Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LOVE my results but poofy ends after relaxer?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
hairADDICT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairADDICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LOVE my results but poofy ends after relaxer?
    Posted: Aug 04 2012 at 9:57pm
Hey ,

my mom just got done relaxing my hair for me and thank God , it went pretty well. It's my second time using Optimum Salon Collection and I LOVE it ! I also used Aphogee 2 min reconstructor after rinsing out the relaxer and before neutralizing.  The first time was alright, hair wasn't really straight, I didn't care too much because I was going to weave my hair anyways but it still sucked to go through all that and come out with kinda straight/wavy hair and still struggle with my edges.  But tonight it's way better, my edges are super straight,  my hair feels strong, but my ends, like the last half of my hair is still a bit coarse, not straight like the top and edges. What can be done to prevent that ? I know they say not to overlap relaxer applications but if I relax my hair again in like 3-4 months, is that fine ?
Sponsored Links

kaai View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2012 at 8:59pm
sound like you need a trim that's all

before I trim after a relaxer I hit the ends w protector then flatiron... if they are still brittle or frizzy
 it's damaged & has got to go.

Edited by kaai - Aug 05 2012 at 8:59pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairADDICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2012 at 10:45pm
really ? isn't it because she should bring the relaxer all the way to the ends ? i mean if that hair isn't getting relaxer on it it would explain why the ends didn't take no ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairADDICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2012 at 5:56pm
and why are people freaking out about putting relaxer on the ends?!! my mom always massages it until the ends , i mean isn't that the point of a relaxer ... you can't only put relaxer on the first few inches of your hair ...
kaai View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2012 at 7:14pm
I know I pull my relaxer down my hair shaft.....
when I start working it in it go further & further.......

when u rinse your relaxer out it run by the hair shaft so its ok. I'm good....
I think after a relaxer if have poofy ends could be damaged or old ends.
I'm sure if I air dried my hair I would have poofy ends.  I blow dry....
its the only way I can manage my hair. ( heat trained) Once a month

you have to do what best's for you hair. I went 10 mos no relaxer... then my curls started grabbing my relaxed hair.. I hit the crack. My ends looked a mess after being in rows for 10 mos.
skinny old uneven... that's what old hair look like.
watch your hair.......
shamieya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shamieya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2012 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by hairADDICT hairADDICT wrote:

and why are people freaking out about putting relaxer on the ends?!! my mom always massages it until the ends , i mean isn't that the point of a relaxer ... you can't only put relaxer on the first few inches of your hair ...

I've seen people take the relaxer all the way to the ends- but the directions don't say to do that unless your hair is virgin. Relaxing relaxed hair will eventually over-process. I also haven't seen any professional hair dresser do this. Perhaps some people have no problem doing this but I wouldn't do it. Just toy around with some heat styling products and see what keeps your ends straight. Try some keratin-infused conditioners; they are supposed to help smooth the hair shaft.

Edited by shamieya - Aug 07 2012 at 8:41pm
katakana89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katakana89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2012 at 9:43pm
I believe that will over process your hair since the ends are already relaxed (unless the hair is virgin)....I wouldn't do it.

Originally posted by hairADDICT hairADDICT wrote:

Yellowbeauty22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbeauty22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 9:13am
Ive been getting my hair relaxed since I was about 13 and i have a pretty fine grade of hair so I only perm my new growth. Thats only because ive previously relaxed my hair . So i only need to "relax" my new growth . If you continue to relax all of your hair including new growth after it has prevously processed like the other ladies said it will eventually become very thin an overprocessed. I LOVE how my curls look after my hair has been relaxed and washed. BUT not all of my hair maintains the curls. Some areas get very dry an frizz looking while others look soft and curly...idk whats that all about. Im still learning my curl type...
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 9:20am

Relaxer should go on the new growth only, not on previously realxed ends.  If you smooth the relaxer over relaxed ends you will overprocess the hair which will lead to breakage..If your ends are poofy, just clip them.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply