Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Lupita N'yongo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 209>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 20 Votes, Average 4.10  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:41am
I don't have a fetish for dark skin. I appreciate all black beauty beauty. But I do see dark skin on like some affirmative action shyt. So I can appreciate it for that reason.

Edited by liesnalibis - Mar 06 2014 at 11:42am
Sponsored Links

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:41am
a post from tumblr

Black people couldn’t wait to jump up and find something negative about lupita nyong’o being the ‘it’ girl.

Already.

She won just 3 days ago.

And y’all already got essays about the fetishization of lupita nyong’o
Knowing damn well you’d write a “racism at the Oscars” essay if she didn’t win.
Fraiche2Death View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fraiche2Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:45am
To white people Lupita is "safe". Bottom line. White people like her story, she's so spritely and feminine and always smiling and never talks about "the struggle", has an education & talks like a Disney princess. She's dark..but one of the happy ones and not bitchy like American black women and is all grateful. Not loud and proud like Taraji and not preachy like Jada Pinkett. Just smiley happy African. Did yall see Get Him To The Greek? Remember this scene? White people. Somebody imbed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcg7QU3uGxQ

naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:46am
OMG  I am disappointed in the way this thread is going~
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:48am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Of course people were offended by Gabourey. I was offended by Gabourey. Can't we have a positive image on TV once in a while? Why do we always have to be a caricature?

While I agree...I was talking about out of character.  Gabourey has said some touching things etc but she get's shaded to death no matter what she says just based on her size. Even tho her colouring is just as gorgeous as Lupita's.  This conversation didn't spark when Gabby hit the scene because it was generally thought that she is not pretty therefore she need not be reppin' for dark girls.  Dark girls already got the rep for being fat and sloppy. It was said that Gabourey's background wasn't spoken of like Lupita's.  Of course not...she's american.  NY born.  Nothing special or exotical there.

Edited by newdiva1 - Mar 06 2014 at 12:00pm
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:48am
Lupita's beauty is uncontroversial in a sense that most people can see it. The shock and amazement surrounding her looks are borderline offensive. People are practically saying... "I can't believe someone as dark as she is is as beautiful as she!"

Marc Lamont is exactly right when he says that non-Black people are excited to find her genuinely attractive so they can use her as their token... their card to pull when they're told they're racist or colorist

She is just another example of how Black people must be "exceptional" in order to be embraced as normal or embraced in general

But I still love the girl

Edited by Alias_Avi - Mar 06 2014 at 11:55am
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:49am
Ya'll putting too much into Lupita

It's getting weird..

Edited by Rumbera - Mar 06 2014 at 11:51am
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:50am
i thought it was interesting how we talk for dayyys and pages about gabby and how she can never get it right.. 

but she finally got it right this most recent award show and there was very little commentary about it… 

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

a post from tumblr

Black people couldn’t wait to jump up and find something negative about lupita nyong’o being the ‘it’ girl.

Already.

She won just 3 days ago.

And y’all already got essays about the fetishization of lupita nyong’o
Knowing damn well you’d write a “racism at the Oscars” essay if she didn’t win.
there would have been racism essays if 12 years period ain't get no kind of awards let alone Lupita. *shrugs*  to speak on the possible fetishism...I don't see that as a negative thing if there's some truth to it. 
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2014 at 11:51am
LoL @ the black friend comparison--"See, we do find a dark skin girl pretty!" Big smile

^^^I'm still watching the video

Edited by liesnalibis - Mar 06 2014 at 11:53am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 139140141142143 209>
  Share Topic