Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lupita N'yongo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7879808182 191>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 19 Votes, Average 4.05  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 12:29am
I don't want to make it seem like all that matters is what white people want but everyone has an angle and they need to work it. 24 inch straight or wavy weave might be attractive in the black community because we tend to have some self image issues but those kinds of additions only wear off your own novelty.Those women are a dime a dozen.
Sponsored Links

creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 12:38am
I don't care about how she wears her hair. I don't mind a switch sometimes.

Lupita looks so pretty in green. She made me want to wear color. Almost.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 12:51am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

L'upita....I get the feeling that u not gone catch her in no "black" movies. 

@ lies.  I would put my head on a block to say that L'upita is gettin' the shine because she is not AA.  I can't say i've ever seen an AA actress being embraced the way she is...even the classy ones such as Bassett. 

I'm sure you have AA actresses out here with her look but they don't have her background.  AA's that look like her...i'm quite sure they are turned away for looking too black while L'upita...because she is where she is from she is automatically seen as a different negro.  I'm sure if all the AA's actresses threw away their hair ...they'd get big upped but they wouldn't all of a sudden start pulling top bill in movie credits in Oscar worthy movies with an AAA-list co-star.

I feel like I can't articulate correctly right now.  *sucks teeth*  fucc it.  I'm just gone leave that.

I see what you're saying but I just don't think we can test that theory because most black actresses/singers are so watered down and try so hard to be what they are not. If the majority of actresses carried themselves anything like Lupita and still weren't getting shine then I'd agree. But look at Grace Jones, white folks loved her look too. A black woman is like no other. When you try to be like everything else out there is when you f*ck up.

True...but alot of AA actresses wouldn't have even got put on if they didn't conform the way they were tole to by their agents and American Society.   Black folks from other places have a little more leeway in their looks and attitude because they are not seen as your typical nig.guh.  Grace is also "exotical black" so I kind of place her in the same category as L'upita.  Grace was embraced by white folks even back then because again...IMO...she was not AA.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

@newdiva1

Do you listen to the Black-in-Asia's podcast called "hyphenated"?

I can't remember if I dropped this link here already but the guy is Nigerian/Swedish American immigrant himself and he's stated the same thing, so you're def not the only one who noticed that too

https://soundcloud.com/hyphenated-lives/all-hail-queen-lupita-black

https://soundcloud.com/hyphenated-lives/black-immigrants-vs-african

nope.  i'll have to give it a listen.

eta:  I think I did hear the first one a while back.  I don't think i've heard the second link tho.

Edited by newdiva1 - Feb 20 2014 at 12:56am
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 12:52am
Grace Jones is not AA?

Did not know that. It all makes sense now.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 12:55am
Eating a chocolate BAFTA:

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 12:57am
Grace is from....Jamaica...I think.  But she get's her cosmopolitan also because she was well traveled from young.  I used to think she was French.

Edited by newdiva1 - Feb 20 2014 at 12:57am
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 1:51am
  • Grace Jones
    Singer
  • Beverly Grace Jones is a Jamaican singer, actress and model. She was born in Spanish Town, Jamaica and raised by her grandparents. When she was thirteen she and her siblings moved to her parents' home in Syracuse, New York. Wikipedia
  • BornMay 19, 1948 (age 65), Spanish Town, Jamaica

Ms_Kudos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ms_Kudos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 7:18am
    Lupita is getting recognition because she's beautiful.  Grace got recognition because she's baaad...honestly, it's like the chic said in the skin lightening thread, Westerners embrace the dark African (Lupita/Alek), not the brown African.
    newdiva1 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2014 at 7:22am

sheeeyiiiiiiiiiiiiid.

I respectfully disagree...to a certain extent. 

Edited by newdiva1 - Feb 20 2014 at 7:23am
    Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
    GreatGlam.com
    Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
    The Elite Hair Care Sorority
    Electric Cherry Hair
    Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
    Human Hair Wigs
    Wefting Training
    Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
    The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
    DHT Blocker System