Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Lupita Nyongo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 204>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 20 Votes, Average 4.10  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 11:34pm

Edited by liesnalibis - Feb 28 2014 at 11:36pm
Sponsored Links

liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 11:41pm
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 11:55pm
wow shes worn almost every colorLOL

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 9:11am
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Im just tired of folk acting like having dark skin is a handicap.
"woe is me im dark skinned"

and im not talking about anyone on here btw 

Im just tired of black folk acting like having black skin is a handicap.
"woe is me im black"

- said every Republican in America.

It's crazy to me how in sync a lot of black folk's logic is with that of white people when it comes to acknowledging the effects of colorism on darker blacks. Cray.

Edited by femmemichelle - Mar 01 2014 at 9:12am
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 9:24am
dont know anyone irl who has had an issue with her skin or where her skin hue us even mentioned when she comes up in conversation

maybe thats just me

now that i think about it the whole concept of colourism was introduced to me via the net
juniper angel View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote juniper angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 10:38am
I dont think people go around screaming damn I hate dark skin but imo I could see the dynamic between dark skin girls light skin girls and Brothas and you can tell some feel some type of way.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 10:51am
Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

I dont think people go around screaming damn I hate dark skin but imo I could see the dynamic between dark skin girls light skin girls and Brothas and you can tell some feel some type of way.

Exactly. Growing up, it was always unspoken but it was there. It was obvious that the dudes would gravitate towards the light skinned chicks and that families/the community as a whole would treat them more special. The praise on good hair was always there also. I don't understand how anyone can't see that unless they have glaucoma and cataracts. Denial is real.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 11:28am
when i was really young my skin color was talked about all the time.. just like lupita was saying. 
when you hear and see things enough you start to believe it/feel a way about it.. 

im glad i didnt carry that with me as long as she did though..
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 11:30am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

Im just tired of folk acting like having dark skin is a handicap.
"woe is me im dark skinned"

and im not talking about anyone on here btw 

Im just tired of black folk acting like having black skin is a handicap.
"woe is me im black"

- said every Republican in America.

It's crazy to me how in sync a lot of black folk's logic is with that of white people when it comes to acknowledging the effects of colorism on darker blacks. Cray.

lol girl bye
you must be in your feelings
Not once did i ever say there isn't any negative colorism associated with dark skin
But if it makes you feel better to think I did
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 11:45am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

when i was really young my skin color was talked about all the time.. just like lupita was saying. 
when you hear and see things enough you start to believe it/feel a way about it.. 

im glad i didnt carry that with me as long as she did though..

I'm sure it happened. As for myself, the only person who ever openly mentioned my colour was my cousin in NYC. We were getting dressed to go somewhere and she flat out told me that she was lighter than me with a grin on her face. I just responded "so what"? She didn't reply and had this satisfied look on her face. And there was my grandmother talking abut why I didn't inherit her "good hair". But my mother shut that down with the quickness. At school, it was the light-skinned girls that segregated themselves and who wouldn't utter a word to the dark ones.

The incidents that shocked me the most was when I was already grown. I was on a trip to Haiti. This old man approached me in a movie theater and told me I was such a 'beautiful black woman' and I looked at him like wtf because he was just a light skinned black man to me but I guess he considered himself a "mulatto".
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 204>
  Share Topic