Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedMaintaining Weave Tips!

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
SuiGenerisA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maintaining Weave Tips!
    Posted: Jul 31 2010 at 4:35pm
(Kinda long but please read. May help you!) r

Hey ladies.

So a couple months ago I was worrying about how I'd get my weave done and whether it was worth the money because every time I get it done it matts up really quickly. Granted, I wasn't buying quality hair but as a college student, I don't have the funds, time or energy to seek a vendor and start breaking major bread!

In March I purchased one bag of Bohyme (90$) straight hair (gray packaging) and got it installed the second week of April. I got it done for a special event on April 24th and was scared to wash it, for fear of my edges not being "layed" anymore and me not being able to blend my real hair and weave. ( My braid pattern was very simple. 3 rows in the back, 2 weft pieces per track and the front of my hair was blowed dried and flat ironed for blending)

After my special event night, my hair was sweated out, nappy on it's edges and my weave def. needed more care when combing out. I washed it the night after, let it air dry and flat ironed it. It came out nice, not as smooth and straight as my first install though. By June my weave was parched and no longer felt good. I thought I probably got my use out of it and I had NG like crazy. I had a 2 week grace period of my real hair and then by 4th of July weekend I got my hair reinstalled...using the same "parched" and dry hair!

I HAD NO MONEY TO PURCHASE NEW HAIR AND NEEDED SOMETHING QUICK.

Because my old install had only 3 braids in the back, I still had atleast half a bag of hair left so I used that for my install. My stylist put the never used hair in the back and used all my old hair in the front and gave me 4 braids instead of 3. She double wefted each braid and left a row of hair out in between each braid as well. She then washed my hair! (With my weave just installed.) Gave me a rollerset and I was done!

My hair was bouncy, curly, smooth and straight. It was amazing. My old hair that I had for about 3 months and was washing weekly had been REVIVED. It's almost august now my hair is still amazing. I've been washing every weekend and using CANTU SHEA BUTTER and Jojoba Oil from Whole Foods as a sealant. I have also started using Aphogee Shampoo and Silicon Mix/Pantene Pro V condish.

I DON'T WRAP MY HAIR! I instead do pin curls to keep a little bounce. When my hair was fresh out of the rollerset, I would use about 15 pins. Now that the curls have fallen, I wash my hair, air dry it and then flat iron it and use about 4 pins to accentuate the layers. I've only flat ironed my hair twice since I've gotten it done, otherwise I would pincurl it in it's dried wavy pattern.

The products you use to your hair really change the property of it! I have NO complaints about the ones I've used. My hair is soft and manageable and looks really good still. If anyone wants pictures let me know. I know this is really long but I just wanted to show the difference between caring for your weave. I can type forever so please post your questions or w/e on hair ;-) (pun intended). GOOD LUCK LADIES!
Sponsored Links

Melialy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2010 at 5:51pm
Hey!

I would LOVE to see some pics!! I'm always struggling with weave maintenance. I wash my hair (with the weave in) every 7-10 days, but I can never fully restore it to its original quality. What is your washing regimen??

Also, this may be a dumb question, but what exactly are pin curls??? I always wrap my hair at night and it comes out nice- but after doing it night after night it starts to look crushed and flat. Any new alternative would be nice!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2010 at 11:13pm
Yes, I was experiencing the same thing after wrapping my hair. Or it would not blend well with my real hair and the weave.

Pins curls are when you take a section of your hair, roll it up from the end to the root in a circle motion and take a bobby pin or a clip to hold your circle hair flat on your head. So that when you wake up, you don't have to worry about that wrap hairlined look, and your hair has a little more bounce to it.

I'm gonna figure out how to send pictures in a sec!
Alram View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2010 at 7:47am

Definitely want to see the pics!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2010 at 12:49am
Would love to share pics, but I really don't know how to setup a picture browser thing. If you PM me your e-mail I can send you my pictures.

Unless someone wants to show me how to attach a picture on here!
cherieAMOUR* View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2010 at 2:55pm
I've been hearing about this Cantu Shea Butter. What exactly do you use? The Shampoo, Condish, Leave-in? Does it really make the weave soft and managable? I saw it in walmart, very cheap too..

Edited by cherieAMOUR* - Aug 03 2010 at 2:56pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2010 at 9:58pm
Yes! It's a very moisturizing and strengthing detangler. I use it in my weave and apply it to my new growth often. It smells amazing and really softens up your hair. I use the leave in conditioning repair cream. If you see it for cheap, snag it!
Melialy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 8:37pm
I use the Shea Butter too, it makes my hair feel soo soft and it smells amazingggggg.

Side note: how on earth do you post pics?!?
ms*ANGie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2010 at 1:17am
someone needs to make a topic strictly to teach us how to post pics...
Alex Urameshi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2010 at 10:40am
well i'm not sure how to post pics using the site, however i use tinypic.com to upload pics and i just post the pics in my reply. Then u preview the message to make sure the pics show up.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic