturizing an having my hair braided an afterwards my maintence will consist of oiling my scalp with sunflower an coconut oil and sealing all the moisture in with mango softee to help with moisture retention

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 4:58pm
it's a little odd that you would have breakage issues given that your hair is 3-5 inches; usually breakage doesn't kick in until you're dealing with shoulder length tresses or longer. 
which leads me to wonder how gentle are you when you detangle? You describe your hair as coarse, but are you referring to your strands being bigger than average or do you mean coarse in terms of feel (hair feels rough or abrasive to the touch) because if it's the latter, that can be remedied through moisture and finding the right products (or if your hair's like mine, then using less)

the other thing is i would wonder if your breakage might be more your perception of your hair breaking. what i mean by that is that your hair is not breaking any more than what is normal and can be expected for kinky coily/curly hair types, but that because we want to eliminate all of it we feel like we're not doing right by our hair when really we're doing the best we can do. we over think it and over exaggerate the damage factor. if you're only breaking about 10 or so strands (how many would you say you're losing to just breakage?) and you only detangle your hair on wash days with a sulfate shampoo, then that's really not a bad trade-off and i'd say you're doing a great job! 

But if your breakage is worse than this, there are a few explanations:
1) Your hair doesn't care for wet detangling and would prefer dry oil detangling instead
2) your shampoo is roughening your hair, increasing its susceptibility to breakage
3) your hair is not adequately detangled prior to washing it, so washing it in a tangled state only exacerbates the issue
4) you're not being gentle/patient enough with your hair when you detangle (not sure if you finger detangle or not but i recommend it if you don't already do it, because it's much more gentle than using a comb once you get used to it)

i think number four is the most likely choice, since everything else in your routine sounds solid. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 5:02pm
I'm sorry, i overlooked where you said you detangle  using your fingers. Pinch
I think finger detangling and putting your hair away is a good way to go! 
i say don't stress it unless, like i said, your breakage is insane or it's way more than what's normal (normal being anywhere from 1 to 7 strands broken a day, which will also depend on how dense your hair is.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturallyLovinZena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 5:03pm
No my hair is nape length i just cut off 3-4 inches an thank u i will take all of this in mind prior to my next wash day

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 5:09pm
girl nape length? I'm over here thinkin you're describing a TWA lol 3-5 inches for some heads is TWA. but okay! 
then that's understandable. what i did to get past nape (my hair's almost APL now) was basically just wash my hair about twice a week (cowashes mainly. shampoo maybe once every other week or so) and style in twistouts and WNGs. i'm an out-style kinda girl. your regimen seems to consist more so of protective styles. i think it's really just a matter of time, honestly. since you just got a hair cut it's not like you'd be able to see in terms of length whether or not your regimen is working, and as you mentioned, it's still undergoing tweaks. so definitely let me know what happens with it and i recommend keeping picture progress because it's very easy to think you could be doing more for your hair when sometimes, most times, the best you can do for it is put it away, keep doing what you've been doing, and forget about it. hair thrives and grows when we're not paying it any attention, provided your basics center around reducing damage potential. 
one last thing i forgot to ask is whether or not you ever use heat? sometimes if you get more breakage than usual it can be the residual effects of heat use. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturallyLovinZena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 5:17pm
Thank u for all the encouragement about 6 times i used heat an 4 out those 6 times was blow dry an flat iron an i realized now that i am just better off letting my hair air dry an in the future i will leave it up to the professionals im sticking with what i know and your haor is sbsolutely gorgeous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlebabybug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 5:50pm
Oh it's no problem and thank you Embarrassed
my hair and i have had a long, arduous and bumpy road but i think we've finally reached an understanding, she and i lol
i concur that airdrying is best. But don't be afraid to use heat on occasion, just take the right precautions when you do Thumbs Up
good luck with figuring out your mane! 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply