BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Lupita Nyongo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 20 Votes, Average 4.10  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 8:14pm
Heart
i like everything but her hair and the color of her skirt/shoes 
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2014 at 9:17pm
^^Yeah, her hair looks better shorter.
This white man is so strange looking. Like an alien.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2014 at 6:13pm

SMH...

Lupita Nyong'o Was Told She'd Never Find A Husband Because Of Her Dark Skin Color

LUPITA NYONGO

We're certain it's the combination of Lupita Nyong'o's incredible talent (see: Academy Award) and killer looks (see: red carpet slayage) that have landed her on the cover of Glamour's 24th Women of the Year cover.

However the Kenyan actress, who is being honored at the magazine's annual star-studded event on November 10 in New York City, has also captured our hearts with her outspoken stance on standards of beauty. And the Lancome spokeswoman chatted candidly about her views in Glamour's December issue.

“European standards of beauty are something that plague the entire world -- the idea that darker skin is not beautiful, that light skin is the key to success and love," Nyong'o told Glamour. "Africa is no exception."

While Nyong'o has encountered colorism in her adult life, it's been a issue she's dealt with from childhood.

"When I was in the second grade, one of my teachers said, ‘Where are you going to find a husband? How are you going to find someone darker than you?’ I was mortified, the 32-year-old actress told Glamour. "I remember seeing a commercial where a woman goes for an interview and doesn’t get the job. Then she puts a cream on her face to lighten her skin, and she gets the job! This is the message: that dark skin is unacceptable. I definitely wasn’t hearing this from my immediate family -- my mother never said anything to that effect -- but the voices from the television are usually much louder than the voices of your parents.”

Sad, but true.

You can read more of Lupita's interview when the issue hits newsstands on November 11. In the meantime, here's a look at Lupita's stunning cover.

lupita nyongo

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Nov 03 2014 at 6:16pm
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2014 at 7:19pm
i love Lupita, but some of the stuff she usually says about growing up struggling in her dark skin in Kenya are a tad bit of exaggeration
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2014 at 8:27pm
just posting more pics

WOMAN OF THE YEAR: Lupita Nyong'o DISHES On Success, "The Lupita Effect" And Her Life AFTER The Oscars To GLAMOUR

Nov 03 | by _YBF

photo glamourl1.png

Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o covers GLAMOUR's "Women Of The Year 2014" issue where she opens up about "the Lupita Effect" and how her success has CHANGED Hollywood.  More inside...

photo glamourl3.png

You know you've really "made it" when the industry names a phenomenon after you.  This month,  Academy Award-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o sat down with GLAMOUR magazine this month where she talked about "The Lupita Effect" and how her "presence" has changed the game in both Hollywood and the industry of beauty.  It's dubbed "The Lupita Effect." 

In addition to landing the cover of the magazine's "Women of the Year 2014" issue, and sitting for her own interview, some of Lupita's most famous fans explained why she is a "gift" to Hollywood.  Here are the highlights:

On how her life has changed:

This is actually a conversation I look forward to having in 10 years, when all of this is behind me and I have some real perspective on what happened—because right now I'm still adjusting. I guess I feel catapulted into a different place; I have a little whiplash.... I did have a dream to be an actress, but I didn't think about being famous. And I haven't yet figured out how to be a celebrity; that's something I'm learning, and I wish there were a course on how to handle it. I have to be aware that my kinesphere may be larger than I want it to be.

I've had somebody say, "I want you at my wedding, but I don't want you to pull focus, so wear jeans!" Losing my anonymity is something that's proving to be very challenging.... It's good for your soul to walk around unnoticed; there's so much you can't do when everybody knows who you are. And I so miss those little things.

On winning the Oscar and life after:

I don't think I will ever be able to really articulate how bizarre it was to hear my name at the Academy Awards. I'd watched in my pajamas the year before! I felt numb—dazed and confused. I remember feeling light—weightless. More like limbo than cloud nine. At first I was like, This is my statue; nobody gets to touch it. And by midnight I was like, Please, someone, take this statue; it's too heavy! So I gave it to my brother, and he went off with it.

There was so much going on! It was overwhelming. That's the thing: You win an Oscar, and immediately people ask how you feel. So you don't have time to actually feel anything because you have to generate a response. And then some of the feelings you have are so intimate and visceral, words don't really do them justice.

On success and personal responsibility:

With success comes more responsibility, a larger size of existence, which is uncomfortable...I feel a responsibility to myself and my parents and the people whose love has gotten me this far—people who were in my life before fame. That's where I get my sense of self. It's deadly for anyone to take on that role of a deity; it's not sustainable. I've got tons of flaws. Call my mother—she'll tell you! She keeps it real. Sometimes you don't want to hear the truth; she'll tell it to you out of love.

On "the Lupita Effect"

I giggle. I just heard it for the first time. I've heard people talk about images in popular culture changing, and that makes me feel great, because it means that the little girl I was, once upon a time, has an image to instill in her that she is beautiful, that she is worthy—that she can... Until I saw people who looked like me, doing the things I wanted to, I wasn't so sure it was a possibility. Seeing Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah in The Color Purple, it dawned on me: "Oh—I could be an actress!" We plant the seed of possibility.

photo glamourl2.png

Actress Emma Thompson "As soon as Lupita appeared on the scene, I thought, This is a woman I need to photobomb. She's also an astounding actress. Oh, and a top human."

photo glamourl4.png

photo glamourl6.png

Playwright Eve Ensler "She is one of the great talents and spirits of our time, at the beginning of an extraordinary journey. I was literally knocked off my feet."

photo glamourl5.png

12 Years A Slave director Steve McQueen added "We auditioned over 2,000 women all around the world. I always compare it to the search for Scarlett O'Hara. I had a tape of Lupita's, and I couldn't believe it. I thought, Is this person real?... She's a total professional, incredible."

Edited by femmefatale85 - Nov 05 2014 at 9:15pm
nemesis1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nemesis1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2014 at 8:32pm
She's so pretty....
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2014 at 9:10pm
shes so damn bad....
im not a lezzi but gawtdayum she's such a beautiful person inside and out Heart
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2014 at 1:50am
just throwing this out there...so um, err, uh, well I guess Raven Simone can't feel the LUPITA EFFECT? meaning considering she doesn't consider herself AFRICAN (american)...

*skips along..

Edited by DiorShowGirl - Nov 06 2014 at 1:54am
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2014 at 1:29pm
 photo rs_560x381-141104102458-1024-lupita-nyongo-LAbsolu-Rouge-Final-Ad_copy_zps95f42952.jpg
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2014 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

i love Lupita, but some of the stuff she usually says about growing up struggling in her dark skin in Kenya are a tad bit of exaggeration

How? Everything she said has been pinpoint accurate from my perspective.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204>
  Share Topic