BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Lupita N'yongo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 207>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 20 Votes, Average 4.10  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 11:45am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

when i was really young my skin color was talked about all the time.. just like lupita was saying. 
when you hear and see things enough you start to believe it/feel a way about it.. 

im glad i didnt carry that with me as long as she did though..

I'm sure it happened. As for myself, the only person who ever openly mentioned my colour was my cousin in NYC. We were getting dressed to go somewhere and she flat out told me that she was lighter than me with a grin on her face. I just responded "so what"? She didn't reply and had this satisfied look on her face. And there was my grandmother talking abut why I didn't inherit her "good hair". But my mother shut that down with the quickness. At school, it was the light-skinned girls that segregated themselves and who wouldn't utter a word to the dark ones.

The incidents that shocked me the most was when I was already grown. I was on a trip to Haiti. This old man approached me in a movie theater and told me I was such a 'beautiful black woman' and I looked at him like wtf because he was just a light skinned black man to me but I guess he considered himself a "mulatto".
Sponsored Links

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 11:56am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

dont know anyone irl who has had an issue with her skin or where her skin hue us even mentioned when she comes up in conversation

maybe thats just me

now that i think about it the whole concept of colourism was introduced to me via the net

I find that hard to believe.  Africa has plenty of skin bleachers.  I doubt the psychology behind that appeared only in the internet age and only on the internet.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Mar 01 2014 at 11:56am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

dont know anyone irl who has had an issue with her skin or where her skin hue us even mentioned when she comes up in conversation

maybe thats just me

now that i think about it the whole concept of colourism was introduced to me via the net

I find that hard to believe.  Africa has plenty of skin bleachers.  I doubt the psychology behind that appeared only in the internet age and only on the internet.

I find that hard to believe as well. Africa is not immune to this phenomenon, especially in the upper classes. And him haven't been living in London for a number of years makes it particularly hard to believe as well. Dude just playing dumb.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:01pm
when i was really young.. if i had a quarter for every 'brunt crispy' variation and 'black as hell' creative ass comment.. id have a lot of money.. (I'm not as dark as i used to be for some reason) 

and yea.. as i got into late middle schoolish age i got a lot of those 'so pretty for a dark girl' in the beginning.. then it turned into 'the prettiest or one of the prettiest dark girls' (there would be the occasional non-ignorant guy that would be like, 'no… she's just hella pretty periodClap mind you this was like 10 years ago) 
then as time went on i feel like ppl started to notice more beauty in dark girls.. they stopped acting like i was some rare unicorn. 
i think ppl have made a lot of progress… i dont think crazy things like that are said anymore.. 

Edited by coconess - Mar 01 2014 at 12:06pm
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:01pm

maybe thats just me

bleaching is/was predominantly west african thing

you rarely hear bout that in the south

im from the south

nowadays its prevalent in the south as well but when i was growing up.. naaaah rarely, if ever
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:04pm
For a lot of black women, lupita came at the right time. It's not just her beauty...her decency is alluring. She's the woman we want to show our daughters and sons rather than the over sexualised images of riri bey etc. I'm a fan of both those women but Lupita is just a breath of fresh air.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:06pm

maybe thats just me

bleaching is/was predominantly west african thing

you rarely hear bout that in the south

im from the south

nowadays its prevalent in the south as well but when i was growing up.. naaaah rarely, if ever

Fair enough. I know you won't answer me directly but you mean to tell me that growing up as a diplomat's kid that you didn't notice any powerful men gravitating towards lighter skinned chicks? How come most African heads of states have their own version of Chantal Biya? Is that just coincidence? I would have believed that statement if you were just a poor dude from the village but in your case, I just don't.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Mar 01 2014 at 12:07pm
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:08pm
i dont care what you believe
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

For a lot of black women, lupita came at the right time. It's not just her beauty...her decency is alluring. She's the woman we want to show our daughters and sons rather than the over sexualised images of riri bey etc. I'm a fan of both those women but Lupita is just a breath of fresh air.

I think it's both her beauty and her class. Black women NEED to see women who look like her in the media. And EVERYBODY needs to see wholesome black women that don't spend their time shaking their booties in your face and accumulating baby daddies.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2014 at 12:11pm

i dont care what you believe

I figured that much. which is why I prefaced by I know you wouldn't answer me directly. I'm actually making the point for the other posters that you're most likely lying.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9394959697 207>
  Share Topic