FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLye or NO Lye?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
lovelybrown View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2007 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by CopperDreamer CopperDreamer wrote:

I would like to know how over time no lye makes calcium deposits throughout the hair. 

Isn't it appled to new growth only every time?  I'm just not getting how it would continuously add calcium to the whole hair shaft over time.  Although I've heard it over and over... an explanation would be nice lol Smile 

And doesn't the neutralizer pretty much strip the relaxer ( possibly some or all of the calcium as well) out of the hair during the neutralizing process?

I don't know exactly, but I read one of the foktis of an old member and she has butt-length hair using a no lye perm (I think). One of the things that she stressed in her journals was that she washed her hair out at least 7 times. She did not believe that 2 times was enough. I think most people - including myself only washed twice or three times..

The other thing that I think contributes to the build up is the hardness of water in your area.
Sponsored Links

Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2007 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by brownsugarlady brownsugarlady wrote:

Originally posted by Claudie Claudie wrote:

IMO, it is not a myth, that lye relaxer are better for the hair. No-Lye relaxers are the worse relaxers to use.  In most cases no-lye underprocess hair, and robs hair of moisture, more so than lye relaxers.  No-lye makes the hair, hard and brittle.  Also no-lye relaxers, tends not to burn as fast as a lye relaxer.  Some No-lye relaxers are higher on the PH scale than lye relaxers.  No-lye relaxers contains two main ingredients, Cabnate and Calcium Hydroxide.  These two chemicals forms Guanidine Hydroxide, which the PH can run from 10-14.  There are no-lye relaxers formulated with Lithium and Potassium Hydroxide.  There are also no-lye relaxers formulated with Tetramethy and Ammonium Bisulfate  The chemical ingredients in no-lye relaxers, are just like using Ammonium Thioglycate.  Which has a high alkaline content, that is why the hair will be robbed of moisture, and becomes porousm and cause excess shedding, and also will be grainy.  

Sodum Hydroxide is the main ingredient in lye relaxers.  Although harder on the scalp, it is better for the hair in the long run.  If one wants to maintain healthy hair using a no-lye relaxer, they better keep it moisturized.  Keep a bottle of that Jherri Curl juice close by, at all times. IMO, a lye relaxer is better, than a no-lye relaxer, any given day.

I've been lurking a long time and I love the nearly all of the advice you give. You have so much knowledge and seem to have a genuine desire to share and help. Unlike many advisors, you seem to have firsthand experience too! You rock Ms Claudie Clap

I am so sorry Brownsugarlady, I very seldom get over in this section.  I think I will be in this section more LOL.  I am working on an article about relaxers, neutralizing, and if all goes well, I intend to share it in a week or so.  I thank you so very much for your kindness, I try LOL.  I have been doing this since 1975, and I thank everyone, who took the time to impart their knowledge with me.  Therefore, I do enjoy sharing, what I have learned throughout the years.  Happy Hair Growing Big%20smile.

Edited by Claudie - Jun 06 2007 at 11:00pm
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2007 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by CopperDreamer CopperDreamer wrote:

I would like to know how over time no lye makes calcium deposits throughout the hair. 

Isn't it appled to new growth only every time?  I'm just not getting how it would continuously add calcium to the whole hair shaft over time.  Although I've heard it over and over... an explanation would be nice lol Smile 

And doesn't the neutralizer pretty much strip the relaxer ( possibly some or all of the calcium as well) out of the hair during the neutralizing process?

Hey CopperDreamer, very good question.  Although the relaxer is applied to the new growth only. Some calcium deposits will adhere to the hairshaft, during the process of the relaxer been rinsed from the hair.  Yes, it is reasonable to believe, that the neutralizing shampoo, should be able to address this.  Also, with a virgin relaxer, calcium deposits can also be on the entire length of the hair, in some cases.  However, the function of a neutralizing shampoo, is to stop the chemical reaction, and return the hair to the proper PH.  ORS uplifting is good for removing calcium deposits, chelating shampoo will also, also some other brands of shampoos on the market.

Edited by Claudie - Jun 06 2007 at 11:08pm
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2007 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by brownsugarlady brownsugarlady wrote:

I forgot to add, I also concur with Ms Claudie, I have used no lye for years and in the beginning they worked well, that was because my hair was long, strong and healthy. But over time they weakened my hair and it appeared underprocessed although in fact it was overprocessed. Also, I had the horrid calcium hydroxide build up too and my hair appeared dusty and would not retain moisture.

I have been growing my last no/lye perm out for a year and I hope that I have a different experience with a conditioning lye perm.  I also noted that my girlfriends with healthy looking shiny hair used lye perms with the exception of a couple who have used the ORS no lye.

One last thing, I have seen some foktis with ladies who have lovely hair and they use no lye relaxers, so I am aware that I am generalising and no lye can work for some ladies.

Brown, I concur with you, about seeing ladies with fabulous hair, and their relaxer of choice is no lye.  IMO, as with anything, some people do have success with a product, more so than others.  I know for me, I could not dare use a NO-Lye, although I do take proper care of my hair.  Yes, I agree that No-Lye has been good to some ladies.  I think in the overall scheme of things, once the calcium deposit is removed from the hair.  It will provide, for better penetration of conditioners. Also, ladies are becoming so more knowledgeable, about taking care of their hair. The key to using a No-Lye relaxer with sucess IMO, is keeping the hair moisturized at all times.  Also making sure, that there is a balance of protein and moisture.
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2007 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Nichole21 Nichole21 wrote:

I think there are some wonderful opinions in this thread.  And as 1 person to 10 others, I can only offer my humble opinion and personal experience! 

I use a no-lye relaxers and I have not experienced most of the descriptions provided hearin this topic.  My hair is soft and moisturized.  I also dont think I experince any more breakage than anyone else.  My whole head is relaxed with no-lye.  I have used no-lye relaxers for over 15 years and have not experienced any side effects.  I did try a lye relaxer (a couple different brands, done by a professional) and each time I was in tears because my scalp burned so bad and I left with sores each time.  I was based very well.  My post is know to put down lye relaxers by any means.  Just to tell about my experience and to say, I think it depends on the person (truely)!

Good Luck Ladies! Hug

NicholeHug , I thought about you just the other day, I miss seeing you around.  I must tell you, do not change a thing.  I am indeed proud of your progress Big%20smile.   I agree, it depends on each individual.   
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2007 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by HyBrId*ReBeL HyBrId*ReBeL wrote:

So since the majority of people are leaning toward lye relaxers, which one in your opinion would be good to use? Or which one do you use/are planning on using? I'm thinking of transitioning back into relaxers (maybe texlaxing-not sure yet, but I'm not planning on doing anything for another year) & the no-lye really damaged my hair. It wouldn't retain any moisture at all and broke my hair off. I look around and see a lot of people here who have very beautiful relaxed hair & I want to know their secret!! LOL

Hi HyBrid, there are a few relaxers that one can purchase without been licensed. Right now, after thinking throughout the years, IMO, if I had to make a choice today, for a relaxer that I could purchase off the shelf.  For ME it would be Revlon.  Hawaiin Silky did well at first, but they have formulated the relaxer once too many.  IMO, Bantu is very harsh, there are some other brands also that are good.  I was feeling silk Elements for a minute, but there are too many cases of, after a two to three weeks, the hair starts to lose that relaxed look in sections. Although, I am aware of the fact, that the bonds are chemically altered.  I am using my hair, and a few people as examples why I came to this conclusion.   IMO, if you would like that texlaxed look, then I would suggest Silk Elements.  Yes, there are so many ladies, with beautiful relaxed hair. I am also loving the natural ladies hair, and I think at some point I will go natural Smile.  The secret is to starting on a good regimen, one that works for you.  It can be trial and error at first, as far as finding the right products.  The key is to keep that moisture/protein balance.  Using a daily moisturizer, deep conditioning.  Treating your hair like fine lace.  One product that is good, to incorporate in your regimen is Roux Porosity Control.

Edited by Claudie - Jun 06 2007 at 11:33pm
LunaStar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2007 at 1:41am
Hey Claudie!

You seem to be the expert on the matter so I'll direct this question to you.  I've been using no lye relaxers since I've been getting a relaxer (8 years) and I have a sensitive scalp apparently.  Scalp burns were always the norm for me.  I would base with vaseline, not comb or brush or practically touch my head for a full 5 or so days before the relaxer to avoid irritation and would always get burns, that turned into scabs on my scalp, usually around the nape area.

I had always been advised by my parents that since I have a sensitive scalp, and since no lye is apparently EASIER on the scalp, that lye would KILL me.  They told me that lye feels like pouring hot grease on your scalp, and that I would not be able to stand it.  So if I want my hair to be healthy and relaxed, but am afraid to try Lye relaxers, what should I do?

THanks so much!

<33 Luna
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2007 at 3:15am
Originally posted by LunaStar LunaStar wrote:

Hey Claudie!

You seem to be the expert on the matter so I'll direct this question to you.  I've been using no lye relaxers since I've been getting a relaxer (8 years) and I have a sensitive scalp apparently.  Scalp burns were always the norm for me.  I would base with vaseline, not comb or brush or practically touch my head for a full 5 or so days before the relaxer to avoid irritation and would always get burns, that turned into scabs on my scalp, usually around the nape area.

I had always been advised by my parents that since I have a sensitive scalp, and since no lye is apparently EASIER on the scalp, that lye would KILL me.  They told me that lye feels like pouring hot grease on your scalp, and that I would not be able to stand it.  So if I want my hair to be healthy and relaxed, but am afraid to try Lye relaxers, what should I do?

THanks so much!

<33 Luna

Hi LunaStar, sorry I just now saw your question.  I am not an advocate of using vaseline, to base the scalp for a relaxer.  Summit Lab has an excellent ssalp base, and also Perfect Results Scalp Therapy.  I feel that if you use any of the two products, your scalp burning will be over with. Honestly, I feel that you would benefit, by sticking to No-lye, since it is working for you, and your scalp is delicate.  IMO, the relaxer should not be put directly on the scalp.  Whenever I do a relaxer, I start from about 1/16th of an inch from the scalp.  Yes, ultimately some relaxer will get on the scalp, but IMO, this is the proper way to apply a relaxer.  No-lye is easier on the scalp, but harder on the hair.  Once you make sure that you keep your hair balanced with moisture, and also protein.  Moisturize your hair daily, your hair will not dry out.  You can make the No-Lye work for you.  You can also use ORS Uplifting Shampoo, to remove the calcium deposits, that No-lye is known for.  Lye is definetly harder on the scalp, gentler on the hair.

Be careful about getting scalp burns, make sure that your scalp is based properly, around your ears etc.  If you should get scalp burns in the future.  Be sure to use a triple antibiotic cream in the area/areas.  You would not want the scalp to become infected.  Honestly, some people feels that the hair is not relaxed unless their scalp start burning.    I am shocked at times to read posts, about people leaving relaxers on their hair for 40 minutes Shocked.  When relaxing, one should let the chemical do the work, some people feel, if they are not beating up the hair and scalp, with the back of a comb the hair will not process. 

Edited by Claudie - Jun 25 2007 at 3:17am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123