Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Lupita N'yongo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 209>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 20 Votes, Average 4.10  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Nairobi, Kenya

It's nice to see a video of Africa that ain't starving people, children soldiers and rape. It's like every other place s allowed to show the best sides of themselves in mainstream except Africa.
Sponsored Links

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by Fraiche2Death Fraiche2Death wrote:

In my opinion as soon as she says anything white people feel uncomfortable with (seemingly towards them) they will try to destroy her.

what did Viola say?

Yep, yep
I really hope she's just capitalising on her fame and not trusting whitey too much
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 2:11pm
perfect k'naan song on a sunny friday.  Heart

Fraiche2Death View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Fraiche2Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 2:26pm
Once she started speaking out on the differences between herself and white actresses, her experiences with white people in Hollywood, her experiences with white people period, not always having positive things to say about playing a maid etc. you could tell they got uncomfortable w/her.. thought she was "getting angry".

Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Originally posted by Fraiche2Death Fraiche2Death wrote:

In my opinion as soon as she says anything white people feel uncomfortable with (seemingly towards them) they will try to destroy her. Viola Davis was talking waaay too much for their taste. Besides being a woman of a certain age & her looks not being as acceptable to them...but they tried it. Happens all the time.

what did Viola say?

zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 2:56pm
xoJane Mobile

PREVHOMENEXT

I Was Raised To Honor My African-ness And Avoid Becoming Black With A Capital B

Zeba Blay - 3 Days Ago

Posted in Issues, African, African American, Ghana, race, racial politics

There were a lot of reactions to Lupita Nyong’o’s historic win at this year’s Academy Awards -- pride, elation, hope, and, for many African Americans, a resounding sense of relief. A black woman had won this prestigious, coveted award, and not just any black woman, but one with the potential to change Hollywood’s longstanding perceptions about what a leading lady is supposed to look like. 

Amid the excited tweets and text messages from my friends on Oscar night, there was also my aunt’s reaction. Two minutes after Lupita had left the stage with the powerful affirmation that all our dreams are valid, my aunt called to say: “The girl is so articulate! Thank God she is one of us. You know, not one of them.”

I instantly recognized the distinction that my aunt was making -- a distinction and a separation that I myself have struggled to reconcile with for years. Because by “one of us,” she meant African. She meant that Lupita wasn’t like those other black people, African-Americans, and that perhaps if Lupita wasn’t Kenyan, she’d lack the poise and the articulateness with which she has delivered all of her acceptance speeches this year. 

Comments like this have become almost expected from my aunt, a Ghanaian immigrant who came to America in the early 1980s and has lived here ever since. She is a nurse, like most of my relatives in the States and --  also like most of my relatives in the States -- always ends a phone call by first urging me to get a degree in medicine and next asking me when I’m going to get married. She is, at best, a sort of living caricature of the African Parent Meme, and at worst a figure who throughout my life has urged me to cling to my African-ness and distance myself from being black with a capital B. 

My Aunt at a Christmas party two years ago, shortly after explaining to me that "writing isn't a real job." 

I was born in Accra, Ghana, and when I meet new people I usually introduce myself as Ghanaian, not American, because I’ve never really felt like I am. My Ghanaian culture and upbringing was and is an important, vibrant part of who I am. And yet, I can’t deny that in many ways, I’m more American than I am Ghanaian, and that introducing myself as the latter is likely as much about pride as it is about wanting to seem worldly, unique.

I’ve spent most of my life growing up in “inner-city” America. I know AAVE and Spanglish but my own native language, Fanti, is a mystery to me. I enjoy French fries and burgers as much if not more than my mother’s legendary fufu and palmnut soup. I stand at the intersection of two cultures, but in a way, I also stand apart. 

There is this myth that African immigrants and African-Americans cannot get along -- a myth I believe is designed to continue widening the chasm created by American slavery, which connected us even as it pulled us apart. Sometimes I feel as though members of my own family have taken on white fear and disdain for black people in America perhaps as an unconscious act of assimilation. It’s in the way I hear some of my older relatives refer to African Americans, criticizing them and calling them “blacks,” as if they are not black themselves, labeling them as lazy, dangerous and loud, and reprimanding me if I exhibit any of the traits that might make people (usually white people) confuse me for a non-African. 

When I was in grade school in Jersey City, New Jersey, my classmates called me “Zebra.” Kids who looked just like me would say I was too black: “That African ass, blue-black.” They would ask me if my father had AIDS, if my mother lived in a grass hut and walked around braless, if I had a pet lion. They’d make monkey noises when I entered a room. They’d ask me why I “talk so white.” 

It was awful, but it was only a sort of bookend to my experiences when I went to live in Accra at 20. When I go back to Ghana, my American-ness becomes starkly apparent. Paradoxically, in a country where everyone looks like me, I feel an astounding self-awareness that I don’t when I’m in the US. I can barely speak my own language -- what little I do know is badly accented, and comes out in stops and starts that garner ridicule and laughter from both relatives and strangers alike. Strangers refer to me as an oburoni: white person.

Ultimately, the complexities of growing up African in America are as much tied to race as they are to nationality. There is a privilege that comes with being African that some of us tend to ignore. To the larger world, you’re perceived as not having all the weight that comes along with the legacy of slavery (as if slavery didn’t affect us all). You’re viewed, in a way, as more “authentically black.”  

But for me, part of my journey in truly embracing my blackness has been in embracing my American identity. It’s been in looking at a Lupita and not only seeing an African, but a woman standing as a beacon for people across the diaspora.

Home | About | Desktop Version

© 2012 SAY Media, Inc.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 4:08pm
Errbody wanna be Black, nobody wanna be Black

Her Auntie sounds like a coon
Don't we all have one of those

Edited by Alias_Avi - Mar 07 2014 at 4:08pm
juicifruit89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juicifruit89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 4:35pm
The gossip blogs are saying K'naan is actually married with kids...don't think they're dating.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 4:40pm
Someone please post the Huffington Post article written by Kamau Bell about the obsession surrounding her
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

perfect k'naan song on a sunny friday.  Heart

Oh that's who that is?! I love that song!
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by juicifruit89 juicifruit89 wrote:

The gossip blogs are saying K'naan is actually married with kids...don't think they're dating.

...at this point you're probably dating Lupita.LOL
wait no--Star isLOLLOLLOL

I think black people are so un-used to a black woman being the new "It Girl" we're like looking for something wrong.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 209>
  Share Topic