Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
Xandra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maintaining cornrows
    Posted: May 24 2005 at 8:08am

Ladies, I'm 7 weeks post relaxer and want to start wearing cornrows to extend my next retouch to 12 weeks or longer. Can anyone give any advise about maintaining my hair while in cornrows. What kind of products do you use to keep your hair in healthy condition while wearing cornrows (extensions)? Plus, will it harm my relaxed hair if I use this method to extend my relaxer retouches? I'm not very familiar with braids and cornrows, so any advise will be helpfull.

Sponsored Links

carameldiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 12:30pm
Well, I'm natural and i have cornrows with extensions currently. But i make sure to moisturize daily with either castor oil or mowrah butter. I co wash once a week and shampoo/condition once a week as week. I tie my hair up at nite with a satin scarf and sleep with satin pillow cases on my pillows. HTH.
Xandra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 6:56am
Thanx for the info. I still have a few questions. How exactly do you CO wash cornrows? Do you dilute the conditioner? Doesn't your hair gets all frizzy after washing it? And how long do your cornrows last?
ThAbAdDeStBaBy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 6:54pm

Originally posted by Xandra Xandra wrote:

Thanx for the info. I still have a few questions. How exactly do you CO wash cornrows? Do you dilute the conditioner? Doesn't your hair gets all frizzy after washing it? And how long do your cornrows last?

For the CO washes yeah you dilute the conditioner w/water. To prevent the frizziness after washing you can tie your cornrows up with a satin/silk scarf. That should help with keeping the cornrows fresh looking. They can last, depending on the person, up to a month before having to get them retouched/redone. (Some ppl go longer though) I hope this helps.

weaveitup^_^ View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 6:59pm
i use black n sassy caribbean creme on the braids, and witch hazel/seabreeze on my scalp with a cotton ball.
StrwBrryMlkShk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 9:14pm
when you use the witch hazel or seabreeze on ur scalp, is this right before a wash or just when ever you have itching?
weaveitup^_^ View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 3:01am

i use it as a scalp wash. whenever it itches(or once a week) i would run thecotton ball over my scalp to remove all of the dirt, sweat, and ickyness. it works pretty well. you can see it on the cotton ball though

but i only do this for cornrows i plan to wear as cornrows...not cornrows i use for foundation of my weave

Jewell View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 11:35am

I currently have cornrows with extensions (so that they will stay neater and last longer), and I shampoo and condition my cornrows twice a week, which is what I do to my hair when it isn't braided also. All I do is put some shampoo and water in a spray bottle, wet my braids in the shower, spray on the mixture, lightly massage my scalp in between the braids to loosen any product buildup and oils.

Then I let it sit on my braids for a little bit in the shower to dissolve any product residue/oils. I rinse it out. Then I will do the same with conditioner and water in a spray bottle. I spray it on, let it sit, and rinse it out. I wrap a towel around my head, and spray a mixture of S-Curl and EVOO on my braids. I will usually tie it down for a little while just to flatten the frizzies, but after that I just let them airdry. In between washes, I spray on braid spray at night before bed. My braids stay fresh, neat and moisturized. I would hate for my hair to feel like a brillo pad when I take my braids out!

Xandra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2005 at 6:31am

Jewell, your tips are very helpfull. I do have some other questions though:

* How long does it take for your braids to dry completely?

* Which conditioner do you use, moisturizing, protein, instant?

* Do you deep condition with heat?

* How long do you keep your extensions in before you rebraid them.

I think you have a wonderfull Shampoo/conditioning technique, I'm eager to try it. I had my hair braided with extensions last saturday for the first time. I'm 8 weeks post relaxer now and aiming to reach my hair goal by the end of august. My friend who braided my hair says it will last me 3 weeks, but I will have to see that first.

Beyondcute View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2005 at 5:37pm
Yes the witch hazel/ cottonball thing works VERY WELL! I recommend that. I did that with my cornrows. The tighter the space the smaller the ball (baby cottonballs or qtips work well in these cases.) 
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic