Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lupita Nyongo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair
 

Lupita Nyongo

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 204>


Bootiful Cream



Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 20 Votes, Average 4.10  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Avatar

Joined: Dec 29 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Status: Offline
Points: 22533
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

But don't we know that YT folks are like that already?

Of course they think that they're deserving of everything they have because if they didn't, they'd have to suffer with the shame of the truth. The truth being that they acquired their wealth, status and power through the horrific abuses of others

We also already know that White people LOVE ignoring the important matters of race in place for stupid little trivial things like how Ellen poked fun at Liza. They have barely talked about why 12 Years was so important of a movie

I'm more excited that this film will be shown in schools despite my issues with the film


Sure, we already know this. Doesn't mean we should ignore it. I'm surprised that black folks don't even seem to register her "joke" at all and the implications behind it. No one in the media, not even the black media even mentioned it. This is strange to me. When I first started watching the show, I thought Ellen was funny and I was grinning until her comment. It kinda ruined the experience for me.

And frankly, I'm excited at potentially seeing Solomon Northup's book enter the curriculum just like Anne Frank's Diary. The movie was a good vehicle for that but it shouldn't be focused on as much as the actual memoir.


Geeeeeeeeesh woman .. nobody registered this as a joke but you ... because you_are_paranoid. DUH!:O

Surely there is a racist .. or AT LEAST a racist comment or ... even a racist thought being made around every corner .. in your little world.

And if you can't put your finger on it .. you will figure out a way to spin it .. into a racist attack. I wonder if you realize many people read your posts wonder about your spinning your wheels over ... nothing.

Must be a hard life to always be on the look out for (shhhh) .... racists. They are EVERYWHERE! Hee hee!

Hey, no need to flip out on me for telling you what a lot of folks are thinking too because as usual ... I am out of this thread. But you can flip out and entertain the others if you like.

Ready...set... GO!
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Apr 11 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 46255
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:11pm
Right on time.
Back to Top
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 10 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 211574
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 3:39pm
Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 156937
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

But don't we know that YT folks are like that already?

Of course they think that they're deserving of everything they have because if they didn't, they'd have to suffer with the shame of the truth. The truth being that they acquired their wealth, status and power through the horrific abuses of others

We also already know that White people LOVE ignoring the important matters of race in place for stupid little trivial things like how Ellen poked fun at Liza. They have barely talked about why 12 Years was so important of a movie

I'm more excited that this film will be shown in schools despite my issues with the film


Sure, we already know this. Doesn't mean we should ignore it. I'm surprised that black folks don't even seem to register her "joke" at all and the implications behind it. No one in the media, not even the black media even mentioned it. This is strange to me. When I first started watching the show, I thought Ellen was funny and I was grinning until her comment. It kinda ruined the experience for me.

And frankly, I'm excited at potentially seeing Solomon Northup's book enter the curriculum just like Anne Frank's Diary. The movie was a good vehicle for that but it shouldn't be focused on as much as the actual memoir.


Geeeeeeeeesh woman .. nobody registered this as a joke but you ... because you_are_paranoid. DUH!:O

Surely there is a racist .. or AT LEAST a racist comment or ... even a racist thought being made around every corner .. in your little world.

And if you can't put your finger on it .. you will figure out a way to spin it .. into a racist attack. I wonder if you realize many people read your posts wonder about your spinning your wheels over ... nothing.

Must be a hard life to always be on the look out for (shhhh) .... racists. They are EVERYWHERE! Hee hee!

Hey, no need to flip out on me for telling you what a lot of folks are thinking too because as usual ... I am out of this thread. But you can flip out and entertain the others if you like.

Ready...set... GO!


STFU
Back to Top
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 27 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 76097
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:13pm
LOLLOLLOLLOL
Back to Top
fckwitmeuknoigotit View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 28 2013
Status: Offline
Points: 31297
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote fckwitmeuknoigotit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:39pm
samuel j jackson's take on hollywood and 12 years a slave:
 
Thank God for Samuel L. Jackson. He’s one of the few big movie actors today who is always quotable. He always has something interesting to say - whether you agree with him or not. This time it’s about racism and Hollywood.

In an interview in the International Business Times over the weekend, Jackson said that Hollywood, by and large, still avoids dealing with racism and that 12 Years A Slave is a perfect example of that.

According to Jackson, the only reason why the film got made was because director Steve McQueen is British and not African-American, implying, I assume, that his take on slavery would be “safer” in a manner of speaking.

As Jackson said: "I would think that if an African-American director went into a studio and pitched that particular film, they would be like: 'No, no, no.' It is a film about African-Americans – a dark period of history that they don't like to explore in that particular way."

He further added that: "Look, I'm glad 12 Years got made and it's wonderful that people are seeing it and there is another view of what happened in America. But I'm not real sure why Steve McQueen wanted to tackle that particular sort of thing."

I should, at this point, add that personally I’ve always thought and have said that the fact that McQueen was not African-American made him more likely to make a film about slavery, since I hold that African-Americans are still too psychologically shell-shocked, and therefore African American directors too, in dealing with the subject. But then that’s me (Charles Burnett's Nightjohn and Gordon Parks' Solomon Northup's Odyessy, the original 12 Years A Slave, being a few exceptions).

Jackson went on to say that a film such as Fruitvale Station is more honest and “braver” than 12 Years was, in dealing with the subject of race in America:

"It explains things like the shooting of Trayvon Martin, the problems with stop and search, and is just more poignant. America is much more willing to acknowledge what happened in the past: 'We freed the slaves! It's all good!' But to say: 'We are still unnecessarily killing black men' – let's have a conversation about that."

So what do you say. Do you agree with Jackson, or is he talking nonsense?
Back to Top
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 10 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 277002
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:43pm
He's right. Also, America would never embrace an African American beauty (not biracial) like they have Lupita (though I'm happy that they've had and her image is still important). Wholeheartedly agree with this...

"It explains things like the shooting of Trayvon Martin, the problems with stop and search, and is just more poignant. America is much more willing to acknowledge what happened in the past: 'We freed the slaves! It's all good!' But to say: 'We are still unnecessarily killing black men' – let's have a conversation about that."
Back to Top
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 08 2007
Location: Escarpin
Status: Offline
Points: 456428
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 4:53pm
I think he has a point in the sense that Hollywood loves non-Americans, white and black.

I just think--for example--if I was playing Patti or if an American played Patti it would be different bc we are the descendents of slaves--it would be more poignant. Two Africans but not African-Americans.

I mean idk if Hollywood necessarily differentiates between the two--they just see "black."

I mean how long has Danny Glover been trying to get Toussaint made?
Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 156937
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 5:05pm
I think there is some truth in what is saying. However I don't know why they would think that McQueen's take would be "safer". Isn't he of West Indian descent? Meaning he is a descendant of slaves as well. And the script writer (coonish as he may be) is AA. But yeah, white americans love british actors and british blacks have been getting a lot of exposure lately.

You know what's ironic though? The one actress whose lines were hard to understand was Alfre Woodard's (the one prominent AA actress in the cast). Which is funny because her dialect was probably the most authentic for the times. International audiences will have a difficult time with her part. I didn't get a lot of what she was saying.
Back to Top
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 27 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 76097
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2014 at 5:09pm
I didn't understand shyt Alfre Woodard said.
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 204>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down